Michigan Anyone close to Southwest Michigan?

thomat65

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Like my profile says, I live in St Joseph, MI.

Chicago is 1:40:00 West. Grand Rapids is 1:20:00 North. Battle Creek is 1:10:00 East. Indianapolis is 3:00:00 South.

Anyone within a few hours of me?

the Jeep stays most of the time in the Upper Peninsular! A lot of super nice trails up there!

Ahh, I would love to check them out.

I'm a native of Kentucky and have only lived here for three years (moved up to marry my wife). In all my research about where to wheel in Michigan it looks like there's basically nothing down here, and there are gradually more and more trails the farther North you go, until you hit the UP which is like the jackpot.

Besides being newish to Michigan I also recently got my first Jeep. It needed a new transmission and the transmission shop just finished rebuilding it. But it's down in Kentucky at my parents' place and I don't plan on bringing it up until they're done salting the roads.

So I guess what I'm saying is: I'm really looking forward to seeing the Upper Peninsula for the first time, hopefully with my wife in a Jeep during warmer weather 😁

Ahh, I would love to check them out.

I'm a native of Kentucky and have only lived here for three years (moved up to marry my wife). In all my research about where to wheel in Michigan it looks like there's basically nothing down here, and there are gradually more and more trails the farther North you go, until you hit the UP which is like the jackpot.

Besides being newish to Michigan I also recently got my first Jeep. It needed a new transmission and the transmission shop just finished rebuilding it. But it's down in Kentucky at my parents' place and I don't plan on bringing it up until they're done salting the roads.

So I guess what I'm saying is: I'm really looking forward to seeing the Upper Peninsula for the first time, hopefully with my wife in a Jeep during warmer weather 😁
The secret to fighting the salted or brined roads here is weekly car washes at a minimum with a good underflush.. do that for everything U drive.

Are there good places to go over by you? I guess if I plan on driving up to the UP then the thumb is within reach too haha
It is tough to find great trails on the southern half of Michigan, they seem to get better as you travel north and super in the UP! Check with local Jeep clubs or groups around you, or in Indian River there’s a shop that’s really cool on promoting Jeeps and has a few Jeep rallies during the year ( Jeep Supershop)! As far as the UP goes bring lots of extra gas and the father west you go the hills and trails ( two tracks, logging roads or just dirt roads ) get better! Probably not as good as the hills in Kentucky, but still a lot of fun! Enjoy and welcome to Michigan!

Reactions: thomat65
Kalamazoo Michigan here...

Kalamazoo is definitely in driving distance. I'll keep you in mind.

My Jeep is still down in Kentucky. Between waiting for good weather and now COVID-19 I'm not sure when I'll be able to get it.

It's been a good reminder that I'm not the one in control of my life.

James 4:13‭-‬15 says:
Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will [buy a Jeep from Texas and bring it up North to enjoy when the weather gets warm]"— yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that."

So... If the Lord wills then I will bring my Jeep up here and enjoy it 🙂

Last edited:
I'm in the Grand Rapids area.

I'm an Indiana native so I've only had a few years to discover Michigan. I've been to Drummond Island twice and took one trip to the northwest LP and did a few of the trails. There looks to be a lot of trails near Grayling & Houghton Lake but I haven't had the opportunity to explore them yet.

Reactions: thomat65