Anyone Else Have Contact Between Savvy Skid and Rubicon Transfer Case?

g.hayduke

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Hi Gang

I have an issue that's probably been there since I installed a Savvy TT on my '05 LJR 6 spd around 6 years ago. I recently had the skid off and while reinstalling verified what I suspected but never looked that closely at before. The driver side of the TC is resting on the aluminum skid. Or at least it was until I cut a hole in it to temporarily attempt to get everything suspended by the mounts instead of the skid.

I also have 1-1/4" BL and 1" MML installed.

Take a look at the pictures. IDK if Savvy may have altered the design after I bought mine or is this kit not correct for a Rubicon? The black rubber (or whatever material) mounts appear to be in good condition and the mounting bolts appear to be centered in the bushings. I could make a spacer plate to go between the transmission mount and the transmission but that seems like it shouldn't be necessary.

Anyone else run into this? @mrblaine, have you seen any similar issues or have a good solution.

I already sent Savvy a question but don't necessarily expect a prompt response.

20221105_093606.jpg

20221105_093747.jpg

20221105_093832.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have that issue with my '06/Rubicon/NSG370. mrblaine did my build so I'll let him comment on possible interferences.

That hurts my heart to see a hole cut in the Savvy skid plate 😂. It probably just needed new bushings in the crossmember.

That was my first thought but bolts are pretty clearly centered in the bushings. No apparent sagging

Last edited:
I wondered if the mount was incorrect for the 6 speed, but it looks correct. Plus, I'm pretty sure each possible transmission has a unique bolt pattern which makes mixing unlikely.

1667667385640.png

Left is 6 speed manual. Right is 4 speed auto.

Hi Gang

I have an issue that's probably been there since I installed a Savvy TT on my '05 LJR 6 spd around 6 years ago. I recently had the skid off and while reinstalling verified what I suspected but never looked that closely at before. The passenger side of the TC is resting on the aluminum skid. Or at least it was until I cut a hole in it to temporarily attempt to get everything suspended by the mounts instead of the skid.

I also have 1-1/4" BL and 1" MML installed.

Take a look at the pictures. IDK if Savvy may have altered the design after I bought mine or is this kit not correct for a Rubicon? The red rubber (or whatever material) mounts appear to be in good condition and the mounting bolts appear to be centered in the bushings. I could make a spacer plate to go between the transmission mount and the transmission but that seems like it shouldn't be necessary.

Anyone else run into this? @mrblaine, have you seen any similar issues or have a good solution.

I already sent Savvy a question but don't necessarily expect a prompt response.

View attachment 373754

View attachment 373755

View attachment 373756

I'm confused by several things. What red rubber in the bushings are you talking about? From Savvy, they are black Clevite upper control arm bushings. The bolts into the mount should be tightened before the weight is lowered onto the crossmember.

Passenger or right side is where it is making contact, correct?

Making a spacer to raise the trans is far better than turning your pet alligator loose to chomper a hole in the skid, always, regardless of what you think should or should not be necessary. What is necessary is the t-case isn't sitting on the skid.

I'm confused by several things. What red rubber in the bushings are you talking about? From Savvy, they are black Clevite upper control arm bushings. The bolts into the mount should be tightened before the weight is lowered onto the crossmember.

Passenger or right side is where it is making contact, correct?

Making a spacer to raise the trans is far better than turning your pet alligator loose to chomper a hole in the skid, always, regardless of what you think should or should not be necessary. What is necessary is the t-case isn't sitting on the skid.

No, driver side. Not a lot of TC on the passenger side.

Pretty sure I tightened bolts prior to resting weight on them.

CORRECTION: Bushings are black as you suggested. Must have been hallucinating when I saw red bushings.

Last edited:
UPDATE!

I can't believe nobody (especially me) noticed this before. My Savvy transmission mount is cracked on both sides.

The picture provided by @jjvw appears to show a similar but smaller crack on the left side. And, like mine, the plate where the transmission bolts is no longer flat. Was that mount possibly used on a Rubicon 6spd?

I also want to say that Gerald at Savvy was pretty responsive. He sent me a new mount which I wasn't sure I needed at the time. Here's a picture of the new mount. You see the that the plate where the transmission mounts is flat and parallel to the bottom edge of the side plate, unlike mine and the other one pictured above.

Theory: The stress on the mount is causing cracks to form starting at the sharp corners created by the tabs extending from the sides of the mounting plate. It might only occur on Rubicons with the heavier TC.

I'm thinking a couple small welds on the bottom where the mounting plate meets the side plates might be all that's needed to prevent the same failure in the future.

20221122_101250.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: John Cooper
I wondered if the mount was incorrect for the 6 speed, but it looks correct. Plus, I'm pretty sure each possible transmission has a unique bolt pattern which makes mixing unlikely.

View attachment 373763
Left is 6 speed manual. Right is 4 speed auto.

See how the mount on the left has a bent plate where the transmission mounts? And it looks like there is also at least a small crack in the mounting plate, left side. Do you know the history on that mount? It looks like it failed similar to mine.

UPDATE!

I can't believe nobody (especially me) noticed this before. My Savvy transmission mount is cracked on both sides.

The picture provided by @jjvw appears to show a similar but smaller crack on the left side. And, like mine, the plate where the transmission bolts is no longer flat. Was that mount possibly used on a Rubicon 6spd?

I also want to say that Gerald at Savvy was pretty responsive. He sent me a new mount which I wasn't sure I needed at the time. Here's a picture of the new mount. You see the that the plate where the transmission mounts is flat and parallel to the bottom edge of the side plate, unlike mine and the other one pictured above.

Theory: The stress on the mount is causing cracks to form starting at the sharp corners created by the tabs extending from the sides of the mounting plate. It might only occur on Rubicons with the heavier TC.

I'm thinking a couple small welds on the bottom where the mounting plate meets the side plates might be all that's needed to prevent the same failure in the future.

View attachment 378725

What crack?

What crack?

Is that not a crack in the same place as you can see on my photo? Maybe it's not an actual crack but you can clearly see the transmission mounting plate is no longer flat.

Here's a better view of the larger crack in my mount.

20221122_091743.jpg

Reactions: jjvw
Not for nothing but that is a 5 minute fix with a welder.

If only removing the slid to access everything took only 5 minutes....

I'm really curious if this failure might not be all that uncommon. And if Rubicons might be more prone to have the mount bend/crack

I dont think the weight difference between a 241 and a 231 is enough to make a difference to the mount. You're the only person I've seen this happen too.

I dont think the weight difference between a 241 and a 231 is enough to make a difference to the mount. You're the only person I've seen this happen too.

Did you not see the @jjvw picture in post #7? The mount on the left is the same mount and is bent exactly like mine.

I can't tell if it's actually cracked. And don't know if it was on a Rubicon or not. Either way, it's obviously bent so mine is not unique.