Anyone have any experience with the Quadratec Q9000 winch?

XISophos

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hi all! My wife recently bought a '16 JKU that came with a Quadratec branded Q9000 winch on it. It seems to be a basic affair with a cable that seems to be in nearly new shape. The long and short of it was that she didn't really want the winch to begin with (grocery getter), and had me take it off. I have yet to install any winch onto my TJ, and wondered of the quality. I know sometimes items with the big Q on it are questionable, but having looked around, I can't find where it stands out in one way or the other. Would it be worth swapping out the cable for a rope, and running it, or should I just sell the thing and put the money toward another brand? The TJ is a DD so it doesn't see a lot of really rough stuff, we just like to go hit a trail every so often.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

***EDIT*** Many apologies. I meant to put this thread over in the Gear section.

Now this is coming from someone that just started 4 wheeling this year and my Jeep is also a DD. I too don't do really rough stuff as far as wheeling. The way I look at it is, it was basically free (per say), might as well use it. I have a Smittybilt winch that I just put on my Jeep. I know it's not the best rated winch, but it was free. I myself don't want to spend 6-800 dollars on a good winch right now because of not really off roading on really difficult stuff right now. Now later down the road if I do get into it more and find I would benefit from a better winch, I may look into selling this one and buying a better one.

Just my opinion on a not so rated winch. :D I'm sure the guys that actually will use the winch most the time while wheeling will have other opinions on the subject. :D

If it works, use it until it breaks (if it breaks). I personally wouldn't swap it out for a new winch unless it broke, but I'm also not the type who is regularly using my winch, so that's just my opinion.

I have one on my ‘05 LJR. One of the two previous owners installed it on the vehicle but I have no idea how long ago that may have been.

Anyway, I have used the winch three times in the 3.5 years I’ve had the Jeep. It has worked well each time I’ve used it. I have no complaints about the unit. Mine is spooled with steel cable and does not have a cover, so it is always out in the elements.

You might as well use it until it breaks.