Washington Anyone in Washington? I need to try on 33s and / or 35s

Vasq

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Over the next month I will be finishing up my major overhaul/upgrade process and will have more lift and clearance and travel. I'm stoked!

However, I currently am running 32x11.5 tires and cannot figure out if I should jump to 33s or 35s. Just wanted to reach out and see if anyone in Snohomish county (or neighboring county) has any mounted 33/35 in tires they wouldn't mind letting me test fit in their driveway/road/whatever. I don't need to drive anyplace on them and I probably only need to test fit them on one side of the jeep. just want to gauge how much space I'll have.
I can bring beer as a persuasion :cool:

I've got a metalcloak 3.5" kit, and a 1" BL. I tried simply measuring with a tape but I have been told several times that, that isn't very accurate since all tires have a different "actual" diameter and that depending on air pressure, vehicle weight, etc. - tires are expensive and I'd prefer not to have regrets. Now if there IS a way for me to get an accurate idea of what ill be dealing with, then I'm all ears!

Too bad you're so far away from me, but I'm running 3" lift with 35-12.5x15 Cooper discover pro sst with no issues. but I also have hiline flares.

Reactions: Vasq
Too bad you're so far away from me, but I'm running 3" lift with 35-12.5x15 Cooper discover pro sst with no issues. but I also have hiline flares.
How far is "far away" if you don't mind me asking. :D

By the time i get this done, I might be too excited and just want to drive it lots haha

What are your re-gearing plans? 33's on that lift looks pretty sweet! Most tires run 1/2" smaller than advertised.

What are your re-gearing plans? 33's on that lift looks pretty sweet! Most tires run 1/2" smaller than advertised.
I plan to regear to 4.88, and i really hope the 33's fit good. I know having room for uptravel is important, but i don't do a lot of "extreme" off roading so I'm hoping it sits well. 35's would be great too but that opens up a whole other can of worms for upgrades (brakes, steering, shafts, etc) that I can't afford right away. And half-assing isn't how i want to do anything. I'd rather just buy the best, once, and be done with that :cool:

Last edited:
I plan to regear to 4.88, and i really hope the 33's fit good. I know having room for uptravel is important, but i don't do a lot of "extreme" off roading so I'm hoping it sits well. 35's would be great too but that opens up a whole other can of worms for upgrades (brakes, steering, shafts, etc) that I can't afford right away. And half-assing isn't how i want to do anything. I'd rather just but the best, once, and be done with that :cool:

Well, you know what mine looks like with 3" of lift and 33's. If I can run the Rubicon with that setup, you should be able to handle 99% of anything you want to point it at. 35's look good on a LJ with a 4" lift, but look a little fat on a TJ, IMO.

Well, you know what mine looks like with 3" of lift and 33's. If I can run the Rubicon with that setup, you should be able to handle 99% of anything you want to point it at. 35's look good on a LJ with a 4" lift, but look a little fat on a TJ, IMO.
I do like the way yours looks. I'll run my 32's into the ground a little more and let my new springs settle until i need new tires, then I'll look at the size difference more in depth. 35's are my "end all" tire size that i've wanted since i bought the jeep so if they look like they'll fit real nice, i might start the front brake upgrade. probably the black magic 15" big brake kit, then re-gear, then steering, then shafts. and finally tires.
actually i might just start those things as i have funding since actually buying the stuff is the only downside.

I know this isn't an accurate way to tell. But what do you think I can fit?

IMG_5169.jpg IMG_5170.jpg

Almost all my friends ran 35’s with 4” lifts, if I had a set I’d let ya test fit them but most of us are now on 37”s now usually all we would do is trim the flairs just a bit up front, but the tears were mostly ok if I remember correctly.

I plan to regear to 4.88, and i really hope the 33's fit good. I know having room for uptravel is important, but i don't do a lot of "extreme" off roading so I'm hoping it sits well. 35's would be great too but that opens up a whole other can of worms for upgrades (brakes, steering, shafts, etc) that I can't afford right away. And half-assing isn't how i want to do anything. I'd rather just but the best, once, and be done with that :cool:
You can build to 33’s and then on to 35’s step by step. Takes more time but it’s a logical progression. If you end up liking 33’s just stop there.

I do like the way yours looks. I'll run my 32's into the ground a little more and let my new springs settle until i need new tires, then I'll look at the size difference more in depth. 35's are my "end all" tire size that i've wanted since i bought the jeep so if they look like they'll fit real nice, i might start the front brake upgrade. probably the black magic 15" big brake kit, then re-gear, then steering, then shafts. and finally tires.
actually i might just start those things as i have funding since actually buying the stuff is the only downside.
If my final tire size was 35’s, I’d be looking at 17” wheels and the 17” BBK.

You can build to 33’s and then on to 35’s step by step. Takes more time but it’s a logical progression. If you end up liking 33’s just stop there.
If my final tire size was 35’s, I’d be looking at 17” wheels and the 17” BBK.
Yeah I definitely think that will be my plan. And in all reality, I'll Probably re-gear to 4.88's and then do shafts, then steering. then I'll see how the 33's work out for me and evaluate from there.

Reactions: JMT
Yeah I definitely think that will be my plan. And in all reality, I'll Probably re-gear to 4.88's and then do shafts, then steering. then I'll see how the 33's work out for me and evaluate from there.
I know having room for uptravel is important, but i don't do a lot of "extreme" off-roading
Yet 🤣

If you go to 35’s that’s a very serious rig, done right.

Do you have a TT yet? Just a thought. TT and 33’s.

You’re at 4.5” so I can see going either way. Will 4.88’s be good for either tire size

If you go ahead and get shafts you might as well go to 35’s. Just doesn’t sound like you need it. Only hard decision now is what size BBK. If I were staying on 33’s I’d want 15’s, for 35’s 17’s. I’m still a bit torn on that issue though. I’m possibly leaning toward 17’s on a 33 too. Tires are just more expensive

Yet 🤣

If you go to 35’s that’s a very serious rig, done right.

Do you have a TT yet? Just a thought. TT and 33’s.

You’re at 4.5” so I can see going either way. Will 4.88’s be good for either tire size

If you go ahead and get shafts you might as well go to 35’s. Just doesn’t sound like you need it. Only hard decision now is what size BBK. If I were staying on 33’s I’d want 15’s, for 35’s 17’s. I’m still a bit torn on that issue though. I’m possibly leaning toward 17’s on a 33 too. Tires are just more expensive
Yeah actually I do haha. I installed my new 3.5" suspension, 1" BL, rokmen skid, super short sye. just waiting on the rear output yoke for the sye since they sent me the wrong one. then i'll order drivelines and be in business. My other thought was to possibly drop to some smaller springs if I think 35's will be too much. Hard to gauge all of this since I haven't even driven this sucka yet. And I liked the 4.88's because they should work well for 33 or 35

Hey @Vasq , I am in the Silver Lake area. I have 33x12.5x15 Cooper Discoverer AT3s. We could try to meet up next week, if you're game.

View attachment 119946

View attachment 119947

I am definitely down! next week won't work however. I called JB Conversions today and they told me that the yokes will be in from the machine shop in two days and as soon as they're in, they will ship it out to me. once i get it, i will install in on my transfer case, get it back installed, measure for my drive lines, get those on order. once those are installed, i'll get my drive line angle dialed in and i'll be in business!
THEN, i will absolutely take you up on that offer.

Just out of curiosity, how much lift do you have with those 33s?

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, how much lift do you have with those 33s?

Just let me know when you're ready. If the stars and planets align, I may have the front and rear axles torn apart by the time you're put back together and the wheels will be off the TJ anyway.

Regarding the lift, I am not really sure. Other than a few minor things, my TJ is still as I bought it back in May. FWIW, when I measure from the base of the front spring to the top, I get 16". It looks like there is a spacer at the top as well. Based on those things, I am guessing it's 3.5 - 4" which seems high, TBH.

I didn't measure the rear springs. There is about 6" from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender in the front and the rear is about 5", top of tire to fender.

20191015_070429.jpg

Just let me know when you're ready. If the stars and planets align, I may have the front and rear axles torn apart by the time you're put back together and the wheels will be off the TJ anyway.

Regarding the lift, I am not really sure. Other than a few minor things, my TJ is still as I bought it back in May. FWIW, when I measure from the base of the front spring to the top, I get 16". It looks like there is a spacer at the top as well. Based on those things, I am guessing it's 3.5 - 4" which seems high, TBH.

I didn't measure the rear springs. There is about 6" from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender in the front and the rear is about 5", top of tire to fender.

View attachment 119980
Thanks! I'll measure mine when I get home today just out of curiosity, see how close we are roughly.

Reactions: AustinJeepTJ