Anybody up for a random meme dump?

1669781248249.png

The 8008 was the very first 8-bit microprocessor. I guess there's two of them, hence the "S".

No - that isn't what it means at all, but that's what I see nonetheless.

I thought you hated tech?… Or does this fall under “knowing your enemy”?

• Haha
Reactions: reddvltj
I thought you hated tech?… Or does this fall under “knowing your enemy”?

Sigh...

One more time: I made my living in hi-tech. I was using, programming, building (from the component level) and even designing computers long before most people had ever seen one or knew what one was. I know how to design hardware and software, and I know what good design is. What I don't like is pointless, sub-optimal, needless, and/or poorly designed systems - smartphones being but one example. Building a microprocessor into anything and everything just because you can is stupid (read: Cars or kitchen appliances among others). Shit programming found everywhere, written by code monkeys that never even took a CS-101 class results in bugs, crashes, piss-poor UI, and latency, latency, latency all over the place. And I certainly do not like technology designed to suck money out of my wallet - which is most of it today. My Kindle E-reader is the one exception I allow myself, because its cheaper than buying books and I do a LOT of reading as I don't watch (nor pay for) TV anymore. But the Kindle is a case in point with regards to shitty design. It used to be a delite to use, then some idiot at Amazon decided to fuck up both the programming as well as the UI. Now the UI is crap, and the thing is full of bugs and - you guessed it - latency!

I'm pissed off equally at Apple and Microsoft both for their continued de-contenting their software and systems in an attempt to make my expensive computers as brain dead and stupid as smartphones - Apple's excellent iPhoto program morphing into a hot mess called "Photos" is Exhibit A. Apple by their own admission optimized "Photos" for the Instachat and Snapgram crowd - to hell with anyone with a genuine interest in photography; but we did get an incomprehensible new way to organize our photos that nobody asked for. Apple's yearly releases of "new" Operating Systems that really aren't any different from the previous ones except that everything you were using is now broken and basic functionality such as connection to SMB shares is now buggy. Over at M$: Balmer's stupid touchscreen religion that resulted in the Windows 8 debacle, never mind their spyware games and smartphone-esque online only logins which are an ENORMOUS security hole. Software everywhere is being dumbed down ala smartphone "Apps", and migrating to the subscription model with everything in "the cloud" whether it needs to be or not. No thank you. I'm returning to Linux "next time".

Last edited:
Sigh...

One more time: I made my living in hi-tech. I was using, programming, building (from the component level) and even designing computers long before most people had ever seen one or knew what one was. I know how to design hardware and software, and I know what good design is. What I don't like is pointless, sub-optimal, needless, and/or poorly designed systems - smartphones being but one example. Building a microprocessor into anything and everything just because you can is stupid (read: Cars or kitchen appliances among others). Shit programming found everywhere, written by code monkeys that never even took a CS-101 class results in bugs, crashes, piss-poor UI, and latency, latency, latency all over the place. And I certainly do not like technology designed to suck money out of my wallet - which is most of it today. My Kindle E-reader is the one exception I allow myself, because its cheaper than buying books and I do a LOT of reading as I don't watch TV anymore. But the Kindle is a case in point with regards to shitty design. It used to be a delite to use, then some idiot at Amazon decided to fuck up both the programming as well as the UI. Now the UI is crap, and the thing is full of bugs and - you guessed it - latency!

I'm pissed off equally at Apple and Microsoft both for their continued de-contenting their software and systems in an attempt to make my expensive computers as brain dead and stupid as smartphones - Apple's excellent iPhoto program morphing into a hot mess called "Photos" is Exhibit A. Apple by their own admission optimized "Photos" for the Instachat and Snapgram crowd - to hell with anyone with a genuine interest in photography; but we did get an incomprehensible new way to organize our photos that nobody asked for. Apple's yearly releases of "new" Operating Systems that really aren't any different from the previous ones except that everything you were using is now broken and basic functionality such as connection to SMB shares is now buggy. Over at M$: Balmer's stupid touchscreen religion that resulted in the Windows 8 debacle, never mind their spyware games and smartphone-esque online only logins which are an ENORMOUS security hole. Software everywhere is being dumbed down ala smartphone "Apps", and migrating to the subscription model with everything in "the cloud" whether it needs to be or not. No thank you. I'm returning to Linux "next time".

1669821415029.png