Anybody make / assemble knives?

scottgraham

Just another bad habit
Supporting Member
I decided a week or so ago to dabble in this. I'm not a collector, but just thought what the hell, why not.
I've been tying flies for about 40 years, custom built fishing rods/ designed fly rods and reels for the mainstream...I'll give knives a shot.
So I bought a few (cheap) knife blanks online to start out. I decided to make my own scales (handles). The first knife is finished, the handle is made from dried floral moss from the dollar store in resin. I decided to try my hand at file work on the handle steel...meh, not bad for the first try I guess.

IMG_0769.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

The blue one below I just started shaping the handle today. It is made from construction paper soaked in resin (some people call this technique micarta, but it's really not, that's a brand name for a similar process). Next one will be a hidden tang, then I have a few pocket knives I'm going to re-do. I have a Damascus blade on order to build one for my kid for his 18th birthday in a couple of weeks. I'll also be making sheaths for these, cause why not?
Don't know if I enjoy it enough to build a kiln (furnace?) and start banging them out of sheet steel...maybe once or twice, just to say I did it.

IMG_0780.jpg

Looks great!
I'm a blacksmith when I'm not at work. I've made several knives from many things.
I'll have to find the ones I've made from forge welded large mining cable.

I'm making one for a gift.
This is a nice blade, I hope I don't screw it up.
It was hand forged in Idaho Falls by a company w/ a really good reputation.
It is Damascus steel, about 350 layers of carbon and nickle rolled into it.
It's so friggin' sharp right out of the paper towel it was packed in ( :LOL: ), I could shave my arm hair w/ it.
I made some scale blanks but also bought some, did I say I don't want to screw it up?

61126813049__BC13D9EB-A2B4-4F2C-AE7A-B185CA9B05F8.jpg

Love knives and swords. Own a few, probably the coolest are Nepali made Kukris.
Thinking when I retire I would like to get into making knives. And/or forging replica medieval armor.

Very cool guys!

I dont make knives... but this week commissioned someone to restore a EGW WW2 Army standard issue combat knife.

My uncle passed away mid restoration, so I was glad to find an old school hobbiest to finish the work.

Pic is of knife before restoration.

20200525_204105.jpg

Hung out with the guy for a bit... he was happy to talk knives and show off his work.

Ended up buying a smaller blade of his...

He did the handle... its some old buffalo skinning blade he thinks.

20200526_193954.jpg

So my daughter asked me to do one for her husband. She really liked the dried moss handle. Should be a good camping knife for them, rough sanded, I'm pretty happy w/ it:

61324696494__A4343221-CB87-48D1-AFDF-5C78E61C6179.jpg

While I was wet sanding:

61325002235__29BA3FB4-A652-436A-9AB9-95D89BBD7D29.jpg

I have since filled in the air bubbles and will polish...