Anyone have experience with Redrock winches?

Grey_Machine7.3

Acts like a mechanic
Supporting Member
So. On extreme terrain, there is a redrock 12k winch on sale right now for $250. Wondering if anyone has any experience with these winches. I'm sure it's a Chinese made junker at that price.

At that price it is indeed a Chinese junker. Probably very similar to the Harbor Freight Badlands winch (which from the people I know who have those, only last about 6 months before they break completely).

Reactions: Grey_Machine7.3
At that price it is indeed a Chinese junker. Probably very similar to the Harbor Freight Badlands winch (which from the people I know who have those, only last about 6 months before they break completely).
Ty for the name change. Lol, was eating lunch when I posted it a few minutes ago. I do have a Badlands that I was going to toss on my tow trailer, and I'm pretty sure the winch on my jeep is currently a Badlands. So old and sunfaded there's not much way to tell. Other than the deteriorating rubber caps for the cable hookups. Tell tale sign of a Chinese junker.
I'll probably end up getting a warn, but the price tag oof. I read somewhere on this forum yesterday, the saying "do it once and be done for a long time"
I like that.

Reactions: rasband and Chris
Ty for the name change. Lol, was eating lunch when I posted it a few minutes ago. I do have a Badlands that I was going to toss on my tow trailer, and I'm pretty sure the winch on my jeep is currently a Badlands. So old and sunfaded there's not much way to tell. Other than the deteriorating rubber caps for the cable hookups. Tell tale sign of a Chinese junker.
I'll probably end up getting a warn, but the price tag oof. I read somewhere on this forum yesterday, the saying "do it once and be done for a long time"
I like that.

No problem :)

I know a guy with a Badlands winch who does a lot of off-roading. He said he has been through 4 of them in a year. He said if it wasn't for the fact that he bought the extended warranty on it through Harbor Freight (and therefore they keep giving him brand news ones anytime they break), he would have tossed it in the garbage a long time ago.

You can't go wrong with Warn. I know of a lot of guys who use the Smittybilt X2O winch and have never had issues with it. That's the winch I own myself, but I admittedly haven't used it yet.

Yeah, I don't want to swap winches all the time. Just seems like el hassle to me.

Unless you have a very basic bumper, then it might be. But with a pretty basic bumper, it's actually pretty easy to swap them out.

Still, I wouldn't want to do that :ROFLMAO:

A 12000lb Engo winch can be had for $349.00. I've had 2 and never had a problem with either,and they have a good reputation to boot.

Sorry, but in my experience, I would not purchase anything mechanical that is built or produced for Extreme Terrain. Unless that winch has a separate warranty, their product support is Extreme garbage lol ~ yes, Im laughing, but Im serious. If Im not mistaken, they back / support most items for only 30 days from the day of purchase.

Especially if the time you realize you need a swap is in BFE and your only hope of getting out is said winch.
"Yeah I got me one of dem Chinese winches, ya know, I went ahead and bought two, at half the cost of ONE of these murican ones. So I got me a backup when it breaks"
Could you imagine. Just hauling a spare winch around on the trails. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: rasband
I can't imagine paying twice as much for a winch that does the same thing, but that's just me.
They might do the same thing, but they do it more than once...

I bought the cheapest smittybuilt 9500 on sale when I bought my jeep, it was under $250 at the time from amazon.

I've used it a dozen times in the past year without issue. The only thing I did was dielectric the electrical connections.

I'm debating on going sythetic line on this one, or selling it and upgrading.

WARN 96820 12,000 lb. VR12 Winch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M4QU58T/?tag=wranglerorg-20

What about this? I've heard mixed things about warns VR series. I know 12k is over kill. But my winch will be the weakest part of any winch recovery I do. So I'd rather have to much than to little and burn one up, or Satan forbid, break it/snap a line.
Also, going to steel because I don't want to deal with rope maintenance.

So today. (I've already allotted a little budget for a winch, so don't think I was trying to fix this for keeps) I decided to try to get my Badlands winch working in my tj (that hasn't been used in over 5years). I was fully expecting it to be rusted together/ seized up. I open the gear side (forgot to take a picture) looks beautiful, tons of grease, spins very easy(with the clutch engaged) so, problem is electrical.. has to be..
Open up the electromagnetic side, and I notice it's missing one of the bolts that holds that entire assembly to the winch. Oh boy. It's rusted, corroded, and super nasty.
IMG_20190810_214749.jpg

So, after cleaning that up with a wirebrush n junk, I took apart the contactor box and cleaned that all up (I didn't need to, for when I hit the remote I could feel and hear the contactor actuating).
With the cover off, mind you it's not seated how it should be, I was getting spark and the shaft wanted to turn(was just bumping it).
I put the cover back on and nothing, missing bolt on it though. On the winch frame thingy there are FOUR threaded holes, the cover only has two bolt holes for two bolts. So I'm thinking that it's not making good contact when it's all assembled. I'm tempted to throw some more holes in the cover, get three more bolts and see if it works like it should.

Weird that it's got 4threaded holes, but only two that actually get used. Chinese junker.

I a winch has ever seen water, the inside of the motor will look like that. I have yet to see one that's painted on the inside. The motor on my 8274 is only held on by 2 screws as well...

The brushes look like they're hung up too. They should spring out a lot farther than that.

I a winch has ever seen water, the inside of the motor will look like that. I have yet to see one that's painted on the inside. The motor on my 8274 is only held on by 2 screws as well...

The brushes look like they're hung up too. They should spring out a lot farther than that.
There was a tiny tiny Gap on the two at the bottom I'm thinking because there was only one bolt holding it together.