Arizona Anyone have the tools to install round tail lights in Tucson?

C.J. Roberts

TJ Addict
Okay guys, I've decided that I want to go the Round Tail Light route. The lights and such are easy, but a hole saw isn't. Even the cheap ones seem to require a 1/2" drill to power, which I also don't have.
When I get around to doing this, does anybody have the tools I can borrow/ rent?
My place, your place, what ever works.

Thanks.

i really doubt you need a 1/2 drill to cut through a TJ skin. hell i cut holes into the frame with my 3/8 cordless.

The round LED tail lights i installed years ago didn't require cutting a hole, they mounted on the tub surface using the factory mounting bolt holes.

CIMG1018.JPG

The round LED tail lights i installed years ago didn't require cutting a hole, they mounted on the tub surface using the factory mounting bolt holes.

View attachment 131178
I've seen these lights as well as others that don't require a big hole. I just don't care for these, (looks like a smiley face), and I HAVE seen other TJs around town with grommet mount lights. If needed, I could replace them at any Truck Stop for a lot less than the above.
I just figured that maybe somebody here might be able to give me a hand.

Make sure the space behind the passenger side tail light required for inset housings is there. It is on early TJs but not on newer models like my 04 which has the evaporative pump system taking up the entire space. I think your 02 is ok but check it out first. Look inside from underneath through the fiberboard access door.

Make sure the space behind the passenger side tail light required for inset housings is there. It is on early TJs but not on newer models like my 04 which has the evaporative pump system taking up the entire space. I think your 02 is ok but check it out first. Look inside from underneath through the fiberboard access door.
Thanks, Jerry. Will do.

If you have a steady hand, I have an air nibbler that you could use (yeah, I could send it to you).

quite a few of the arbors i find for a 4.5 are 7/16. and with a slight buff of a grinder wheel to the crown portions of those lobes, it should allow it to fit into a 3/8 drill.

A little tip, prior to starting your pilot hole, attach a thicker piece of Sheetmetal, flat-bar, or flats plate with 3 or 4 screws to the tub where the pilot bit will be centered, this will keep the pilot bit from wobbling the pilot hole out and making your hole too big. Get a firm two handed grip on the drill and drill straight and just fast enough that you don’t stall the cutter. Also it doesn’t hurt to put multiple layers of protection tape on your work just in case. Sand or file the edges of the hole smooth and primer it, I used cold galvanizing paint and a sponge brush but primer is fine. Wear a face shield.