Anyone have a B&M Short throw shifter (#45195)?

Camdenst

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hello Guys,

I am curious if anyone here has any experience with the B&M shifter replacement for the nsg370. I have seen info else where on other forums but feel you guys are a cut above in terms of knowledge and professionalism. I understand its a truck tranny and not made to be driven like a car, I was curious if you think it would help the popping out of 1st/ reverse and aid in cleaner shifts from 1-2. I dont want to "bang through the gears", however, I wouldnt mind a nicer, cleaner shift. Ive already switched to redline, im just curious.

Thanks,

Last edited:
If it is popping out of 1st & reverse I don't think a new shifter is going to help. That is normally an indication that your synchro's are going bad. The part of the synchro that holds a gear in position can get worn over time.
Got this from the "Your Mechanic" web site
The most common reason a manual transmission would jump out of gear is due to low or contaminated fluid, worn synchronizers inside the transmission, or improperly adjusted shift linkage.

How long ago did you go to Redline and did the popping out of gear start before or after?

If it is popping out of 1st & reverse I don't think a new shifter is going to help. That is normally an indication that your synchro's are going bad. The part of the synchro that holds a gear in position can get worn over time.
Got this from the "Your Mechanic" web site

X2 to this.

These transmissions tend to not last longer than 200k, but sometimes go bad much sooner. The good thing is that a replacement AX-15 is only $1500 for a brand new unit.

Reactions: JeepZilla380
I bought the shift lever, not the whole assembly. It gives a "more natural" shift position and eliminates the rubber isolator which wears and adds to the sloppiness. What they don't tell you is that if you're running a Tuffy Box console you wont be able to shift into 2nd, 4th, 6th or Reverse! Lol. Found out the hard way after everything was bolted back down. Its a nice piece otherwise. I'd be happy to sell if anyone's interested. I wondered if buying the shifter and having a shorter throw would take care of it. But that's a $500 dice roll I'm not prepared to make right now.

Reactions: Wildman
X2 to this.

These transmissions tend to not last longer than 200k, but sometimes go bad much sooner. The good thing is that a replacement AX-15 is only $1500 for a brand new unit.

But we aren't talking about a AX-15. He had the NSG370 which seems to have had a issue with popping out of 1st gear. I'm not well versed on it since I don't have one but my son's JK does so I have been reading about them.

But we aren't talking about a AX-15. He had the NSG370 which seems to have had a issue with popping out of 1st gear. I'm not well versed on it since I don't have one but my son's JK does so I have been reading about them.

Yes, but what I meant to say is that should his NSG370 actually need a rebuild, the smart thing to do (that everyone else does) is ditch the NSG370 for an AX-15, which bolts-in in place of it, and is a much better transmission (as well as much cheaper to maintain and replace.

But yes, those NSG370 transmissions have had issues with popping out of gear from what I've heard. It's a Mercedes transmission, and much like the Mercedes steering gearbox found in the 03-06 TJs, it ain't cheap to replace!

Reactions: JeepZilla380
Got it. After I posted my reply I was wondering if that was what you were meaning. It sucks that these things aren't fixed by Jeep when it is a known problem.

One way to see if a new shifter tower might be beneficial is to have a look at the shift finger. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/brand-new-to-me-lj-no-reverse-at-all.18123/#post-293887 Watch the video, the professional that works on these transmissions daily will say popping out of first is a shift finger problem. In my experience, popping out of reverse and/or no reverse, is the transmission.

Another thing to try, remove the shift boot and shifter bezel, shift to the offending gear while looking at console clearance. If you see the shifter touch anywhere, cut the plastic it's touching. Next replace the bezel and look for interference there. Pull the boot that covers the shifter shaft attachment to the shifter tower and tighten the Torx bolt. Something else to inspect, inside the connection is a flat key, if it's no longer flat, that can cause sloppy shifting too.

A few reply blurbs from the question asked previously. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/b-m-sport-shifter.17230/#post-280698

Reactions: JMT
Thanks for the replies. Like most qualms with the 6 speed its intermittent. The popping out can be avoided mostly by keeping my hand on the shifter and usually 1st to 2nd improve with increased operating temperature.

Redline has less than 100 miles in the tranny, I'm trying to limit its exposure to the the northeast salt and brine. I read it does take a few 100 miles to feel a difference.

Good to know about the Ax 15 being a bolt in. I had one with my 97 and miss it. Are the ratios that different from the nsg 370? I have an 05 LJR.

k-huevo gave the best advice. I had forgotten about the clearance issues. I swapped out my manual 12 years ago and my daughters hasn't had any shifting issues. Good luck and hope you get it figured out.

Reactions: JMT
Called High Gear and spoke with Tyler, great guy and very knowledgeable. He essential said its a poorly designed 1st and reverse gear. The B&M will help with the symptoms, but the true fix is to have it re manned. High gear charges $1600 with a $1000 core charge and $300 for shipping.

That's good to know. From what Ive read, there's still no fix or upgrade to the poorly designed shift cradle. Did he say anything would be upgraded? Or are you just starting over fresh with the same inherent issues?

I think @JMT had some luck keeping it in 1st and 2nd by adjusting his technique slightly. I have a friend with the same issue, that I can't get to repeat when I'm driving either, so there may be something to technique.

It's not an end of the world type thing and its 98% mitigated by just keeping some pressure on the shifter and making sure it's in gear taking your time to shift. I was curious if spending a few hundred dollars would help. After talking with Tyler and if you can find the B&M cheap I wouldn't hesitate to give it a go.

Can’t say if it will help with your issue but I have the b&m shifter on my AX-15 and I have really liked it over the years. It is a much more positive shift

I know this is an old thread, but those who say the shifter can't cause the popping out of 1st/reverse are wrong. Pull the shifter and check the actuator. If it's worn, that's probably the problem. It was in my case. It fixed the problem, but unfortunately I can't use the shift boots now because the design of the shaft causes it to hit the console if I do. Bubble gum and baling wire time.