Anyone install hood vents?

So I am one of these unlucky people who has heat buildup issues in the engine bay. It is not overheating, staying consistently under 215 or 220, but the hood become to hot too touch. Today I have burned my fingers while opening the hood. While I am driving above 30MPH, the engine temperatures are lower, never crossing 210.
I do have a bad case of heat soak and i usually pop the hood open when i stop for more than couple of minutes and shut down the engine, like going for groceries. It does look weird that I have to popup the hood, but it works and completely eliminates the heat soak.
I did buy the design engineering kit, but it did not eliminate the heat soak issue completely.
I am Houston area, so it is really hot here, maybe this explains the heat buildup issues.
I have ordered my Poison Spyder louver, and plan to install it soon.

That sounds excessive … even in my experience with the 4.0 here in the Phoenix desert.

After a drive one night, pull in the garage and open the hood as soon as you can and see if your pre cats are glowing. If they’re clogged, you’ll have some excessive heat problems

Last edited:
That sounds excessive … even in my experience with the 4.0 here in the Phoenix desert.

After a drive one night, pull in the garage and open the hood as soon as you can and see if your pre cats are glowing. If they’re flogged, you’ll have some excessive heat problems

Will check and let you know. Good point.
BTW, who is flogging the cats? Should I look for some piece of wire on front driveshaft? Just kidding. I really hope that my cats are not clogged.

Ok, so, looked underneath at the cats in relative darkness, and I could definitely differentiate their color from everything else. Not like glowing like sun, but was detectable.
How bad it impacts the engine operation?

Yea, they give off a faint glow… they’re clogged… I don’t think there is any circumstance where that is acceptable. Unless you were racing the nurburgring. We can poll the audience.

The only other reason is if ignition and/or valve timing is wayyy off, or excess fuel is being dumped due to bad injectors… but it would run like crap.

Best thing would be to remove the cat pipe and take a look.

Yea, they give off a faint glow… they’re clogged… I don’t think there is any circumstance where that is acceptable. Unless you were racing the nurburgring. We can poll the audience.

The only other reason is if ignition and/or valve timing is wayyy off, or excess fuel is being dumped due to bad injectors… but it would run like crap.

Best thing would be to remove the cat pipe and take a look.

The engine actually runs fine. I have replaced the plugs, the IAC and the engine in general runs fine. The only symptom that bothers me is the crazy levels of heat under the hood. It is burning hot after a drive.
I will take a note to check the cats. Maybe a backpressure test or simply take it to exhaust shop.

The engine actually runs fine. I have replaced the plugs, the IAC and the engine in general runs fine. The only symptom that bothers me is the crazy levels of heat under the hood. It is burning hot after a drive.
I will take a note to check the cats. Maybe a backpressure test or simply take it to exhaust shop.

I had one Jeep make a rattle with glowing cats… and another one I couldn’t tell anything was wrong, opened the hood after work and saw them glowing. Both of which never produced codes or any negative performance (that I could tell)

Attachments

• MotoBuilt Hood Vents_-_Assembly_Instructions.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 42
These are the worst mod the prior owner did to my Jeep. Enjoy water in your engine compartment when you install them. I'm removing them and putting a solid aluminum plate over the hole until I get a new hood.

No reason to have them if you leave your cooling system stock and maintain your Jeep.

I am going to install hood scoop from "[email protected]" and the pictured rear vents from a Toyota FJ40.

IMG_0542.jpg

Reactions: maz
Lol, same. I do dislike mine because GR did a bad job with however they painted it. But not enough to do anything about it yet.

The front edge of mine (also Genright) lost all its powdercoat. I rattle canned it with my black rustoleum and most would never know.

Reactions: rasband