Anyone familiar with Transgo shiftkits in a Jeep application

tquig01

TJ Enthusiast
I have slowly been restoring a 2000 Sahara after years of neglect by the previous owner. The last major overhaul before I can start making "fun" improvements is to rebuild the 32RH transmission. I get an intermittent shudder as it slips going from first to second. I replaced the torque converter and flushed it several times because the tranny fluid was mud when I go it so I knew what I was getting. At 167,000 miles of abuse, it is due for a rebuild. I am pretty mechanically inclined and the simple 3 speed in the TJ isn't that different from the TH350 I had in my Firebird so I am not too concerned with rebuilding it myself.

My question is does anyone have any knowledge of how the 32RH reacts to a stage 1 or 2 shift kit from Transgo? My Firebird had a full manual stage 3 kit, which is obviously far too extreme for the Jeep. I like the idea of the firmer shifts from a wear and tear standpoint but also do not want to be chirping the tires. Since this Jeep will be my son's (a new driver), I am also sensitive to any loss of traction on slippery roads.

Anyone have one and if so, which level? Do you like it? Pros - cons?

Thanks!

I installed a Stage 1 Transgo shift kit in my 42RLE several months ago as part of a more involved fix to a shifting/limp-mode problem. I'm not even sure if I notice its presence, which is what I wanted. It seems to shifts like it did when the transmission was new, it doesn't shift hard or abruptly at all.

It's not difficult to install if you're not afraid to tear into a valve body. Just make sure to make sure everything is scrupulously clean when you reassemble it, and have a 1/4" in-lbs. torque wrench so you get it assembled properly.

So all in all I can't even tell the Transgo Stage 1 kit is installed, which is exactly what I wanted. :)

20180626_093840_resized.jpg
20180626_124903_resized.jpg
20180626_133806_resized.jpg

Reactions: tquig01 and Chris
Thanks Jerry - exactly what I was looking for. As you know, heat is what kills these things and the overlap in shifting just adds to the abuse. These kits remove that to varying degrees, with each one being more abrupt, for the lack of a better term. I was afraid that the stage 2 might be too much with such a light vehicle on icy winter roads in central NY. The only additional feature of a stage 2 is the ability to go to first gear at any speed, which is probably useful in your extreme driving, but it isn't anything that would be used with this one. So it sounds like the stage 1 is just the ticket. I believe it also allows the fluid to circulate in park which is an added bonus on the 32RH. Appreciate the info!!

I will be sure to post pics of the process and my experiences when I tackle this. Thank you again!

I installed a Stage 1 Transgo shift kit in my 42RLE several months ago as part of a more involved fix to a shifting/limp-mode problem. I'm not even sure if I notice its presence, which is what I wanted. It seems to shifts like it did when the transmission was new, it doesn't shift hard or abruptly at all.

It's not difficult to install if you're not afraid to tear into a valve body. Just make sure to make sure everything is scrupulously clean when you reassemble it, and have a 1/4" in-lbs. torque wrench so you get it assembled properly.

So all in all I can't even tell the Transgo Stage 1 kit is installed, which is exactly what I wanted. :)

View attachment 71530View attachment 71531View attachment 71532

@Jerry Bransford You didn't happen to do a write up on this install did you? I would definitely be interested.

I have done several on 44re and 46re trans, all have done much better shifts than stock.

My opinion is don't be scared of drilling too large of holes, go on the larger side of the range they give you.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: twistedlv
@Jerry Bransford You didn't happen to do a write up on this install did you? I would definitely be interested.
Yes but it was more about getting my 42RLE working again and not much on the actual Transgo kit installation. Unfortunately the url address to the article is verboten here.

Reactions: twistedlv
I did it to a 32RH and a 727 and a 999, just follow the directions. You can also get aluminum pistons for these transmissions to replace the plastic ones. Go over to Moparts.com in the forsale section, go to transmission and look there for the contact info. Also do the redline clutches and if you get the thin one, you can add 1 more row on one of the packs. I just wish I could figure out how to install a crank position sensor for a 05 LJ 4.0 into a 727. Tim

Reactions: tquig01