Anyone added a coolant filter?

Installer

Any one seen or tried a coolant filter like this video ?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014BJYYW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CSD29Q/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I flushed changed coolant two years ago because the heat stopped working.
Back-flushing the heater core was nasty. It looked like thick chocolate bars coming out. Finally got every thing running clear and put Mopar coolant in.
Took quite a while to get the air out but using this just stuck in the radiator for an hour of idling ended up with no bubbles.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072BWG5GF/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Also no sign of water in the oil.

All has worked well until a few weeks ago. Flushed again and was just as bad. Finally got running clear using nothing but distilled water for the last 46 gallons of flushing and then put Zerex g-05 and distilled water 50/50. Running perfect and heating the cabin hot now. Just want to try and prevent it again ?

Thoughts ?

Thank you.

That's a complete waste of time and money, plain and simple.

Maintain your cooling system, NEVER use anything but distilled water (you shouldn't even need to use water, as coolant comes pre-mixed anyways), and take care of things. That's all there is to keeping a clean cooling system.

Understood about the distilled water; that is why after back-flushing with a garden hose filled and drained and ran and filled drained and ran so many times with 46 gallons of distilled. But even then is was not crystal clear. I would rather have a comparatively low cost filter in the line going to the heater to stop up than have all the Hershey bars in the heater core and radiator. I the filter stops up no harm is done other than no heat... just change the filter hopefully and get the heat back while continually filtering a bit of chocolate out of the system. Connected that way the radiator is still flowing.

Thanks to all for all your input !

Oh... Jerry Bransford: I always focus in on your post.. Thank you. I did self mix the water & coolant, just a not to other dummies like me: mark your jugs 50/50 & 100%, I got mixed up for a moment...

Engines have used oil and coolant for well over 100 years. The earliest didn't have filters for either liquid. I'm not sure exactly when the first oil filter was used but they found out it was needed and it quickly spread to almost every engine. I imagine a coolant filter was probably tried around that same time, possibly when well water was still used as coolant. I bet they figured out that something beyond just water was better than a filter so that's the path they took.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Engines have used oil and coolant for well over 100 years. The earliest didn't have filters for either liquid. I'm not sure exactly when the first oil filter was used but they found out it was needed and it quickly spread to almost every engine. I imagine a coolant filter was probably tried around that same time, possibly when well water was still used as coolant. I bet they figured out that something beyond just water was better than a filter so that's the path they took.

Very good point !
But, it was really nasty after only two years.

Thanks again to all !

actually it probably came back to return on investment not enough warranty issues to justify cost . exotic racecars and high performance engines sometimes do run filters to catch casting debris floating thru engine

actually it probably came back to return on investment not enough warranty issues to justify cost . exotic racecars and high performance engines sometimes do run filters to catch casting debris floating thru engine

Just noticed Hollywood...
That is where we now often stay; getting away from Tennessee.
Walkabout Beach Resort by the Marriott on the beach.
Love it there.

It been a while since I worked on diesel engines but i do remember that most all heavy equipment had coolant filters. And i want to say most tractor trailers have them. Not sure why. But what is good for a diesel does not make it good for gas engines.

Jeeps & modern cars have engine air filters, automatic transmission ATF filters, and oil filters. Some even have in-cabin air filters. But no coolant filters. I wonder why that is. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
I've been using Fleetguard brand "Restore"when I flush a cooling system to hopefully get all the gunk loosened.

https://cumminsfiltration.com/node/3156

It did wonders on a Kenworth I bought last fall with engine oil in the cooling system from a failed oil cooler.

The big diesels have a "filter" but isn't it more of canister with an additive in it to keep your coolant from becoming electrolyte?

Reactions: John Cooper
I've been using Fleetguard brand "Restore"when I flush a cooling system to hopefully get all the gunk loosened.

https://cumminsfiltration.com/node/3156

It did wonders on a Kenworth I bought last fall with engine oil in the cooling system from a failed oil cooler.

The big diesels have a "filter" but isn't it more of canister with an additive in it to keep your coolant from becoming electrolyte?

Was just going to recommend the Restore cooling system cleaner. There are two types, Restore, and Restore plus. The Plus is for rust and heavy oil contamination.

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/r...ty.bitnamiapp.com.russia/files/LI33024-GB.pdf

Using cascade with Dawn also does a good job removing oil contamination.

Reactions: Farmergreg