Anybody have cruise control?

SafariRumbler

TJ Enthusiast
I’m not planning on adding it, but is it something easy to add. If so how much would it cost for someone else to do the work. I don’t drive long distances in my TJ but someone must have it for overland trips?

I installed it in mine. Literally a 20 minute job if your TJ is pre-wired for it. One of the easiest things I've ever done.

Reactions: SafariRumbler
I’ve installed it. Took me maybe 15 minutes minus a road test.
Pop the switch blocks out of the steering wheel, pop switches in. (You’ll need to remove the airbag.)

Install the module under the dash, plug it into the vacuum lines, wiring harness, and run the throttle cable.

No PCU programming is required, so it can 100% be done at home.

On the steering wheel, there are 2 pieces of curved smooth plastic right next to the airbag/horn on either side. Once the airbag is popped out there should be something (a bolt or screw if I recall correctly) retaining them. The switches simply replace the plastic pieces.

Here’s a photo I pulled off Google:
CD37963E-A10C-436E-A199-E114B8B48351.jpeg

I just installed cruise in my 98 like the others have said very easy and quick biggest issue was finding the 97-98 switches first set I bought were incorrectly listed as 98's turned out they are 99-02 different resistance. They seem to be getting harder to locate I had to dig pretty deep to find a set. I came very close to ordering the resistors and was planning to remove the current ones and solder in the new ones when I finally found a set.

I just installed cruise in my 98 like the others have said very easy and quick biggest issue was finding the 97-98 switches first set I bought were incorrectly listed as 98's turned out they are 99-02 different resistance. They seem to be getting harder to locate I had to dig pretty deep to find a set. I came very close to ordering the resistors and was planning to remove the current ones and solder in the new ones when I finally found a set.
Do you have a list of specific items to purchase so a person does not get half way through and realize they are missing something? Looking for parts specific to a 98 as well.

Was your Jeep "pre-wired" as Chris mentioned? If so, what do I look for with the wiring?

So to make it all work it needs the wiring, buttons, clock spring, vacuum solenoid, the bracket for the solenoid and the throttle cable. Start by checking for the plug for the solenoid, then check the plug to the ECM for the proper wiring and finally check for the correct clock spring before ordering anything. Some wranglers came pre-wired. Some also shipped with proper clock spring even if it was not optioned with cruise. The thread I followed is actually from another site I suspect some here are not fans of but the info was good. If you PM me I'll send you a link to it. My TJ had all the wiring but I did need the clock spring and because of the year in addition to the mentioned parts I bought a new air bag with trim. The 98 had a one piece trim that extended to the rim of the steering wheel. The buttons replace the ears from the airbag to the to rim. Also make sure you get the short Y wiring harness that goes from the clock spring to each button set it will usually sell with the buttons as a set when buying used.

Last edited:
I just recently took my cruise out. Had to make room for the PSC hydro assist remote reservoir.

My 05 Unlimited had some Premier Package. Along with cruise also compass and temp rear view mirror, painted flares and chrome grill.

Yeah I don't get it. I have it in most of my cars and have never used it once. Some of my newer cars even have the kind that slows you down and speeds up in traffic and I have still yet to use it.