Anyone have any experience with Baofeng BF-F8HP

Like pagrey mentioned. It’s not a FCC cert. I have built quite a few GMRS repeaters and have not had any trouble with using any boafeng radio on GMRS.
I realize that folks program radios for frequencies outside of their certification from the FCC. I'm not arguing that at all.

Sure it does. It’s certified for 2M and 70cm. That’s pretty well known. Here’s a link to the certification documentation.
https://fccid.io/2AGNDF8HP/Test-Report/test-report-3718285
If I though the info was worthless I wouldn’t have asked for it. 😊

That is an FCC Part15B test which tests unintentional emissions. Every electronic device has to undergo this because every electronic device emits radio waves and it's the FCC's job to make sure they don't interfere with other electronics. It passed. According to the report, here is what they tested.

test.png

The Baofeng can't be certified for use as a GMRS radio because federal law prohibits it:

§ 95.1761(c) No GMRS transmitter will be certified for use in the GMRS if it is equipped with a frequency capability not listed in § 95.1763 (my note, this is a list of GMRS frequencies), unless such transmitter is also certified for use in another radio service for which the frequency is authorized and for which certification is also required. No GMRS transmitter will be certified for use in the GMRS if it is equipped with the capabilities to operate in services that do not require equipment certification, such as the Amateur Radio Service.

The FCC and even Amazon have initiated crackdowns on radios like these but haven't seemed to have much effect.

Where is Randy, I mean Xenu when you need him? We need somebody to explain some RF electricities here.
It wouldn’t be that hard for you to take your BF8-HP and your signal analyzer and shoot a short video showing whatever info you’re trying to convey. That would probably get your points across a little better, because I’m having a hard time understanding how RF leakage makes a transceiver suitable for a band it’s not certified for. 😊

Last edited:
The radios available now have changed because of the FCC, have you been reading any of this thread?

That's pretty hit or miss. I bought two different Baofengs in November to loan to new hams for an event and both transmit up to 520.

That's pretty hit or miss. I bought two different Baofengs in November to loan to new hams for an event and both transmit up to 520.
2022 Wranglers will be on the lot when 2023 models hit the dealerships, the iPhone 13 will still be for sale when the 14 is for sale so what you are saying doesn't surprise me too much. The good ones will probably be available for years if you know where to look.

A earlier issue regarding import of chinese radios was the scramble function. While it was a simple function and "crackable" with any other boafeng, it was still illegal. I had to hunt all over to find any with scramble function available. Finally about a year ago, I gave up. What a pain! I had to bring in old radios to run through chirp to change to "no scramble" to match the newer radios.

For trail running, these guys do a fair job and are all programmed alike.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TW8GW7Z/?tag=wranglerorg-20
The above are "upgraded" version. I have a few of these for local stuff, no repeater work. These do work great for repeaters. Especially if you need hassle free operation.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TW8GW7Z/?tag=wranglerorg-20

it was still illegal.
Illegal to sell but having a radio that encodes is perfectly legal as long as you only use the function on frequencies where it's allowed. People have allot of trouble in general separating rules for making and selling radios vs rules for operating them. A good example is AM/FM CB. FM CB the last time I checked was not yet approved in the US so you can't sell an FM CB radio. But if you own one and switch it to AM and transmit at the correct power levels it is okay. This is difficult for some people to grasp, even though the radio isn't certified for CB in the US and cannot be sold because it can transmit FM it is fine for use if you own it and operate it in a compliant manner.

I understand that. In fact we can go deeper. The words "certified" and "compliant". Certified means the agency has tested it and found it to be compliant. Compliant means it complies with the rules set by an agency.

Do you think the FCC has "certified" every item that emits RF that has a "certified" sticker? They pass them out like candy LOL.

Reactions: pagrey
FM CB was supposed to become legal 10/28/2021, but I haven't checked into it to see if it really happened. May be like the $35 GMRS ticket...

So this just happened.

I'll post back in a few days if the two radios I have that are blocked are fixed with this. Good news if it works.
I've never seen any video that is harder to watch than any of that guy's content.

Reactions: Sancho
I've never seen any video that is harder to watch than any of that guy's content.
At least it was short and (mostly) to the point. Some people would make this a 20 minute video! Honestly, I'd rather it just be simple text instructions on a webpage - 15 seconds to comprehend, another 15 seconds to execute.

At least it was short and (mostly) to the point. Some people would make this a 20 minute video! Honestly, I'd rather it just be simple text instructions on a webpage - 15 seconds to comprehend, another 15 seconds to execute.
I will give him that. He's otherwise insufferable. I can only hope he's doing a bit with that character he plays.

A buddy of mine had his GHB stolen from his truck. His older UV-5r was in the bag. He brought over a brand new (delivered yesterday) amazon purchased UV-5r and we loaded it up with a chirp file. No blockage or any warnings. he tested it 6 miles from my GMRS repeater and all good.

Reactions: hear and pagrey