Anyone Else Have Contact Between Savvy Skid and Rubicon Transfer Case?

Did you not see the @jjvw picture in post #7? The mount on the left is the same mount and is bent exactly like mine.

I can't tell if it's actually cracked. And don't know if it was on a Rubicon or not. Either way, it's obviously bent so mine is not unique.

Looks like it is bent/shaped the way it is supposed to be. I also dont see a crack anywhere in these photos

Looks like it is bent/shaped the way it is supposed to be. I also dont see a crack anywhere in these photos

Maybe you need glasses?

Here is what it starts out looking like. Notice how the transmission mount plate is flat and parallel to the bottom edge of the side plate unlike the mount shown in post #7.

20221122_101250.jpg

And here is what a bent/cracked mount looks like:

20221122_091743.jpg

I wondered if the mount was incorrect for the 6 speed, but it looks correct. Plus, I'm pretty sure each possible transmission has a unique bolt pattern which makes mixing unlikely.

View attachment 373763
Left is 6 speed manual. Right is 4 speed auto.

So, can we all agree that the transmission mounting plate in the mount on the left pictured above IS BENT compared to a new like the one pictured below?

And I can't be sure but it really looks like that mount on the left has a small crack on each side in exactly the same places as mine. Do you still have this mount and can you take a look at it and see if it is actually cracked or not? It would be much appreciated at least by me.

20221122_101250.jpg

If only removing the slid to access everything took only 5 minutes....

I'm really curious if this failure might not be all that uncommon. And if Rubicons might be more prone to have the mount bend/crack

You've got something else going on. The way the support plate bolts to the bottom of the trans, that effectively reinforces the plate so if it was overloaded and prone to sag failure, it would fail evenly on both sides and that isn't happening, it is only tilting down and cracking that one side which points to torque load twisting around the long axis of the drivetrain. I would take a good hard look at your motor mounts and make sure you don't have a problem there.

Reactions: HornedToad
You've got something else going on. The way the support plate bolts to the bottom of the trans, that effectively reinforces the plate so if it was overloaded and prone to sag failure, it would fail evenly on both sides and that isn't happening, it is only tilting down and cracking that one side which points to torque load twisting around the long axis of the drivetrain. I would take a good hard look at your motor mounts and make sure you don't have a problem there.

Original OEM motor mounts were recently replaced with new OEM. And the mount is cracked on both sides though a bit more on the passenger side.

And jjvw's mount pictured in post 7 has the exact same failure but to a slightly lesser degree.

Original OEM motor mounts were recently replaced with new OEM. And the mount is cracked on both sides though a bit more on the passenger side.

And jjvw's mount pictured in post 7 has the exact same failure but to a slightly lesser degree.

Not my mount, just my feet and hand. And I'm not seeing a crack or any kind of failure in that picture.

Not my mount, just my feet and hand. And I'm not seeing a crack or any kind of failure in that picture.

Nor is there to any that I have here. I do see one major difference. My bolts leave very little in the way of marks around the slots. The ones I see above look like the bolts were a bit loose and run that way.

Reactions: jjvw
And I'm not seeing a crack or any kind of failure in that picture.

Well, if you can't at least see that it's bent in the photo you posted, I don't know what to say. You seriously, honestly see no difference in the flatness of the bottom plate when looking at my picture of a new mount and comparing to the picture you posted?

It's so obviously bent...

Well, if you can't at least see that it's bent in the photo you posted, I don't know what to say. You seriously, honestly see no difference in the flatness of the bottom plate when looking at my picture of a new mount and comparing to the picture you posted?

It's so obviously bent...

Yours is cracked and bent. That happened.

I will run get some pictures in a bit. It was on a Rubicon (mine).

Do you still have the mount pictured in post #7? If so, I hope you can answer 2 questions:
  1. Is the bottom plate somewhat bent as opposed to perfectly flat in the area where the transmission bolts to it?
  2. Are there any cracks starting at the front of the front tab off the bottom plate and progressing toward the closest bolt hole?

Everybody telling me they don't see what appears to be blatantly obvious to me is making me think I'm losing my mind.

Yours is cracked and bent. That happened.

Correct!

And I seriously doubt that there are no others. Some people may not realize that it's happened to them. I suspect if it was let go long enough, it would break the bosses off the transmission.

The reason I'm not just moving on is that if it's not a super rare, freak occurence:
  1. Others with the same mount might want to inspect theirs for similar problems before it potentially breaks the bosses off the transmission.
  2. Savvy might want to add a bit of weld to the mount to prevent similar failures down the road.
  3. Others buying a new Savvy skid might want to add some weld to their mount before installing it to avoid a similar problem.
  4. All the other reasons people post shit on a forum like this.

Jeez, I thought sharing this might be helpful to somebody. Didn't expect the pushback.

Last edited:
Reactions: LONGJP2
Correct!

And I seriously doubt that there are no others. Some people may not realize that it's happened to them. I suspect if it was let go long enough, it would break the bosses off the transmission.

The reason I'm not just moving on is that if it's not a super rare, freak occurence:
  1. Others with the same mount might want to inspect theirs for similar problems before it potentially breaks the bosses off the transmission.
  2. Savvy might want to add a bit of weld to the mount to prevent similar failures down the road.
  3. Others buying a new Savvy skid might want to add some weld to their mount before installing it to avoid a similar problem.
  4. All the other reasons people post shit on a forum like this.

Jeez, I thought sharing this might be helpful to somebody. Didn't expect the pushback.

Crisis averted-
1669165923933.png

Before the welding to show that they are made with an angle that doesn't line up correctly with the flange.
1669166016977.png

Slightly larger view of the other side-
1669166131273.png

Showing what the bolt areas at the slots "should" look like if they are not run loose at all.
The impression is left by the edge of the flange on the bolt being tightened, not the bolt moving in the slot. This was also run with a Rubi T-case.
1669166313765.png

Do you still have the mount pictured in post #7? If so, I hope you can answer 2 questions:
  1. Is the bottom plate somewhat bent as opposed to perfectly flat in the area where the transmission bolts to it?
  2. Are there any cracks starting at the front of the front tab off the bottom plate and progressing toward the closest bolt hole?

Everybody telling me they don't see what appears to be blatantly obvious to me is making me think I'm losing my mind.
It does have small cracks, but isn't bent like yours. Looks like it could just use some longer or more welds.

PXL_20221122_230103692.jpg

PXL_20221122_230115644.jpg

PXL_20221122_230105602.jpg

PXL_20221122_230126239.jpg

Reactions: g.hayduke