Anyone have CJ style flush mounted fog lights on their TJ's grille?

EJD

TJ Overlander
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
So I just got a new set of beautiful headlights for my TJ and a matching set of fogs from KC Hilites, the fogs have a few different ways you could mount them but typically they would be bumper mounted, but i'm just not sure if I like the way 4" lights look on the bumper in comparison to the stock 6" lights. So I was toying around with different mounting locations and they actually look good in the space just below the headlights.

So I was curious if anyone here has flush mounted fog lights on their grille like the CJ-5 in the picture below? Anyone have thoughts on mounting lights here in that nice empty spot on the grille? Good idea, bad idea? Just trying to research this a little before I go cutting anything up.

IMG_20180327_184308.jpg

Mine arent fogs but I put my turn signals there after the high line intall.

View attachment 109776
How are they mounted in there, press/tension-fit? or is there a bolt/bracket on the backside? Did you have a template of where to cut of did you just pick a spot? I think they look good on there! Any regrets?

How are they mounted in there, press/tension-fit? or is there a bolt/bracket on the backside? Did you have a template of where to cut of did you just pick a spot? I think they look good on there! Any regrets?

Push n' twist. They are the Jk turn signals. Not sure how your current fogs are but the JK signals have little plastic tabs. Once the hole was drilled in the grilled I took a hacksaw blade and notched the hole for the three tabs. Once it was in I simply turned the light to lock it into place. Been on there since early last year and hasnt moved an inch.

I want to say I took rough measurements from the bottom of the grill, and another measurement from the outside slot of the grill where I thought they should go. Made sure it was the same measurement on both sides and went at it with a big hole saw. Plenty of room on the backside too.

No regrets. I think they look like they belong there.

Small fogs would look really good too. Can you post a picture of what you have? Off the top of my head I think you could drill a hole like I did, then weld a tab or two on the grill for the bolts of the new light to mount too.

Push n' twist. They are the Jk turn signals. Not sure how your current fogs are but the JK signals have little plastic tabs. Once the hole was drilled in the grilled I took a hacksaw blade and notched the hole for the three tabs. Once it was in I simply turned the light to lock it into place. Been on there since early last year and hasnt moved an inch.

I want to say I took rough measurements from the bottom of the grill, and another measurement from the outside slot of the grill where I thought they should go. Made sure it was the same measurement on both sides and went at it with a big hole saw. Plenty of room on the backside too.

No regrets. I think they look like they belong there.

Small fogs would look really good too. Can you post a picture of what you have? Off the top of my head I think you could drill a hole like I did, then weld a tab or two on the grill for the bolts of the new light to mount too.
Cool man, I think i'm gonna go for it. I looked through that other thread you posted too and not only was it funny but had some good insight on the topic so I appreciate that.

So rather than take pictures i'll just take some from Amazon for the sake of time
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015EBIVB4/?tag=wranglerorg-20
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P2LRJSI/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Here you can kind of get a few really good close-ups of the light housings and one of the 2 brackets I have. So pretty much if I use this JK bracket the light won't be flush but sunken. If I delete the bracket and just use the light housing, I may be able to just cut the hole in the grille to the diameter of the light housing just behind the lens, and kind of press-fit the light into it with some epoxy or RTV or something based on how lightweight they are.

Might be able to take the base of those and mount it sideways to the side of the grill.

Switching to the UK turn signals cause any hiccup with the blinkers? What did you do about the blinkers on the fender flairs? Just remove the wiring or did you wire both the flair light wires and the fender wires together?

Not UK turn signals. TJ turn signals. Damn autocorrect! How did you wire up the JK lights to the TJ wiring. Any issues with the outboard blinky lights on the flares?