Anyone else delete their front license plate?

jeep_boss

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Curious on how many other TJ owners do not display their front license plates, at least those with aftermarket bumpers.

My Jeep came with a crappy plastic mount for one in the floor board, the previous owner said he never got around to installing it. The mount would have made it point downwards 45 degrees or so, given the shape of my custom front bumper.

There really isn't anywhere else practical that I can see mounting the plate - it doesn't stay put in my window, so meh!

2155C3FC-21A3-4458-B9C6-F6485E2B1A15.jpeg

Reactions: Ron Hockett
Supposed to have one here in Oregon. The brush is trying very hard to remove mine, it's now form fitted around the front bumper. I suppose if someone complains, it'll get fixed. (again)

Reactions: jeep_boss
Supposed to have one here in Oregon. The brush is trying very hard to remove mine, it's now form fitted around the front bumper. I suppose if someone complains, it'll get fixed. (again)

I've never had one in Oregon and surprisingly never been hassled.

Reactions: jeep_boss and StG58
I've never had one in Oregon and surprisingly never been hassled.
Just on Jeeps, or on other vehicles as well? I used to get hassled regularly when I was hot rodding Camaros...no really good place to put a front licence plate on a 70's Camaro.

Edited to add: Yup, two plates required in Oregon, @Chris. $125 fix-it ticket, usually dropped if you provide proof that the licence plate has been affixed to the front of your vehicle to the clerk of the court, and you're not a repeat offender. :)

Last edited:
Just on Jeeps, or on other vehicles as well? I used to get hassled regularly when I was hot rodding Camaros...no really good place to put a front licence plate on a 70's Camaro.

Just on Jeeps... Maybe that's why? I drive by cops all the time, left-and-right. No one has ever said anything, not once. This is over the period of years too.

Reactions: jeep_boss and StG58
Just on Jeeps... Maybe that's why? I drive by cops all the time, left-and-right. No one has ever said anything, not once. This is over the period of years too.
Cops in Oregon like Jeeps. Except in Beaverton. The Cops in Beaverton don't like anyone or anything it seems. It's probably another one of those laws that rarely gets enforced. Maybe I'll pull mine before it gets destroyed and throw it in the back until I get stopped. Kind of an experiment.

Reactions: Chris and KCsTJ
Both required here....Jeeps not exempt. I made my own license plate holder that snaps on my roller fairlead. If I think I'm going to get into something that might bend it or pull it off, I just pop it off and put it back on before hitting the Hwy. Made it out of two flashlight holders and a thick plastic license plate holder.
IMG_20180312_135449848_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180312_135547136_HDR.jpg

I never put mine on. I just stuck it under the front seat. Haven't been asked for it yet. Even when DOT stopped me coming back from Ocotillo. I know I will need it put on if I park at metered parking. They ALWAYS check!

Cops in Oregon like Jeeps. Except in Beaverton. The Cops in Beaverton don't like anyone or anything it seems. It's probably another one of those laws that rarely gets enforced. Maybe I'll pull mine before it gets destroyed and throw it in the back until I get stopped. Kind of an experiment.

I'd keep it in the trunk with you (that's what I do). Then if I ever get pulled over, I just tell them that I was off-road and the brush ripped it off. I can't imagine they would give me any crap if I told them that, unless someone was having a really bad day. Either way, the worst possible case scenario is a simple fix-it ticket.

Reactions: StG58
I'd keep it in the trunk with you (that's what I do). Then if I ever get pulled over, I just tell them that I was off-road and the brush ripped it off. I can't imagine they would give me any crap if I told them that, unless someone was having a really bad day. Either way, the worst possible case scenario is a simple fix-it ticket.
Mine's beat enough the Officer probably wouldn't even question it after taking a look.

Some areas in California use the digital license plate readers and patrol streets and mall parking lots and with my luck they would nail me for sure.

NY requires it, but my new bumper doesn't have a place for it,,,,I keep it on the passenger floor and I f I get pulled over I will just say there is no place to mount it....see what the cops says?