Anyone ever hear of motor mount neutralization? Here ya go

Vtx531

TJ Addict
I was browsing through maintenance procedures on my DD Ford. For engine vibration symptoms, one of the steps in the troubleshooting is to neutralize the mounts which involves loosening all the bolts on motor and transmission mounts, driving the vehicle forward and backward 2-4ft, and retightening.

I just replaced all my Jeep mounts but I would have tried this first if I knew about it. Maybe I could have kept the quality mopar mounts and not had to spend money and time putting in new mounts? After all, the old ones weren't broken.

There isn't much neutralization you can do on the motor mounts. Everything fits where it fits. On the tranny mount, the bolts sit in slots. You can loosen the four nuts and give the tranny a good shove, and then torque them back down. That's not really needed unless you've had your skidplate off.

What problem were you trying to fix?

There isn't much neutralization you can do on the motor mounts. Everything fits where it fits. On the tranny mount, the bolts sit in slots. You can loosen the four nuts and give the tranny a good shove, and then torque them back down. That's not really needed unless you've had your skidplate off.

What problem were you trying to fix?

It had more vibration in D at a stop than I would have liked.

I was browsing through maintenance procedures on my DD Ford. For engine vibration symptoms, one of the steps in the troubleshooting is to neutralize the mounts which involves loosening all the bolts on motor and transmission mounts, driving the vehicle forward and backward 2-4ft, and retightening.

I just replaced all my Jeep mounts but I would have tried this first if I knew about it. Maybe I could have kept the quality mopar mounts and not had to spend money and time putting in new mounts? After all, the old ones weren't broken.

This same process applies to control arm bushings too, running factory style arms. If you have weird handling characteristics after control arm work, loosen the bolts when the jeep is sitting on relatively level ground and relatively close to ride height to let the bushings relax to their normal state.

Reactions: Zorba
I remember my college roommate had a Daytona turbo that would launch the axle shaft if he got into it too hard. After going through 4 or 5 axles he read in the service manual that you have to center the engine in the motor mounts or the axle would pop out. Chrysler engineering at it's finest.

• USA Proud
Reactions: TheBoogieman

Neutralizing the drivetrain can help with NVH ( noise, vibration, harshness) concerns. It will not fix bad components. The goal is to get the whole drivetrain neutral and at rest before torquing the mounts down. The exhaust can be a source of vibration or harshness and idle. The drivetrain or exhaust can get in a bind or non neutral state after work is done such as a transmission or motor replacement. Also it is a good idea to torque suspension components at ride height so bushing don’t get bound up.

Reactions: AndyG
Neutralizing the drivetrain can help with NVH ( noise, vibration, harshness) concerns. It will not fix bad components. The goal is to get the whole drivetrain neutral and at rest before torquing the mounts down. The exhaust can be a source of vibration or harshness and idle. The drivetrain or exhaust can get in a bind or non neutral state after work is done such as a transmission or motor replacement. Also it is a good idea to torque suspension components at ride height so bushing don’t get bound up.

I'm aware of the suspension bushing thing. Interesting about the exhaust. I do think my exhaust is in more of a binding situation that it probably should be. May have to play around with that in the summer. I have a Walker Quietflow so not oem but it was the closest thing I could find. Takes more effort than it should to get on the hangers. Like it isn't lined up perfectly and it pushes or pulls on the rubber mounts accordingly.

I'm aware of the suspension bushing thing. Interesting about the exhaust. I do think my exhaust is in more of a binding situation that it probably should be. May have to play around with that in the summer. I have a Walker Quietflow so not oem but it was the closest thing I could find. Takes more effort than it should to get on the hangers. Like it isn't lined up perfectly and it pushes or pulls on the rubber mounts accordingly.

I have found almost any components that goes from the drivetrain to the frame can transmit vibration. With motor mounts I see seen many people jack up the motor install one side tighten the bolts then install the other side and let the motor down and tighten the second mount. This puts the first mount in a bind state from the start. I prefer to loosen the trans mount also. Then I will put it in drive and reverse back to neutral then tighten everything.
A/c hoses are good for vibration transmission, especially if they are made aftermarket and the fittings are not indexed correctly.
I had one vehicle under warranty that I spent a whole week on to find the reason the rear passenger floor board would pop (oil can) on bumps. After about 30 hours of testing and moving things I decided to pull body mounts and inspect. I started at the rear pulling mounts inspecting and lubing the bolts. When I got to the front there are two mount under the core support that are adjustable to level the front body. One mount was low not supporting the front end. It had signs of an accident and not reassembled correctly. I adjusted it torqued all the mounts problem solved.
I have learned to check for any component for signs it could be in a bind and not isolating vibration from the cab.

Reactions: Vtx531
If you wanted to "neutralize" your motor mounts, burning the rubber out with a torch would be a fast solution 😜