Anyone got budget mud tires that turned out to be great?

JohnJ78

TJ Enthusiast
I had some great ones called Maxtrek Mudtrac on my old 4x4 but can't find any currently in the size I need.

Any other suggestions for good cheapies? I'm trying to save money :(

I've been looking at Achilles Desert Hawk m/t but they seem to be a bit slippery in the wet in most reviews.

If Patagonias are somehow good in the mud, that would be the only place they are any good. Regardless, they deserve to be tossed into a mud hole and left there.
I avoid the mud so I cannot comment there, but I’m sorry you seemed to have had a bad experience with them. I’ve had nothing but good luck with my Patagonia MT’s on the rocks aired down to 9 PSI on steel soft 8s. On the street they are as good as any other mud tire I’ve ran. As with any tire (especially budget tires) there is always a chance to get a bad batch. My buddy had a set of Goodyear MTRs that we’re out of round so bad he could never get them balanced.

Reactions: John Cooper
I avoid the mud so I cannot comment there, but I’m sorry you seemed to have had a bad experience with them. I’ve had nothing but good luck with my Patagonia MT’s on the rocks aired down to 9 PSI on steel soft 8s. On the street they are as good as any other mud tire I’ve ran. As with any tire (especially budget tires) there is always a chance to get a bad batch
. My buddy had a set of Goodyear MTRs that we’re out of round so bad he could never get them balanced.

The MTRK is the best of the five sets I've had on the Jeep so far. The Patagonia was the absolute worst to the point where it actually ruined the vehicle for a summer.

The MTR is the best of the five sets I've had on the Jeep so far. The Patagonia was the absolute worst to the point where it actually ruined the vehicle for a summer.
Man that’s no good. sorry to hear that.

Mastercraft is a budget tire line manufactured by Cooper. I bought a pickup with Mastercraft MT tires many year ago. They were decent tires.

I think the current Mastercraft tires appropriate for a jeep would be the Courser MXT mud terrain, Courser AXT2 all terrain or the hybrid Courser CXT (commercial traction tire similar to ST/Maxx).

Another vote for Patagonias. The MTRKs are not a budget tire, and are in fact the worst tire by far I have ever run on he street. Great offroad though! I had the MTRs in a 38" size and they were not very round and always felt really wobbly. Just very poor build quality on the set that I had. I was very skeptical about the Patagonias, but a guy that wanted to go up to 43s on his JKUR gave me a good deal on them with only 2K miles on them. They were an inexpensive way for me to move up to 40s and get all my accommodations and clearancing done to make them clear everything. Then later down the road, I could upgrade to a better tire. Well, so far, to my surprise, these Milestar Patagonias have been great on and off road and I am very pleased. In fact, the 40" Pats are way better on the street than the 38" MTRKs ever were. BTW, In the last 13 years, I have run:
Maxxis Bighorn 31"
BFG KM1 33"
ProComp XTerrain 35"
Mickey MTZ (2 sets) 35"
Mickey Baja Claws 35"
Goodyear MTRK 38"
Milestar Patagonias 40"

I had some great ones called Maxtrek Mudtrac on my old 4x4 but can't find any currently in the size I need.

Any other suggestions for good cheapies? I'm trying to save money :(

I've been looking at Achilles Desert Hawk m/t but they seem to be a bit slippery in the wet in most reviews.
Size? Price range for "good cheapies"?

Buckshot wide mudders or swamper bias tsl, if you want mud tires, they are the closest thing to a tractor tire and not really the most road friendly.

check out hankook dynapro mt's. had them on my 97 and loved them, they were factory size though. rode and balanced great lasted 45k miles mostly ran on pavement. i think 45k on mud tires is great. liked them so much i put a set on my brothers 91 yj for him

Last edited:
Agreed, pats seem to be a lil slick on wet streets IMHO. Off road wet weather, mainly rock crawling, they seem to bite much better than on road wet weather