Anyone ever run Maxxis Trepador Radial MT tires?

Les Schwab is so, so, sooooo ridiculously overpriced. I went there for my Duratracs originally and asked them to match the online price. They simply told me no, we don't do that. I go to Discount Tire and they matched the online price no questions asked.

Les Schwab wanted $100 more per tire for the Duratracs!

Anyways, rant over.

It is funny you say that, because we don't have a Les schwab down here, and discount always messes stuff up and can never get the balance right. I mean ever. I have never had any issues at Les Schwab, I would personally pay 100 dollars more per tire if I knew I could take it in and get it done right the first time. So far with my Ram discount has tried to balance them 6 times and finally replaced the tires and two times after that it is almost driveable. Then I just bought new tires for my jeep ran smooth as silk but were bald got new duratracs. They shake pretty bad right at 65 but clear up at 70, so I am scared to take them back because that seems to be the best they have ever done.

I haven't found any tires stores here even close to as good as Les Schwab. When I lived up there it was the only place I would get tires from and never once had to go back a second time. I think they train their guys much better there.

At discount if I ask them to spin the tire on the rim and re-balance them they look at me like it is some magic or something and refuse to do it. They will only put it on the machine, and if that isn't good enough that is all you get. I have had similar issues with Goodyear before. I wish they would expand down here. Sorry that you haven't had the same experience, but I really liked them. Also I miss good teriyaki can't seem to find that here either.

Reactions: Chris
It is funny you say that, because we don't have a Les schwab down here, and discount always messes stuff up and can never get the balance right. I mean ever. I have never had any issues at Les Schwab, I would personally pay 100 dollars more per tire if I knew I could take it in and get it done right the first time. So far with my Ram discount has tried to balance them 6 times and finally replaced the tires and two times after that it is almost driveable. Then I just bought new tires for my jeep ran smooth as silk but were bald got new duratracs. They shake pretty bad right at 65 but clear up at 70, so I am scared to take them back because that seems to be the best they have ever done.

I haven't found any tires stores here even close to as good as Les Schwab. When I lived up there it was the only place I would get tires from and never once had to go back a second time. I think they train their guys much better there.

At discount if I ask them to spin the tire on the rim and re-balance them they look at me like it is some magic or something and refuse to do it. They will only put it on the machine, and if that isn't good enough that is all you get. I have had similar issues with Goodyear before. I wish they would expand down here. Sorry that you haven't had the same experience, but I really liked them. Also I miss good teriyaki can't seem to find that here either.

Yikes...No mom and pop shop around for you to take it to? I think I'd buy a static balance machine, and do it myself, or look into balancing beads.

Yikes...No mom and pop shop around for you to take it to? I think I'd buy a static balance machine, and do it myself, or look into balancing beads.

It is funny you mentioned that. I do have a tire machine and balancer for my motorcycles. I do all of those myself with no issues. Although I have had to spin the tire on an occasion, but I have been pretty ticked off about the sucky tire work here that I have mentioned buying a pro balancer and machine for the trucks also, but I just don't have the room and it is way too expensive for the little amount that I actually do tires.

If I could find a good place it would still be cheaper than buying my own equipment, even if it is out of this world expensive, but honestly I would pay more to get it done right the first time any day.

I have not tried the balancing beads, although it would be a good idea because I could do that myself. But I haven't heard or even met anybody that has actually done that before. Once they get more popular, I might consider them.

I do have a friend that swears by them on his motorcycle, but he is the only person I know that has ever run them.

Maybe we should start a thread and see if anybody here is using them?

It is funny you mentioned that. I do have a tire machine and balancer for my motorcycles. I do all of those myself with no issues. Although I have had to spin the tire on an occasion, but I have been pretty ticked off about the sucky tire work here that I have mentioned buying a pro balancer and machine for the trucks also, but I just don't have the room and it is way too expensive for the little amount that I actually do tires.

If I could find a good place it would still be cheaper than buying my own equipment, even if it is out of this world expensive, but honestly I would pay more to get it done right the first time any day.

I have not tried the balancing beads, although it would be a good idea because I could do that myself. But I haven't heard or even met anybody that has actually done that before. Once they get more popular, I might consider them.

I do have a friend that swears by them on his motorcycle, but he is the only person I know that has ever run them.

There are a few using them on the forum, I think. The concept makes sense too me, but I have a number of local guys that balance tires well so I haven't felt the need to experiment. Last set I had done I took to a place that deals mostly with Semi-Truck tires. Bigger than my "little" 32's...they are absolutely perfect.

I kinda want to try something like this....

https://www.harborfreight.com/portable-wheel-balancer-39741.html

Ya I am curious about that too, It might be worth while to try. It looks like a lot of work though. And some storage, because i would also need a bead breaker too. Just in case I need to move the tire around on the rim.

I wonder if I can find a place the does Semi-Truck tires that is a good idea.

BTW my tires are just 31 duratracs which in reality are 30's.

We have two 4wheel parts wholesalers here also, but they want 175 to balance the tires, and although I don't mind paying that if they do a good job, I don't want to pay that if they don't. I haven't heard much good about that place so I have been kind of steering clear.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/balancing-beads.6573/

Funny I was a part of that but must have lost track, but I just read it all and it doesn't give me the warm feeling about getting beads instead. I think if I can find a good tire tech, I could get this solved.

I think I may see if I can find a semi truck shop around close.

Also wondering if anybody has had any luck with tires at 4wheelparts. I may order a set of new rims then It might actually be cheaper to get them balanced, and kill two birds with one stone.

Funny I was a part of that but must have lost track, but I just read it all and it doesn't give me the warm feeling about getting beads instead. I think if I can find a good tire tech, I could get this solved.

I think I may see if I can find a semi truck shop around close.

Also wondering if anybody has had any luck with tires at 4wheelparts. I may order a set of new rims then It might actually be cheaper to get them balanced, and kill two birds with one stone.

Do you live near an interstate? Find a tire shop near a truck stop...