Anyone have an opinion on Warn EVO series winches?

Darsmith

TJ Enthusiast
I have a limited budget but want to get a Warn winch for the reliability and support. I can't find much in the way of reviews or owner impressions of the newer EVO series from Warn. Lots of ads and Youtube videos on the installation, but not much for actual use. This would be for occasional use. I'm not a hard core offroader. I have read the article on the Roundforge site comparing the VR series winches. Anybody have one and care to share your impressions? I'm looking at the VR 8 EVO.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Warn. Looks like warn redesigned the vr line to look more like the zeon line of winches. I have the zeon 8 s.

If that was what my budget allowed, that's exactly what I'd go for. Aside from their known quality, one of the biggest advantages Warn has over the others is they stock replacement parts for pretty much everything they have ever made including items no longer sold. Some well known suppliers of winches can't even provide replacement parts for their current winches.

Reactions: Zorba
I have a limited budget but want to get a Warn winch for the reliability and support. I can't find much in the way of reviews or owner impressions of the newer EVO series from Warn. Lots of ads and Youtube videos on the installation, but not much for actual use. This would be for occasional use. I'm not a hard core offroader. I have read the article on the Roundforge site comparing the VR series winches. Anybody have one and care to share your impressions? I'm looking at the VR 8 EVO.
Just added a VR8S

Haven't used it yet, but everything seems to work as it should. Maybe I'll have more to report back when I go out to CO/UT in a few wks

Looks good on the front (Ive been using this pic a lot lately)

U7kb1DDFQny2tKXJwGTNkw.jpg

I've been looking on CL and FB Marketplace for quite a while and the only Warn winch that has come up is a used VR8-S and the guy wants $550 firm. I can get a new one for not much more than that.

Reactions: Hopper
I've been looking on CL and FB Marketplace for quite a while and the only Warn winch that has come up is a used VR8-S and the guy wants $550 firm. I can get a new one for not much more than that.
He can ask all he wants, but you can still offer him less. Doesnt cost anything to ask, worst he can say is no.

There was one on CL when I was looking for mine, it was an xmas present = brand new in the box, guy was asking $100 under retail. I thought about it too long and it was gone.

The GF bought me the EVO 12s after we got stuck last fall without one lol. Haven’t used it yet but quality seems in line with other warn products. The only real complaint I’ve heard about the EVOs are their line speed compared to the Zeons which wasn’t a concern of mine.
1AEA40D0-D5BD-4E81-8E03-DFD159DB66F2.jpeg

So disregarding the cable/synthetic line and fairleads are the EVO and EVO-S winches any different from each other (aside from the '-S' on the labelling)? In other words, could you purchase an EVO 8 and swap out the steel cable for synthetic line? Is it as easy as that or is there a difference in how the cable/synthetic line attaches to the drum. I have a chance to pick up some new 3/8" synthetic line (rated for 23,000 lbs.) from a buddy for significantly less than the price difference between the EVO 8 and EVO 8-S. Bottom line would be a big savings by getting the steel cable version and swapping the cable for the synthetic line, even after purchasing an aftermarket aluminum hawse fairlead.

Or has anyone ever contacted Warn about buying a winch minus the fairlead and line?

So disregarding the cable/synthetic line and fairleads are the EVO and EVO-S winches any different from each other (aside from the '-S' on the labelling)? In other words, could you purchase an EVO 8 and swap out the steel cable for synthetic line? Is it as easy as that or is there a difference in how the cable/synthetic line attaches to the drum. I have a chance to pick up some new 3/8" synthetic line (rated for 23,000 lbs.) from a buddy for significantly less than the price difference between the EVO 8 and EVO 8-S. Bottom line would be a big savings by getting the steel cable version and swapping the cable for the synthetic line, even after purchasing an aftermarket aluminum hawse fairlead.

Or has anyone ever contacted Warn about buying a winch minus the fairlead and line?
Reading the FAQ on other sites, you can swap them and the only difference is the line material.