Anyone else test drive a JLU?

Deuxdiesel

TJ Enthusiast
Thoughts? I drove a Sport S with a manual trans and a hard top ($39K) for the first time yesterday. Nice, but it seems like a lot of money for what you get.

Reactions: Starrs
I sat in one at the Auto Show last year (so weird that it wasn't this week), and the driver's area seemed really small. The back of my head touched the soundbar. For me, this is planning for a 2025 problem when used market pricing becomes palatable.

I wouldn’t touch a ‘U’ with a ten-foot pole, of any generation, LJ included. The JLR on the other hand, perhaps the best incarnation yet of the Wrangler, giving the TJ a run for its money. If it wasn’t for the overly complicated electronics and gut-wrenching price tag it would be a no brainer but I just cannot fathom descending into the brush behind the wheel of a shiny $50,000 work of art like that.

I prefer spending $50,000 on my Jeep the old fashioned way, a buck at a time on a beat up old TJ :sneaky::LOL:

Reactions: Midwest and qslim
The thing that struck me the most was that after 22 years, this is what they came up with (compared to my 97 SE)? I also drove an '18 4Runner TRD for comparison, and it was light years ahead of the '95 4Runner I had just before this TJ.

I sat in one at the Auto Show last year (so weird that it wasn't this week), and the driver's area seemed really small. The back of my head touched the soundbar. For me, this is planning for a 2025 problem when used market pricing becomes palatable.
think its all the extra padding, big on the outside, small on the inside.

Thoughts? I drove a Sport S with a manual trans and a hard top ($39K) for the first time yesterday. Nice, but it seems like a lot of money for what you get.
I recommend you shop around, I’ve seen a few good deals , I have a friend who bought brand new a 2019 JLUR last September for $39k but it was a soft top.

Reasoning? Seriously? What’s your ‘reasoning’ behind finding an ugly woman ugly? Yea, it’s kinda like that.

Sounds like you're in a great mood today!
You do you, man, you do you...
Imo, there should be a reasoning behind any opinion and that define an adult and a child, but yep, this is internet and people like you have the right to post too! :)

Sounds like you're in a great mood today!
You do you, man, you do you...
Imo, there should be a reasoning behind any opinion and that define an adult and a child, but yep, this is internet and people like you have the right to post too! :)

You’re really going to try to argue with me over a matter of my own personal taste, sheesh, put down the California Kool-Aid Broheim, sound like you've been a bit sip-happy

I just rented one a few weeks ago. Gave it a pretty good 'test drive' in the Arizona desert. I would never buy one, but the hill descent feature was pretty neat.

You’re really going to try to argue with me over a matter of my own personal taste, sheesh, put down the California Kool-Aid Broheim, sound like you've been a bit sip-happy
You know, I actually care at some point when you wrote your opinion, as I'm strongly considering adding a jkur to my garage, so based on your strong answer, I almost thought you had something to share with us.
But not really, you just have a unfounded opinion... and that's ok. So let's agree to stop here.
I like this forum because it's usually pretty mature. I'll do my best to keep it that way!

Have a good rest of the weekend!

You know, I actually care at some point when you wrote your opinion, as I'm strongly considering adding a jkur to my garage, so based on your strong answer, I almost thought you had something to share with us.
But not really, you just have a unfounded opinion... and that's ok. So let's agree to stop here.
I like this forum because it's usually pretty mature. I'll do my best to keep it that way!

Have a good rest of the weekend!

see, this is where you're wrong, and quite obviously struggling. When it comes to matters of personal preference, there's no such thing as 'unfounded'. I like brunettes rather than blonds for example. If you're the opposite, great. Neither of us in 1000 years needs to 'explain' why, or have a list of 'valid reasons' that are 'supported by clinical evidence' to justify our 'opinion' as you call it. It's a preference, we like what we like. The fact that I'm even explaining this to a grown up (I assume) is a bit disheartening.

I've test driven a JL Rubicon twice, and I like the 2 doors. Next time I have some time to kill, I'll drive a JLU and a Gladiator to see what they're like.

Reactions: Midwest
Here's my take -

Am I thrilled where Jeep is with today's models? Yes and no.

First, I'm just glad Jeep still exists. I saw them nearly go away in the mid eighties.

The evolution of Jeep was inevitable, but its' course since 1986 has been charted by companies tbat did not produce anything like a Jeep, ever.

What could have been is endless , but a body style closer to the TJ and Cj before would be my aesthetic preference , and a better powered, and overall less complex model for the off road purist should have always been offered, and should be today.

I can't argue with their success , but they have missed the market in some ways ...and if you saw a small V8 come out , you would see an absolutely feeding frenzy at dealers.

I can't argue with their success , but they have missed the market in some ways ...and if you saw a small V8 come out , you would see an absolutely feeding frenzy at dealers.

This is a perspective I can't grasp. I suppose it's because I've never owned a V8 SUV. I drove a Bronco as a patrol vehicle for a season back when but never needed the extra power. I don't power up hills either so I just haven't needed it in an offroad capacity. My work truck now is a Ford F150 with a V8. All that extra power does when I'm in the mud is bury the tires.

I've never been behind the wheel of a V8 CJ and just blasted up a mountainside. Sounds fun, though.

With electric Jeeps now apparently on the horizon I don't see a V8 JLUR happening.

BTW to answer the original posters question, I've never driven a JL. If it's anything like my wife's Fiat Cherokee, I'll pass. More assist this electronically controlled that means more to break on the trail IMO.

This is a perspective I can't grasp. I suppose it's because I've never owned a V8 SUV. I drove a Bronco as a patrol vehicle for a season back when but never needed the extra power. I don't power up hills either so I just haven't needed it in an offroad capacity. My work truck now is a Ford F150 with a V8. All that extra power does when I'm in the mud is bury the tires.

I've never been behind the wheel of a V8 CJ and just blasted up a mountainside. Sounds fun, though.

With electric Jeeps now apparently on the horizon I don't see a V8 JLUR happening.

BTW to answer the original posters question, I've never driven a JL. If it's anything like my wife's Fiat Cherokee, I'll pass. More assist this electronically controlled that means more to break on the trail IMO.
You don’t have to look far for Jeep owners with 35’S and larger that won’t more power . Doesn’t have to be a Hellcat , just 50-100 more . A JLU or Gladiator isn’t light .

You don’t have to look far for Jeep owners with 35’S and larger that won’t more power . Doesn’t have to be a Hellcat , just 50-100 more . A JLU or Gladiator isn’t light .
Oh I get it in that regard. My 4.0 lags enough. I wish turbo kits were California compliant.

Reactions: AndyG
The key is balance ..a v8 cj 5 is violent .

A turbo 3.6 JLU would be a smash , a big turbo straight 6 . A 325-375 hp JLU would be so well received , it could hurt JL v6 resale.

Reactions: ejay