Anyone have the OME lift on a stock TJ?

Ejforan

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have been looking into this lift for a while now. Everytime I think Ive got exactly what I want down I rethink it. I do know i want the ome 2 inch and rancho rs5000 shocks but have no idea where to start with choosing between heavy or light load or a combo of the two. I have no plans for a tire carrier or heavy bumper but I do fill the jeep often enough. On the front I will be adding a winch as well as a possible dirtworx or warn rockcrawler. If anyone has similar setups

I put the 2933 springs in the front of my tj with a 4cyl, no spare tire no heavy bumpers etc and its a nice height for my 31s. Even with 100lbs on the front bumper it didn’t sag much.

The rear took a 1.75” spring spacer on stock coil to level it out, so maybe get the light load and hope it only gives 2” overall.

I’m on the fence about the ome light rear 2”, don’t want to install and end up with a bunch of rake again with how light my rear is.

My 06 Rubicon came with the OME springs (light) and shocks. I swapped out the shocks for the 5000x. Much better than the OME shocks it came with. I replaced the stock bumpers with heavier aftermarket ones. Around 80-100 lb rear and 50-ish front. Added a front 8,000 lb winch with synthetic line.
New bumpers and winch with the hardtop settled the springs down 3/4" or so. That from stock bumpers and no top. I find the ride to be as close to the same as I can tell. And am very happy with this setup. A heavier spring should give a firmer ride by a tiny bit. I am running 32s and have the spare on the rear door. I personally would not want to have gone with a firmer spring. Your milage may vary. 👍

My 06 Rubicon came with the OME springs (light) and shocks. I swapped out the shocks for the 5000x. Much better than the OME shocks it came with. I replaced the stock bumpers with heavier aftermarket ones. Around 80-100 lb rear and 50-ish front. Added a front 8,000 lb winch with synthetic line.
New bumpers and winch with the hardtop settled the springs down 3/4" or so. That from stock bumpers and no top. I find the ride to be as close to the same as I can tell. And am very happy with this setup. A heavier spring should give a firmer ride by a tiny bit. I am running 32s and have the spare on the rear door. I personally would not want to have gone with a firmer spring. Your milage may vary. 👍
Thanks for the input I am planning on 31s once my tires wear down.

I'm running 933's front, 942's rear. Winch up front with steel cable and stubby minimalist bumpers, no tire carrier and a hard top. Having said that, I would like to have tried 941's for the rear.

I'm planning on the heavy springs front and back. I have an LJ so it's already longer and heavier. I added a heavier bumper to tow my trailer, I'll get a bumper rack for the back to carry luggage or other items if we ever need to take the Jeep with the dogs riding along, I plan on a different front bumper and maybe a winch someday. Worse case is I end up with more lift than the soft springs and a slightly worse ride. But my shocks are original OEM and the springs likely are too, so even if rougher, it will probably be a better ride than what I'm experiencing now.

I'm running 933's front, 942's rear. Winch up front with steel cable and stubby minimalist bumpers, no tire carrier and a hard top. Having said that, I would like to have tried 941's for the rear.
Is there any traction loss in the rear from the 942s? I can always put some extra weight in the back under the rear seat or maybe a little beefier of bumper in the rear. Do you think that would make the difference for yours?

Is there any traction loss in the rear from the 942s? I can always put some extra weight in the back under the rear seat or maybe a little beefier of bumper in the rear. Do you think that would make the difference for yours?

No traction loss per say, but a little stiffer of a ride when there is no weight in the back. I roll pretty light since I daily it, so no back seat, no heavy tire carrier, and narrow tires. The other day I had to get four 60 lb. bags of cement in the back. Adding 240lbs. sure made it ride smoother.

No traction loss per say, but a little stiffer of a ride when there is no weight in the back. I roll pretty light since I daily it, so no back seat, no heavy tire carrier, and narrow tires. The other day I had to get four 60 lb. bags of cement in the back. Adding 240lbs. sure made it ride smoother.
That sounds like it should settle pretty well for me. I use the back seat and will be getting a larger spare and probably a little heavier bumper.

That's my thinking with the softer springs. With just a heavy bumper with a class 3 hitch so I can pull hay wagons and such and a slightly oversized spare the springs are in their sweet zone. If you are upgrading to lifted springs I'm pretty sure OME takes into account you will be upgrading to bigger tires and a better bumper. The heavy springs I think are for those running heavy body armor and are loaded up with tools and spares. This is my thinking having the light springs in. For a normal driver with just a tire upgrade and a bigger bumper they feel pretty spot on. For a hard core heavy trail Jeep I think the heavier springs would be best.

The 2941's have a little less spring rate and are a bit taller to compensate. IMO, you want the tallest spring with the lightest spring rate to achieve the lift height you desire. Other factors, such as how much weight you want to carry factor into the spring choice. I daily my jeep, so I keep it as light as I possibly can 75% of the time. I pull a trailer on occasion, so I opted for the 2942 springs so I wouldn't have a saggy butt. As a result 75% of the time, the ride is a little harsher.

The 2941's have a little less spring rate and are a bit taller to compensate. IMO, you want the tallest spring with the lightest spring rate to achieve the lift height you desire. Other factors, such as how much weight you want to carry factor into the spring choice. I daily my jeep, so I keep it as light as I possibly can 75% of the time. I pull a trailer on occasion, so I opted for the 2942 springs so I wouldn't have a saggy butt. As a result 75% of the time, the ride is a little harsher.
Im thinking that is the way I am going to go. I like to go camping often enough so it should be bareable.

Be prepared to add a small coil spacer up front to level it out, unless you like the factory rake. I used a 3/4" spacer up front.

I put the OME lift with 931 and 942 springs on in May. 4.0 with stock bumpers, no winch. Running 31s with the spare on the stock carrier. Added the .75" spacer in front to level out the rake. Absolutely love the ride.

Far from a scientific observation, but after leaning/sitting my 220lbs on the front bumper with very little sag, I'm confident I could add a winch up front or heavier bumpers front and rear without much sag, if any.

Be prepared to add a small coil spacer up front to level it out, unless you like the factory rake. I used a 3/4" spacer up front.
I have started reading your build thread and am wondering, is your jeep riding at 2.5” now or was it 2.5” plus the extra 3/4 spacers?

I have started reading your build thread and am wondering, is your jeep riding at 2.5” now or was it 2.5” plus the extra 3/4 spacers?

When I purchased my OME lift I got the one with the 10mm spacers. Technically, the OME springs are 2" lift springs. The 10mm spacers give you the advertised 2.5" of lift. I got exactly 2.5" of lift but didn't like the rake it gave, so I removed the rear spacers which leveled it out some. Currently, I have 1" spacers up front, and 3/4" spacers in the rear to net me 3" of lift.

When I purchased my OME lift I got the one with the 10mm spacers. Technically, the OME springs are 2" lift springs. The 10mm spacers give you the advertised 2.5" of lift. I got exactly 2.5" of lift but didn't like the rake it gave, so I removed the rear spacers which leveled it out some. Currently, I have 1" spacers up front, and 3/4" spacers in the rear to net me 3" of lift.
So you must be having some driveline vibes. Did you get them when you added the lift or when u added the spacers if you had vibes.

So you must be having some driveline vibes. Did you get them when you added the lift or when u added the spacers if you had vibes.

Kind of a long drawn out story. When I first installed the lift, I had vibes, so I lowered the t-case skid with the included 0.75" pucks. That cured the vibes. Fast forward several years, I since graduated to 33's, so I re-geared. That re-gear created a whole new slew of problems that pretty much emptied my wallet. If you continue reading thru my build you'll get the gist.