Anyone have any experience with Baofeng BF-F8HP

I've never seen any video that is harder to watch than any of that guy's content.
Funny I am the opposite I love watching that guy.

To the OP I have had a UV-5R for couple of years now, 2 BF-888s's and a couple of those really small BF-T1's.
As most people stated the BF-F8HP works identical to the UV-5R so I would definitely recommend it.

If you don't mind waiting and ordering stuff from China, Banggood has the UV-5R with the extended battery on sale for $20.00.
I think I am going to pick up another.

Also when can you start liking posts?

Funny I am the opposite I love watching that guy.

To the OP I have had a UV-5R for couple of years now, 2 BF-888s's and a couple of those really small BF-T1's.
As most people stated the BF-F8HP works identical to the UV-5R so I would definitely recommend it.

If you don't mind waiting and ordering stuff from China, Banggood has the UV-5R with the extended battery on sale for $20.00.
I think I am going to pick up another.

Also when can you start liking posts?
As of right now, this thing is sitting in the box. It doesn't appear to be very user friendly when it comes to the programming. It will sit until my buddy stops by. Unlike me, he is very knowledgeable when it come to this stuff.

As of right now, this thing is sitting in the box. It doesn't appear to be very user friendly when it comes to the programming. It will sit until my buddy stops by. Unlike me, he is very knowledgeable when it come to this stuff.
This isn't meant to self promote, but perhaps this could help? Programming manually is a total pain for more than a single channel or two (I still need to figure out how to program my hard-mounted unit).

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...-gmrs-radio-with-chirp-for-almost-free.59394/

Reactions: WSS and williambmac
Radio, battery, antenna, charger and program cable. and the manual.
Yeah but which model did you end up getting?
I apologize if I missed that in a previous response.

I am going to assume you did get what what's in the title.
As others stated don't try to program it from the front. You can download preconfigured excel spreadsheets basically with everything setup. Then with Chirp you will upload that file to the radio and done.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, guys. I'll try messing with it again today.
I did try reading up on it and attempted to watch several tutorials. Unfortunately, since having covid.. I am having an extremely hard time focusing/brain fog.

Oh what the hell man. Sorry to hear it.

Are you able to make the radio talk to chirp at all? Can you download the factory image? If so, do that, save it, and send it to me. I'll program standard GMRS + some local repeaters and shoot it back to you.

Oh what the hell man. Sorry to hear it.

Are you able to make the radio talk to chirp at all? Can you download the factory image? If so, do that, save it, and send it to me. I'll program standard GMRS + some local repeaters and shoot it back to you.
I think it will talk to chirp. I was messing with it but got frustrated and put it away.
When I get home later, I will double check. Thanks.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
I did try reading up on it and attempted to watch several tutorials. Unfortunately, since having covid.. I am having an extremely hard time focusing/brain fog.
It is real! It does fade for most after a while. I had it for about 2 months at a high level, then it sorta faded and I could force the focus. Still have to be conscious of it.

I think the best thing for it was "recognizing" it or going with it so to speak. Another helpful thing I did was a IV replenish thing. It put back all the stuff we lose after the vid.

https://driphydration.com/mobile-iv-treatments/
I did the "all inclusive", but you can see the there are specific for just brain health and one for post illness (recovery) also.

Not saying this is the end all, but it did help. YMMV

Got rid of the CB a couple of years ago as our club switched to GMRS. In vehicle we use the midland radio which process better clarity of comms and maybe also better range compared to the baofeng.
We have two of these with us, they are cheap and work great for spotting and outside the vehicle. We also hand them out as trail spare in case someone in the group is without radio. Battery lasts quite long.
F48E1390-1F3E-4402-A0A3-94D1AA25F14C.jpeg

I had the brain fog bad too, for maybe 2-3 weeks. I don't know if it just wore off then or if the project I was working on helped burn it off. But once it was gone it hasn't returned. While it was there, it was definitely real.

If you're still struggling with the UV-5R (or similar Baofeng radio) programming, it does not have to be as hard as everyone makes it out to be. I'm going to put the process here, knowing full well it will do no good. But it also takes less than 10 seconds to program a frequency to a channel, so decide if you want to hassle with installing Chinese software on your machine (bad news if you use a Mac, like I do), finding a cable that works, attempting to plug in the USB three times before it goes in, etc.

One underrated side effect of going through this process is that you will quickly learn what the various buttons on the radio do. There are a lot of them, and perhaps the best way to learn is by doing.

Tune in a frequency
1. Radio ON, volume up so you can hear the fair maiden whisper sweet nothings in your ear
2. Hit the orange VFO/MR button to switch to frequency mode. If she says "Channel Mode" just press it again.
3. Hit the blue A/B button until the little caret on the display is on the upper frequency (memory channels attach to the "A" channel in your display, not the lower "B' frequency)
4. Enter the frequency you want to program... 4 6 2 5 6 2 the trailing 5 in the ten thousandths column isn't entered)
- 462.5625 corresponds to FRS/GMRS channel 1
- you can easily find a chart of frequencies/channels on the line

Store that frequency to a memory channel
5. Hit MENU
6. Either use the up/down arrows to scroll to MEM-CH or type 2 7 to shortcut to the MEM-CH menu option
7. Hit MENU again to put you into edit mode. You'll notice the caret move from the name of the menu on the top line to the channel number on the lower line
8. Use the up/down arrows to across to the memory channel number you want to use.
- if a channel number is already attached to something, it will have "CH" in front of the number.
- you can also type in the channel as a 3 digit number
9. Once you're on the channel you want to save into, press MENU again.
10. Press EXIT, or just wait a few moments and it will take you back to the main operational screen.

Repeat steps 4-10 for all the frequencies you want to program. This will not take long and is not particularly tedious. Perhaps the best part of doing this by hand is that you learn a lot about how to use the radio and what many of the buttons do. The only true advantage you gain by using the software is that you can actually name your channels. That's probably handy for your various weather channels & MURS

Navigating to a stored memory channel
1. Press orange VFO/MR button until she says "Channel Mode"
- you can be on either A or B, but select A/B to pick which one you want to set (top or bottom)
2. Type the channel you want to go to as a three digit number. i.e. channel 1 would mean you'd type in 0 0 1

You should see your display change to the programmed frequency for the channel you entered, and also you'll see that channel number as a smaller number off to the right of the frequency.

Of course the UV-5R isn't approved/certified/whatever to transmit on GMRS, so don't hit the PTT button for fear of this thing actually working like what you probably bought it for. ;)

Using privacy codes isn't all that hard either, and there is a trick to scan for them in case you're with people who have other brands of radios. But I've typed enough for one post. Full disclosure: as hard as he is to listen to with all the sidetracking about sad hams etc, I've learned all this from notarubicon's YT channel. I'm half tempted to record my own similar videos without all the sololoquies, I could probably compress the entire operation of the radio to under 5 minutes.

Reactions: Zorba
I had the brain fog bad too, for maybe 2-3 weeks. I don't know if it just wore off then or if the project I was working on helped burn it off. But once it was gone it hasn't returned. While it was there, it was definitely real.

If you're still struggling with the UV-5R (or similar Baofeng radio) programming, it does not have to be as hard as everyone makes it out to be. I'm going to put the process here, knowing full well it will do no good. But it also takes less than 10 seconds to program a frequency to a channel, so decide if you want to hassle with installing Chinese software on your machine (bad news if you use a Mac, like I do), finding a cable that works, attempting to plug in the USB three times before it goes in, etc.

One underrated side effect of going through this process is that you will quickly learn what the various buttons on the radio do. There are a lot of them, and perhaps the best way to learn is by doing.

Tune in a frequency
1. Radio ON, volume up so you can hear the fair maiden whisper sweet nothings in your ear
2. Hit the orange VFO/MR button to switch to frequency mode. If she says "Channel Mode" just press it again.
3. Hit the blue A/B button until the little caret on the display is on the upper frequency (memory channels attach to the "A" channel in your display, not the lower "B' frequency)
4. Enter the frequency you want to program... 4 6 2 5 6 2 the trailing 5 in the ten thousandths column isn't entered)
- 462.5625 corresponds to FRS/GMRS channel 1
- you can easily find a chart of frequencies/channels on the line

Store that frequency to a memory channel
5. Hit MENU
6. Either use the up/down arrows to scroll to MEM-CH or type 2 7 to shortcut to the MEM-CH menu option
7. Hit MENU again to put you into edit mode. You'll notice the caret move from the name of the menu on the top line to the channel number on the lower line
8. Use the up/down arrows to across to the memory channel number you want to use.
- if a channel number is already attached to something, it will have "CH" in front of the number.
- you can also type in the channel as a 3 digit number
9. Once you're on the channel you want to save into, press MENU again.
10. Press EXIT, or just wait a few moments and it will take you back to the main operational screen.

Repeat steps 4-10 for all the frequencies you want to program. This will not take long and is not particularly tedious. Perhaps the best part of doing this by hand is that you learn a lot about how to use the radio and what many of the buttons do. The only true advantage you gain by using the software is that you can actually name your channels. That's probably handy for your various weather channels & MURS

Navigating to a stored memory channel
1. Press orange VFO/MR button until she says "Channel Mode"
- you can be on either A or B, but select A/B to pick which one you want to set (top or bottom)
2. Type the channel you want to go to as a three digit number. i.e. channel 1 would mean you'd type in 0 0 1

You should see your display change to the programmed frequency for the channel you entered, and also you'll see that channel number as a smaller number off to the right of the frequency.

Of course the UV-5R isn't approved/certified/whatever to transmit on GMRS, so don't hit the PTT button for fear of this thing actually working like what you probably bought it for. ;)

Using privacy codes isn't all that hard either, and there is a trick to scan for them in case you're with people who have other brands of radios. But I've typed enough for one post. Full disclosure: as hard as he is to listen to with all the sidetracking about sad hams etc, I've learned all this from notarubicon's YT channel. I'm half tempted to record my own similar videos without all the sololoquies, I could probably compress the entire operation of the radio to under 5 minutes.
Completely off topic but I had a pretty hefty case of brain fog after the Covid as well.

Completely off topic but I had a pretty hefty case of brain fog after the Covid as well.
How are you now? I have good days and bad days. More good but still frustrating. Last night I was explaining a news story to my wife and she asked are you sure you mean “Biden”? I said no, Putin. Then I realized I said “Biden” instead of Putin. Talk about lost.

Reactions: Wheeler