Anyone else test drive a JLU?

Here's my take -

Am I thrilled where Jeep is with today's models? Yes and no.

First, I'm just glad Jeep still exists. I saw them nearly go away in the mid eighties.

The evolution of Jeep was inevitable, but its' course since 1986 has been charted by companies tbat did not produce anything like a Jeep, ever.

What could have been is endless , but a body style closer to the TJ and Cj before would be my aesthetic preference , and a better powered, and overall less complex model for the off road purist should have always been offered, and should be today.

I can't argue with their success , but they have missed the market in some ways ...and if you saw a small V8 come out , you would see an absolutely feeding frenzy at dealers.

In the age of Instagram Likes and Tacomas with OEM go-pro mounts. People complain when they have to use a key, or manually adjust the seat. It was inevitable that Wranglers would get soft.

Reactions: chad and ejay
Are you calling my baby ugly...

Haha, im kidding. Hope all is well, hopefully going to try and make it out your way when the weather warms.

YES

ha, no, that's what I get for trying to explain the difference between a preference & a fact.

Would be good to hit the trails again, I'm currently in my longest drought yet at a few months, all kinds of stuff going on these days. I'm looking to lean towards AOAA this year, and maybe Famous Reading Outdoors, still have yet to see a single one of their 20,000 acres. Was just looking at their website, $175/year unlimited access, not half bad considering Rausch is $50 a pop. They have a one-day trial pass too, makes sense: "Trial passes are $45 for the day but if you do decide to purchase a yearly membership, the $45 can be used as a credit towards your membership."

Hiddeous :LOL:

a_008.jpg
a_009.jpg
a_015.jpg
a_006.jpg
a_021.jpg
a_023.jpg
a_024.jpg

Reactions: Camdenst
If you guys think that the JL is overpriced in the US wait till you find out that a 2dr Sport costs the equivalent of 52k USD in the UK

I bought one for my wife. She loves it. She has the Moab model. The new 8 speed tranny is great. Plenty of power, handles well. Only one mayor complaint...terrible wind noise from the hard top. Worse than a TJ or JK in proper condition. It truly is a good rig, I expect it will last a long time. Her Jeep won't get punished off road by her, but I have no doubt it is capable. If she needs it to handle on or off road conditions, it will. Her Jeep is not the exact one I would want, but it is exactly what she wanted. I don't care if a Rubicon has some better off road components for less money, Mama is happy and I'll make more money.

I rented a JLU Rubicon in Ouray last summer; it's what got me hooked. 6-speed manual was smooth and the gearing in 4-Low was amazing for descents. It was a hard top but the roof panels were easily removed. The windshield cracked by a rock kicked up on the highway; the rental company was bummed because apparently the new glass is curved and much more expensive. (I'd paid for the damage waiver so I wasn't on the hook.)
I thoroughly enjoyed the Jeep and was glad they still make a manual transmission, but the price tags are outrageous. Hence my '06 LJ.
IMG_5217[1].JPG