Anyone have any experience with Baofeng BF-F8HP

I seem to recall several people discussing the virus - and if you don't like my terminology, too bad - take your Politically Correct nonsense elswhere. Would you prefer I call it the "Fauci Virus"? Same difference.
You are going to screw this thread up. It's not political correctness. Fuck political correctness. It's about not bringing crackpot conspiracy theories outside of the political forum. Keep that bullshit where it belongs and where I can ignore it. I'm here to talk about jeeps and radios.

You are going to screw this thread up. It's not political correctness. Fuck political correctness. It's about not bringing crackpot conspiracy theories outside of the political forum. Keep that bullshit where it belongs and where I can ignore it. I'm here to talk about jeeps and radios.
Again, I didn't bring the subject up. Someone else did. And if you're butthurt over my terminology, too bad. Nobody's talking about politics in this thread, CCP/Fauci virus or otherwise. Its a name - if you want to argue about "noises of the mouth", see the term "Politically Correct". Nobody's screwing this thread up EXCEPT for two people who got butthurt over terminology - I have ZERO patience with such nonsense. This is the last thing I have to say about this, if anyone else wants to continue to cry about it, have at it.

• USA Proud
Reactions: RINC and PRNDL
And I have zero patience for people trying to spin a global pandemic to suit their politically driven fringe conspiracy theories which is why I was asking--fairly adult like I think--to keep that shit where it belongs. So exactly this doesn't happen.

If I referenced the former narcissist in chief instead of former president Trump you guys would be all over that like shit on stink. Same same. But fine, you are done with it and a big enough of a person to let me have the last word. Thanks.

And I have zero patience for people trying to spin a global pandemic to suit their politically driven fringe conspiracy theories which is why I was asking--fairly adult like I think--to keep that shit where it belongs. So exactly this doesn't happen.

If I referenced the former narcissist in chief instead of former president Trump you guys would be all over that like shit on stink. Same same. But fine, you are done with it and a big enough of a person to let me have the last word. Thanks.
Who spun anything. Chill dude. You don’t have to believe any of this is real. But you also need to back away from the edge there. Attacking a member verbally is not tolerated here. Yes, take that to the political section. He simply replied to a few questions. Work at having some sympathy for those of us who know it’s real.

Stop your attacks. No more.

Thought this thread was about radios and comms. How'd it get hijacked to become political pissing bitching and moaning about covid?
Why not start a new thread where you guys can hurl your crap at each other and those of us looking for discussions on radios and comms can stick with the topic

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Thought this thread was about radios and comms. How'd it get hijacked to become political pissing bitching and moaning about covid?
Why not start a new thread where you guys can hurl your crap at each other and those of us looking for discussions on radios and comms can stick with the topic
It will start with you, when will you be ready to discuss a baofeng radio?

Reactions: Zorba
Ok, I will try to get it back on track, look at the bin labeled "HT radios, faraday bagged"

In the bag are "chirped" radios, 6 BF-888s and 2 uv5r types. Anyone think the bags will work?

Obviously, leave the tin hat and conspiracy theories out as has been requested.

I bought a few of these kits for friends and such....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08K8N945W/?tag=wranglerorg-20
The charger and a prophalatic cable are in the bag too plus a pair of uv5r's sharing one usb charger.

IMG_0783.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Wheeler
Im
Ok, I will try to get it back on track, look at the bin labeled "HT radios, faraday bagged"

In the bag are "chirped" radios, 6 BF-888s and 2 uv5r types. Anyone think the bags will work?

Obviously, leave the tin hat and conspiracy theories out as has been requested.

I bought a few of these kits for friends and such....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08K8N945W/?tag=wranglerorg-20
The charger and a prophalatic cable are in the bag too plus a pair of uv5r's sharing one usb charger.

View attachment 317159
I am impressed and a little jealous of your organizational skills.

Reactions: WSS
It will start with you, when will you be ready to discuss a baofeng radio?
Ok here goes.
Yes Zorba...for you too.
Have a few Baofeng radios. They were my starter radio. Now using Alinco and Yaesu mobiles much more often than the Baofengs or Tera and Radioddity HTs. Baofeng is an OK introduction but may soon outgrow them. For those who have recently acquired one and want a quick programming cheatsheet this worked well for me especially on the fly when away from PC for Chirp programming.
https://w7apk.com/baofeng

Reactions: williambmac and WSS
Ok here goes.
Yes Zorba...for you too.
Have a few Baofeng radios. They were my starter radio. Now using Alinco and Yaesu mobiles much more often than the Baofengs or Tera and Radioddity HTs. Baofeng is an OK introduction but may soon outgrow them. For those who have recently acquired one and want a quick programming cheatsheet this worked well for me especially on the fly when away from PC for Chirp programming.
https://w7apk.com/baofeng
Agreed about the better radios. These are jumping off/getting started radios. I love my Yaesu HT's. I still run 20yo VX5's and 6's that were expanded when I bought them. They have 6m too but I have never really used that band with HT's.

One thing I will say about the baofengs, cheap! I have outfitted a few groups that needed more than 100 radios. We gave the BF-888s a chance and they did very well. The fact that you could buy them for $10ea meant you did not repair or even replace a battery, just pass out a new one. The down side is they are not very water resistant. We had to buy these gooofy covers for folks at risk off water damage. That worked but made the radio muffled and the key needed some work so it would not accidentally tx.

To date, I have probably put 500 radios in service. Most last about 2 years, a few have gone 3yrs. Battery holder seems to be the weak point, a few good drops and the battery clip snaps, tape works for a while LOL.

I saw Cup-O-Noodles and was all good!
Ya, my wife’s contributions. About five years ago, I bought a “family pack” of legacy freeze dried food. I hope it’s A) good if I need it or B) it expires and I replace it with something 25 years newer. Lol

Here is something I have yet to properly diagnose.

My repeater runs two Motorola cdm1550 for tx and rx. It has a “I’d-o-matic” that controls the repeater, it has voice id too. The voice id sounds perfect even at low signal strength. When I use a uv5r or it’s clones (bf8, etc) the output carry’s a oscillating sound that is at least half the output. Annoying of course. My Yaesu or Standard mobiles don’t have that sound, just the baofengs. Even the bf888’s. The further away, the stronger the oscillation.

Any ideas??

It’s FCC certified as a 2 meter and 70 centimeter HAM Handheld transceiver. It will receive a broader range including FM broadcast and weather stations.

It is not certified as a GMRS radio. To the best of my knowledge, it will not transmit on those frequencies like the older UV-5R radios.

It’s not very intuitive to program using the keypad but it is doable. As mentioned above CHIRP is the easiest way to program but you need the Baofeng cable to make it happen.

I have mine set up with the majority of the 2m repeaters in the Atlanta area programmed in. Any time I take a road trip I plot some repeaters along my route and have those settings stored as well.

It works really well with an inexpensive mag mount antenna on a vehicle.
The limit for GMRS is 5 watts. Plus you need a License.

You can get a 5 watt really nice GMRS from Radioditty for around 39$ Amazon or occasionally discounted direct from them. That being said, 2 meter repeaters are pretty much everywhere and the Technician license is not hard to pass. Its worth having both. CB's can be problematic due to the wild west atmosphere at times. Besides the more antennas the cooler you look! (hah!)

Reactions: WSS and Zorba
If you struggle with that unit, consider picking up a cheap GMRS HT. They are a bit easier to figure out, and many have their own programming software you can download from the company that sells them.

https://www.radioddity.com/products/radioddity-gm-30
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098JGLWZ1/?tag=wranglerorg-20
https://www.retevis.com/rb27-30-channel-gmrs-long-range-two-way-radios-with-noaa#A9216AX1-C9034AX1
Just a few to choose from.
The Radioditty is probably the best legal one for the money. Also their support is without pier.

Reactions: bobthetj03
I've never had any type of comunication device in any of my Jeeps, mainly because I really know nothing about them or the technology.
I year or so ago I was going to install a CB but it never happened.
A few weeks ago one of my neighbors gave me this hand held device, a charger and a program cable.
He said he messed with it for a while but couldn't get it programmed.
Is it considered a HAM, GMRS or a 2 way?
How are you supposed to program it and do I need a licence for it?
Is it any good?
Again, I know next to nothing about it. Thanks.
You can program any Baofeng 2 way radios with a program that you can download into your PC. The program is called CHIRP and you can download it from chirp.danplanet.com.
At first it is a bit disappointing with its white page, but click on "Radio"+"Query Data Source"+"RepeaterBook"+"Repeater book Political Query"+ follow.
Remember that it is mandatory to obtain a licence to transmit while it is free to receive.
My calling sign VE7TIZ.
Cheers or, as we say, "73"

Reactions: williambmac