Anyone install hood vents?

068FB74E-BD7A-4073-AB46-A0D133C74B1C.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Irun and Alex01
I can see Oman doing this. He has been around for a LONG time. Heck I remember him from back in the JeepUnlimted days. He had some interesting ideas and had great stories.

I think this was part of the reason why AEV came up with the hood that they offered with the vent right above the radiator.

Right above the radiator is one of the spots where it is safe to put a vent, according to my experiments.

Also, no disrespect but I'm calling BS.
To say that jeep spent an extra dime for an engineer to design proper airflow through the engine bay, especially on a wrangler is to stretch the imagination too far. I picture management saying "Put a shroud on it. Does it stay below 210*? Ship it out." On a Porsche? Maybe. On a Ferrari? Probably. Not a wrangler.

That said, I agree that improperly messing with things, you could make things worse.

I do understand where you are coming from but you are imagining perhaps a special facility or a special program to do this? That is not how it works. The cars have been around for a while and there are proven, tested ways of doing things. This stuff is taught at schools. Engineers stick to them and examine other approaches more deeply only when it is necessary. For example with cooling... You have the air enter the bay in the nose part, flow through the entire engine bay and exit at the back of the engine. It works! You want to cut vents and cool better? Examine what your changes will do. Ferrari or Porsche might have deep research due to necessity with their high power engines, but that doesn't mean that Chrysler engineers don't think about this or just design out of the blue.

Cheers

Right above the radiator is one of the spots where it is safe to put a vent, according to my experiments.

Okay are there other spots where it is OK to install vents on the hood of a TJ? I'd be interested in seeing what your results would be with a V-8 TJ...… Not scientific but part of the reason why I put my vents where I did was to try and help get rid of the heat from the headers.
Finalwiring2[1].jpg
IMGP0888.JPG

Reactions: DrDmoney
Just as a side note I enjoy these discussions like this where people are sharing information and no one is getting butt hurt or pissed about some comment that may have been taken incorrectly. Sharing information and being able to discuss it like adults is one of the reasons I choose to be on here over other forums.

Can you maybe share a little more about how you did your testing and explain why items are needed to do it so once I have my TJ running again I might be able to do these with my V-8 and see what difference it make in your results.

Just as a side note I enjoy these discussions like this where people are sharing information and no one is getting butt hurt or pissed about some comment that may have been taken incorrectly. Sharing information and being able to discuss it like adults is one of the reasons I choose to be on here over other forums.

Can you maybe share a little more about how you did your testing and explain why items are needed to do it so once I have my TJ running again I might be able to do these with my V-8 and see what difference it make in your results.

The easiest way to see exactly what happens with the heat is to drive it, immediately stop and then take a picture with a FLIR camera.

You can see the whole heat distribution of course. Once the pictures were taken, I drilled a vent right above the air intake and installed a scoop, to funnel the cold air into it. Drove, stopped, took pictures. The patter changed. The vent appeared very hot with the immediate area around it much cooler, but... The area further down, closer to the firewall was considerably hotter. then I drilled in more places, and took more pictures, eventually ending up with a completely messed up image with really cool and much hotter spots, spotty dotty... Replaced the hood and started again. Drilled over the radiator instead, discovering that that spot did not interrupt the overall flow but instead helped dissipate the heat from the radiator immediately out. Left it that way and was happy until the Jeep was replaced with another one.

My friend, who owns a Toyota Tacoma wanted to play with his vehicle as well and the first thing we did is we drilled the fake air scoop on the hood! Boom! The truck started overheating when idling. By the way, the same thing happened to my Jeep with only the air scoop over the air intake area.

Cheers.

Reactions: Wildman
I don't think that putting louvers in messes up the brick-like aerodynamics any more than lifting, installing a winch, adding extra lighting, oversize tires, engine skids , stingers, bull bars, and winch guards. I do know that after shut down or crawling down the trail I can see the hot air coming out of the louver, now whether that's good or bad who’s to say. I’m theorizing that dissipating the heat quicker is better than not and if I’m wrong , I did it for looks.

I want to see a pic of that hood, with the holes everywhere. That must have looked pretty funny.
Pics or didn't happen.

• Haha
I want to see a pic of that hood, with the holes everywhere. That must have looked pretty funny.
Pics or didn't happen.

This was years back, if I come across them, I will post them. However, this is the second time you are trying to call me a lier. It seems to me that your interest is not the pictures but finding a way to insult me. I have no reason to bullshit or misdirect anyone here. if I choose to comment, I do it with outmost respect, unlike you.

@Wildman, I searched for approximate dates I owned my other Jeep and found a picture with the first air scoop I cut :). You seem to be genuinely interested in the information, so i will post it for you.
20170616_172510.jpg

@Wildman, I searched for approximate dates I owned my other Jeep and found a picture with the first air scoop I cut :). You seem to be genuinely interested in the information, so i will post it for you.

I am very interested just to have a better understanding of what is going on under the hood. I made a lot of mistakes with my last attempt at building my TJ so as I redo some of those issues right now I would like to try and do even better if I can. Stuffin a V-8 under the hood I'm sure has added a ton of heat in ways Jeep never planned.
I'm still lookin at getting my headers ceramic coated to try and help some with that heat.

I'm interested too.

Did that scoop lower your IAT's?

Where did you get that little scoop?

Last edited:
This is how the normal engine bay looks after it gets fully hot with no cuts in the hood. I was searching for all the infrared images I took back in 2016/2017 but so far only this small one came up.

View attachment 148245

Haha, just came across one of my dog :)
View attachment 148246
Cool pictures. Maybe once my Jeep comes out of hibernation I’ll pull out my Flir rifle scope and take a peek to see if there are any differences.

Did some testing today, my passenger side is a CAI and the air was being pulled in on the driver side air from the inside was clearly coming out. At 28 seconds the test was interrupted by some idiot that runs a stop sign and then decides to stop in the roadway partially blocking the lane. SMH it didn’t help that there was a vehicle in the oncoming lane at the same time.

Attachments

• IMG_0280.MOV
    28.9 MB
I did not do anything applying science, I just wanted to let the hot air escape when the rig stopped moving. Necessary? Surely not, but the hood was blisteringly hot. The vents helped immensely. I also liked the looks as well. I did not cut out the blanks, I cut holes instead. Stronger? Maybe? Not relevant, easier and desired result attained. Changing my entire exhaust back to stock garnered the largest reduction in heat.
IMG_3552.JPG

I plan to vent my hood about 3 inches behind the radiator. The lowest pressure on a hood is almost always around 1/3 of the way back on the hood. Another part of the plan is to encourage air to go through the radiator and not around it. This will increase the pressure in front of the radiator and and reduce the pressure behind radiator. I would like to convert to a PWM controlled electric fan at some point, maybe controlled by an MS1 I have laying around. I don't know if the 20"x8" hood vent will help with heat soak at start up on a hot day. If not I'll add vent towards the back of the hood.