Anyone have good recommendations for a decent heater for the garage? Needs to be 110v

I snagged a forced air propane on FB for $80 vs Amazon $170. It’s fine except two things. 1. It’s loud. 2. I have to leave the garage door cracked to vent the place, which is counterproductive.

I had something similiar, looks and sounded like the afterburners of Jet were on.

Reactions: Blondie70 and JMT
@tworley. If you recall, I bought a 35,000-60,000 BTU forced heat propane unit on FB for $80. My garage is about 450sq ft.

Pro's
  • It heats the garage mostly, definitely something I can live with
Cons
  • Warm close to the unit, but variable as you go farther away (understandably).
  • Have to vent the garage which lets cold air in
  • Uses more propane than I would like

Reactions: Blondie70
@tworley. If you recall, I bought a 35,000-60,000 BTU forced heat propane unit on FB for $80. My garage is about 450sq ft.

Pro's
  • It heats the garage mostly, definitely something I can live with
Cons
  • Warm close to the unit, but variable as you go farther away (understandably).
  • Have to vent the garage which lets cold air in
  • Uses more propane than I would like

I saw you mention that in your build thread I think. I had a bid on one at auction but have been outbid. I think Ill stick to the 20lb tank and radiant top tank heater for now.

You guys running propane, watch the condensation. I noticed when I was running my propane heater, it created a TON of condensation (a by product of burning propane is water vapor) and it would collect on ALL my tools (including those in a tool box). It works, but if you use it a lot, spray your tools and anything cast (like machine beds/tables) with WD-40 to keep them from rusting.

I made the switch to a permanent, natural gas heater and I keep it on all the time (thermostat stays around 50)...Its SO MUCH BETTER. I realize its a luxury, but I'll never go back to an unheated shop space again. I gladly pay the extra gas charge...my floor is warm, the tools are warm, I don't have condensation issues, no venting issues, etc.

You guys running propane, watch the condensation. I noticed when I was running my propane heater, it created a TON of condensation (a by product of burning propane is water vapor) and it would collect on ALL my tools (including those in a tool box). It works, but if you use it a lot, spray your tools and anything cast (like machine beds/tables) with WD-40 to keep them from rusting.

I made the switch to a permanent, natural gas heater and I keep it on all the time (thermostat stays around 50)...Its SO MUCH BETTER. I realize its a luxury, but I'll never go back to an unheated shop space again. I gladly pay the extra gas charge...my floor is warm, the tools are warm, I don't have condensation issues, no venting issues, etc.

I read your comments somewhere in this thread about the condensation and rusting tools. Is your natural gas heater tied into the natural gas you get from the city line? Or do you have a separate source/tank? I'd like to look into something like this.

I read your comments somewhere in this thread about the condensation and rusting tools. Is your natural gas heater tied into the natural gas you get from the city line? Or do you have a separate source/tank? I'd like to look into something like this.

I tapped into my city source. My old neighbor is a licensed plumber, so he helped my connect it to my meter. I buried the line myself, and ran all the gas pipe in the building. I did a quick calculation on btu usage to see if I needed to increase the meter too. My meter was rated for 300000 btu, and I was using about half that, with a gas furnace, dryer, water heater, and stove. Plenty of capacity for a 60,000 btu heater in the barn.

I've used propane quite a bit and never had an issue with condensation. Our winters are relatively dry though (humidity-wise). When I do run the propane heater, its only for a few hours with a few on/off cycles in between due to me getting too hot.