Anybody have cruise control?

Any chance I could get the other site you are talking about here? I have two 98 Tj's. One has cruise and I want to change it to one that doesn't.
I'm in the middle of installing OEM cruise on my '98; I don't have anything factory pre-installed, so I'm starting from scratch. If you google "Junkyard Cruise Install Wrangler TJ", there are 2 threads on the WF forum that walk through this in pretty good detail. After I'm all done, I'll post up what I ended up doing as well.

Let me know if you have questions, I installed part of it yesterday.

How can I check the proper wiring to the ECM? I've got a 1999 that I've added all cruise control parts, but the switches, even though they are correct for my 1999 model year TJ, does get power to the solenoid. Light for Cruise Control has yet to even flash and I'm certain, it's just not getting power from the ECM.

Did you ever chase your gremlin down? I have just done the same on my 99 TJ, already had the under hood wiring harness, purchased the servo/bracket and steering wheel buttons and a new cruise control clock spring. Everything installed and plugged up and....nothing. Steering wheel buttons ad on ebay stated 98-02, so that has me a little worried now, unsure how to test to ensure they work and are correct resistance. I have run the quick test on the dash display/gages and everything lights up, including the Cruise light, I just can't get the cruise to switch on with button.

Did you ever chase your gremlin down? I have just done the same on my 99 TJ, already had the under hood wiring harness, purchased the servo/bracket and steering wheel buttons and a new cruise control clock spring. Everything installed and plugged up and....nothing. Steering wheel buttons ad on ebay stated 98-02, so that has me a little worried now, unsure how to test to ensure they work and are correct resistance. I have run the quick test on the dash display/gages and everything lights up, including the Cruise light, I just can't get the cruise to switch on with button.
Jeepntj, I was able to get my cruise control figured out. The ECM plug, the one closest to the motor had one of the wires broken when the wire cover was pulled back. Just my luck it was the one for the cruise. I’d done all I could, so a Jeep mechanic found it. Had me going in 30 minutes after soldering and heat shrink. My cruise light NEVER came on until this was fixed, so there may be an issue with the switches you have, but google how to look at numbers on them to make sure they are the correct ones. I actually bought two sets on eBay and sold one back after the fix. Wish I could help you more, because I know how frustrating this can be. Keep me posted and good luck. I use my cruise daily, so hang in there, it will be worth it. I assume your clock spring is wired for cruise? Sorry to ask, but making sure.

Jeepntj, I was able to get my cruise control figured out. The ECM plug, the one closest to the motor had one of the wires broken when the wire cover was pulled back. Just my luck it was the one for the cruise. I’d done all I could, so a Jeep mechanic found it. Had me going in 30 minutes after soldering and heat shrink. My cruise light NEVER came on until this was fixed, so there may be an issue with the switches you have, but google how to look at numbers on them to make sure they are the correct ones. I actually bought two sets on eBay and sold one back after the fix. Wish I could help you more, because I know how frustrating this can be. Keep me posted and good luck. I use my cruise daily, so hang in there, it will be worth it. I assume your clock spring is wired for cruise? Sorry to ask, but making sure.

Thank you , I'll definitely check the numbers on my switches, just to make sure. I actually had to buy a new clock spring, the original one did not have the CC pigtail, but the new one does.

If you have the wrong switches the computer will not recognize the signal and it will not work or give a light on the dash. Check the suffix 98-02 it should be AC 03-06 it will be AD. If you download the manual for your jeep and check the appropriate section it will tell you what resistance you should be seeing when the buttons are pressed. A little work with a ohm meter will tell you if it's within spec.

Reactions: jeepnTJ
If you have the wrong switches the computer will not recognize the signal and it will not work or give a light on the dash. Check the suffix 98-02 it should be AC 03-06 it will be AD. If you download the manual for your jeep and check the appropriate section it will tell you what resistance you should be seeing when the buttons are pressed. A little work with a ohm meter will tell you if it's within spec.

I pulled my switches back out tonight, and double checked the part numbers...they are 56007530 AC and 56007531AC, the Ebay ad stated they fit 98-02, which of course as I have learned the 97-98's have one resistance value and the 99-02 have different values. When I search those part numbers, the only thing that comes up is a 1998 Cherokee, mine is a 1999 Wrangler TJ. My measured values on the 200k ohm meter scale are as follows:

On/Off 1.0
Set 6.7
Resume/Accel 15.6
Cancel 00.0
Coast 3.0

I haven't been able to find the values needed for my 1999 TJ switches in the FSM that I have, it refers to a different manual that I don't have for Switch testing, do you happen to have the correct values or know where I can locate them?

I am reading 5 volts through the clock spring harness for the switches with ignition on, so it seems that the ECU is looking for the switches.

Morris 4X4 is calling for 56042311AC and 56042310AC as the correct part numbers for my 99, but before I drop a hundred on NOS switches, I am hoping I can verify that the values I am seeing are in fact incorrect for my jeep.

The 5 volts is correct its a can-bus system, the computer uses the 5 volts as a constant and what you change the voltage by tells the system what to do based on your inputs. My TJ is a 98 and they had the chart in the manual for the resistance on each switch to test them. the 99 manual does not show that chart and I would have to hunt the net to try and find it. There is a easier way though, pull your switches and on the back side you will see where there are two ears that fit over pins that allow them to rock. If you carefully pry one side then the other over the pins you can separate the button from the switch. under the button is a rubber cap and there will be 3 contacts each will be covered with two metal blisters that when depressed bridge the circuit below to complete the signal. when you have that stuff out of the way you can actually see the resistors and read the bands on them that will tell you what the resistance of each should be and a the ohm meter will verify if they are in spec. Both sets 98 and 99-02 look the same and are put together the same, the suffix and the resistors are the only difference. I was a little groggy last time being as I am working mid-nights but I gave you some incorrect data. 97 will be unique to itself. 98 will use the AC suffix 99-03 AD and 03-06 are different yet again. The pictures are of a 99 set a seller had incorrectly listed for a 98. One last thing I am not sure why but the number you have is different maybe it was superseded I am not sure, I do know the set I am currently using is exactly the same as the pictures but have AC instead.
MVIMG_20190323_163308.jpg
MVIMG_20190323_163348.jpg
MVIMG_20190323_163517.jpg
MVIMG_20190323_163812.jpg

Shandara, thank you so much for you input, just want a little clarification to make sure I understand. You stated in your reply that the part numbers for the 98 models should end in AC and for 99-03 it should be AD. You then state that the pictures you posted were in fact the incorrect ones for your application as they were identified as for a 98, but were in fact from a 99. The reason I am getting confused is the numbers you are showing are the exact part numbers that are on the switches I have received. I looked in the FSM for the 1998 model and as you indicated, there is a Speed Control Switch Continuity test diagram and the numbers it has listed for the 1998 model are exactly the values I am measuring. My conclusion at this point is that I have received 1998 switches and as such, the resistance values are wrong.

My only frustration at this point is how to ensure that I get the right ones the next time. Thanks again for your help and information, I think I am headed in the right direction at this point, just a matter of getting there. Even the part numbers from Morris for my 99 are ending in AC..

It turns out I took pictures of the back of both sets when I changed them and grabbed the 98 set without realizing that I even had one of it last night. from what I read there were some early AB ones as well that are supposedly interchangeable with AC switches. AD should be what your looking for. When I bought them they said the same thing, fit 98-02 and they didnt work with a bunch of research I found that AC was the suffix I needed and bought another set, the correct ones.

Last edited:
It turns out I took pictures of the back of both sets when I changed them and grabbed the 98 set without realizing that I even had one of it last night. from what I read there were some early AB ones as well that are supposedly interchangeable with AC switches. AD should be what your looking for. When I bought them they said the same thing, fit 98-02 and they didnt work with a bunch of research I found that AC was the suffix I needed and bought another set, the correct ones.

Roger that, thanks again!

I’m not planning on adding it, but is it something easy to add. If so how much would it cost for someone else to do the work. I don’t drive long distances in my TJ but someone must have it for overland trips?
Factory cruise and love it. I use my lj as a daily driver.