Anyone install a skid plate on their rear Dana 44 differential?

I'd be interested to know if the newer AEV JK parts fit as well.
The Rancho ones look ok, but I don't want red and I'm not sure how I feel about installing it to the actual Diff Cover.

It looks like the Rugged Ridge fits: Post #47
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/axemans-build-thread.35387/page-3#post-672383
The Rancho 6252B is the black version. My problem was the Rancho was $180, only provided a slide plate under the pumpkin, and appeared to decrease ground clearance. I went with the Rugged Ridge JK slider because it covers all the to protect the yoke and was $150, and covers around the back of the diff also. Downside was that it only works with factory covers, so I had to remove the Alloy cover I installed a week earlier.

Reactions: RubiconRic
I sent Rancho an email asking if their skid plate would work with the TeraFlex Diff Cover.

"I’m sorry RS6252B – Rear Differential Glide Plate probably would not work with a Teraflex Diff Cover."

Ive been talking to a machinist about building more of these lower diff guards for testing. Ive noticed on a 14 bolt YJ with a stock cover, the rocks tend to bend the diff cover back and will eventually lead it to leaking.

Waiting to until the weather warms up a bit to press the tubes out of a 44 and a 30 so he can have a little more to work with. I cant find CAD files for a 30 out there anywhere.
AAE040D6-3DDF-4F04-817B-FE2E14C64226.jpeg
FC9C3FBF-E8C0-45D8-A423-428CCCDACBC7.jpeg
FDBBBA74-8121-4E8F-B902-6600E5E2E349.jpeg

Reactions: 5632
Ive been talking to a machinist about building more of these lower diff guards for testing. Ive noticed on a 14 bolt YJ with a stock cover, the rocks tend to bend the diff cover back and will eventually lead it to leaking.

Waiting to until the weather warms up a bit to press the tubes out of a 44 and a 30 so he can have a little more to work with. I cant find CAD files for a 30 out there anywhere.
View attachment 210876View attachment 210874View attachment 210875
JV would would ruin those is pretty short order. They would work better out there is the lower piece stuck back to even with the bolted piece and then was welded to the diff.

JV would would ruin those is pretty short order. They would work better out there is the lower piece stuck back to even with the bolted piece and then was welded to the diff.
My intial thought is that it could benefit from an added angle in the lower section to eliminate the harsh 90 degree angle. This may lead to a loss more ground clearance.

Reactions: 5632
The Rancho ones look ok, but I don't want red and I'm not sure how I feel about installing it to the actual Diff Cover.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/axemans-build-thread.35387/page-3#post-672383
AEV took over the design from Nth Degree and they did produce them for TJs for some time (I have one). I would image the one for the JK would fit with a little bit of trimming.

i made up a couple brackets to weld onto the bottom of my rear axle tubes to support an underlay structure. i've not devoted much time to it, but would like to come up with something. not so much back and up the diff face but forward to protect that joint.

@Tldelaney delaney
Do you have stock diff covers? It looks like that one bolts up to the diff. Do you think a thicker cover will throw off the alignment of the U-Bolt?
Yeah stock cover. Ill take a look at the teraflex cover and let you know what i think. Do you have a measurement for how much the hump protudes past the flat on cover and from lip to furthest point of cover?

Last edited:

[URL]https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/axemans-build-thread.35387/page-3#post-672383[/URL]

Old thread, but curious if anyone has tried to fit the JK nth degree (AEV) one to a TJ rear 44 yet? Debating trying, but would be great if anyone has tried it before!

Go with the JK rear dana 44 skid plate from rough country. Fits right up. I am sure AEV JK skid will work as well but this is half the price.

View attachment 211005

View attachment 211006

sho-nuf
fits perfectly on my 04 TJ. After spending a few fun days on the rubicon, thought I'd be safe than sorry. painted to match accents on the topside tho you can't see this unless i'm upside down.

20230922_144943.jpg

Reactions: PNW_LJ and Irun