Anybody still read magazines?

I was a automotive magazine junkie in the pre-internet era. I now pick up JP Magazine occasionally but I'm not sure why ... old time sake I guess. There was a time not too long ago when you needed books, magazines, shop/parts manuals, etc. for reference material. I restored cars and built/raced off road cars going back to when I left high school in 1970 and that's what I relied on. I built a pretty sizable library but I honestly can't remember the last time I opened an actual automotive book for research purposes.

I attend an annual British car flea market and for the last 7 or 8 years I have been selling off my library bit by bit. There's still a market for used books and magazines and I can easily make $500 or $600 in a day. I think it's dwindling though. Why go to books when it's all on the internet?

Reactions: Kyle_W
I love flipping through magazines. Books I only read on my e-reader though.

My biggest gripe with magazines is that they are 50% ads. You end up paying $10 (at least in Canada) to look at mostly ads, and that drives me nuts.

Reactions: PCO6
I love flipping through magazines. Books I only read on my e-reader though.

My biggest gripe with magazines is that they are 50% ads. You end up paying $10 (at least in Canada) to look at mostly ads, and that drives me nuts.
I agree and not only that, with regards to current Jeeps, they're almost all ads for current models, which TJ's are not.

Reactions: derekmac
Maybe we can convince @Chris to start a TJ specific magazine. I'm Sure he has plenty of spare time.

Print is dead... well, the numbers say that much at least!

It would be cool though! I'm not sure if the return on investment would actually be worth it though.

I subscribed to Jp for 7-8 years until I got tired of the fluff that previous editor John Cappa kept throwing in. And BS articles that had technical errors in them. I actually like 4WD & Sport Utility a lot better and it has mostly Jeep articles. But I let both subscriptions lapse, there's not much new to be learned from either magazine with such an old design as the TJ.

The magazine I will never let my subscription lapse on is Air & Space magazine from the Smithsonian. I'm a flying & space junky, that magazine is something I read cover-to-cover on the night it gets delivered. Great magazine, I'd slit my wrists before letting that subscription lapse. :D

Reactions: Chris
I miss Bree Andre.
Ask Bree Three.
I dunno, I think Bree was a too-old former hottie turned skank. Her photos just took the magazine's quality down even further. Jp's quality was getting down the toilet by the time they started including her photos, subscriptions renewals were falling, and actually quite a few people including me wrote in to suggest they dump Bree and restore the quality to where it used to be before Cappa became Editor. They obviously put Bree's photos into the mag trying to boost sales but it backfired. A lot of people wrote in to say that Bree's photos turned Jp into a pretty trashy magazine, I agreed. Few were unhappy when they stopped posting her photos. I mean I like hot women like anyone but Bree had lost her hotness 20 years earlier.

I used to subscribe to Guns and Ammo, but aside from half of it being ads, the articles were always about guns I could never afford to even dream of owning.
The only magazine I buy now is the annual Hodgdon's Reloading Manual, doesn't really change much year to year unless new powders or loads come out.

The only magazine I buy now is the annual Hodgdon's Reloading Manual, doesn't really change much year to year unless new powders or loads come out.
Due to a couple month old new Springfield XD .45, I'm going to start doing some reloading again, something I haven't done in probably 20 years. I'll use my 20+ year old reloading manuals for load data, I doubt anything much has changed for the old venerable .45. Now to find a set of .45 dies. :)

Due to a couple month old new Springfield XD .45, I'm going to start doing some reloading again, something I haven't done in probably 20 years. I'll use my 20+ year old reloading manuals for load data, I doubt anything much has changed for the old venerable .45. Now to find a set of .45 dies. :)
Just a few new powders available, give CFE Pistol a try.
The only issue I have when reloading .45 ACP is that I have to sort the brass because .45's come in both large and small primer casings.

I use to subscribe to backpacker, mtnbike action, whitetail , guns and ammo but my interest in magazine subscriptions subsided drastically once i got my hands on a Smartphone.
I'm seconds away from everything that interests me.
Smartphone's and Amazon is making us lazy. Lol

Reactions: egclassic
Just a few new powders available, give CFE Pistol a try.
The only issue I have when reloading .45 ACP is that I have to sort the brass because .45's come in both large and small primer casings.
So far, all of the 45 brass I have been saving use large size primers.

December I subscribed to JP, Four Wheeler, and 4 Wheel & Off-road when they all had their deals going. Kinda missed flipping threw the pages while on the throne.

I have a JP magazine subscription. It was only like $11 for a year. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Same here. Had it for probably a decade. Have to say, though, they have been piling up unread for the last two years. Too much JK stuff anymore, plus most of the "DIY" projects in there would require a Brinks Truck heist to underwrite. Really should cancel my subscription...