Anyone collect anything?

BlueRidge304

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Just curious if anyone collects anything. We recently moved, and I am fortunate to now have a home office. I've always wanted to do a vintage gas & oil/petroliana theme. While I really like the old oil cans, they can get expensive in a hurry, especially for a father of four. So I went a different route and have been picking up these gasoline cans when I find them.

IMG_5807.JPG

Very nice. You are right petrol stuff gets expensive real quick.

For me I've managed to collect a bunch of debt but I am growing tired of it and want to go another direction. So if anyone wants some PM me and I am sure we can come to terms. I'll let it go for what I have in it...I don't think it right to profit from forum mates.

Last edited:
I collect guitars, but I've been thinning the heard tremendously. It was getting to the point where I had so many, didn't play most of them, and there was so much money into them that I figured I would rather use the money for other stuff instead.

I really dig your collection @BlueRidge304! That's something I would collect myself. Either that or old signs!

I collect ex-wives. I have three in the collection. However, I need to switch to something less expensive, so I'm considering collecting Rolex watches. Mrs. Squatch approves this change in direction... ;):rolleyes:

Seriously, though, I used to collect Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars, and the like. Had over 1,200 of 'em. I reduced it down to a couple hundred a few years ago. Also collected Marilyn Monroe memorabilia for about 30 years. Been slowly getting rid of that stuff, as well. I think reducing one's collection of stuff is a good idea as you get older. Otherwise, your loved ones end up stuck with it, and wind up unloading it at an estate sale for pennies on the dollar...

Last edited:
I used to collect railroad and train items until a few years ago when I decided I wanted less in my life. I've been selling my collections plus a lot of left over shop equipment and tools. I still have crap to sell before we move.

We did that for 30 years, farm auctions, estate sales... then we moved 950 miles and took it all... 2 more moves plus a 1400 mile move and no, no more collections.

But I install wood stoves, fireplaces for a living so I do collect hatchets. When done an install, if I don't see that kindling hatchet, I leave one. Best PR ever. An old, scarred $5.00 hatchet looks way better than a shiny new $25.00 one. My customers love it !!

Last edited:
When I had my '43 GPW, I collected flat fender Jeep toys. From vintage tin to Tonka and Matchbox. I was a little more picky about the foreign made items though. I also got a few choice Land Cruiser toys They are more difficult to acquire. Now I just collect junk on my desk as I look at TJ Forum.

Guitars and old vacuum tube Hi-Fi systems. I think I have about 20 or so guitars and really only play 2 or 3 regularly. Guitar tube amps are also a weakness and have a few. I have a vintage stereo system in every room in the house but they all get used. Along with those go the endless hunt for vinyl too. Being divorced allows me to indulge.

I don't collect anything really to preserve really. I have some old 80-90s topps sports cards, but haven't even looked at them in years and figured the internet probably killed that hobby, but for some reason feel compelled to keep them.

But If I were to say I collect anything, I would say tools. I collect them and use them. I love tools. I buy them at the hardware store, I buy them at the garage sales, I can never get rid of them even if they are specialty and I don't used them anymore. Unless they break, I keep them around forever. Sometimes I make new tools out of them, like bending wrenches, or whatever I need to do at the time. But I gotta have my tools.

While not a "tool", per se, I dug this old halogen light stand out of the scrap pile and used it for painting parts. It's now back in the garage, instead of the scrap pile. And I agree, tools are meant to be collected, used, and/or repurposed. Even a broken tool can find a new life as something else. Bet there are a lot of us on this forum who have such a "collection". :)
repurposed light stand.jpg

While not a "tool", per se, I dug this old halogen light stand out of the scrap pile and used it for painting parts. It's now back in the garage, instead of the scrap pile. And I agree, tools are meant to be collected, used, and/or repurposed. Even a broken tool can find a new life as something else. Bet there are a lot of us on this forum who have such a "collection". :)
View attachment 54434
my god yes. 25 years ago I had a 1950s wrecker... almost non running, it was my engine hoist.... miss those days before we moved 3 times, almost 3000 miles.

Reactions: Squatch
my god yes. 25 years ago I had a 1950s wrecker... almost non running, it was my engine hoist.... miss those days before we moved 3 times, almost 3000 miles.
I grew up in an area (and an era!) where the swing-set doubled as an engine hoist. Redneck, baby! Hell, yeah! :thumbsup:

These are some of the items that my wife and I have collected since we moved to Colorado. We like to collect rusty farm / truck/jeep related items to decorate yard and shop. We try to go to Estate sales in the area especially ones that are farm/ ranch related.
Of course my TJ is not part of this rusty theme, I just keep it ready for the next adventure to the San Juan Mountains, Moab, and trails on my never ending list in this part of the country.

20180909_100404_resized -.jpg
20180909_141323_resized.jpg
20180909_100453_resized -.jpg
20180909_100522_resized -.jpg
20180909_100533_resized -.jpg
20180909_100649_resized -.jpg
20180909_100705_resized.jpg
20180909_100805_resized.jpg

Folks, all the replies are very interesting, thanks for taking the time to respond! This is turning out to be quite an enjoyable thread. I can relate to most of your replies albeit some more than others.

@05 Blue Unlimited, my wife and I crawled out of a mountain of (consumer) debt a few years ago, cut all credit cards and changed our spending habits. Took a loooong time (and 3 jobs) to pay it all off, but we've managed to be cash-only ever since.

@Chris, my kids got me a Fender acoustic last Christmas. I've always wanted to learn how to play, but it's so much more difficult than I thought. One of my highlights from 2018 was seeing Tony Melendez play in person. He was born without arms and plays guitar with his feet, very inspiring.

@Squatch, no experience with ex-wives thankfully. My first wife is still putting up with me after 16 years. I used to be into the Ertl 1:18 die cast cars. I think it was the American Muscle line. All those were sold as part of getting out of debt some time ago. Those battleship gray control arms we discussed in another thread came out great, nice re-purpose of the old light stand!

@Boinked, @Ted, and @Gregg1LE, I also enjoy firearms, mostly revolvers and lever guns. Partial to old things made of walnut and blued steel. Recently acquired an older (1980's) Marlin 336. Currently saving for a 45-70 lever gun.

@KMG, I only have a couple railroad related items (Adlake lantern from PRR and a 28" tall oiler form the NYCS), but I can definitely appreciate how someone could build quite an impressive collection of that stuff.

@billiebob, that is such a cool idea about leaving the hatchets for customers, like your personal trademark! We heat with wood (not primarily) at our new place, and I was shocked at what decent hatchets and splitting axes can go for. Especially the hand forged steel ones.

@alittleoff, did you restore the '43 GPW? I bet some of your vintage tin Jeeps were from the Marx company.

@Nimbley, that vintage stereo collection sounds impressive! Last year I re-lamped my Sherwood S-7900A, my only vintage piece of gear. The bulb for the tuning needle was a royal PITA.

@ac_, I still have all mine from when I was a kid too. Been moving them around with me, but haven't looked at them in ages. Maybe it's all the horror stories about valuable card collections being thrown out that compels me to keep them. Tools are a much better idea!

@robsjeepin, very nice collection there! You have a good eye for the old Jeep stuff. I really like the elevation sign, homemade?