Anyone install hood vents?

I’m unable to see pics in your attachments
- Please resend pic of the heat exchanger,
And it’s location , unless you have a copyright on it
Hahaha
Great idea , hats off 👍🏿
Pictures work here.

There use to be a kit for installing a heat exchanger onto your rig. Really like the idea as it would be nice after a long day on a dusty trail just to rinse off.

https://www.hotcampshowers.com/vehicle_mounted_shower
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...9F74371EB610A83338289F74371EB610A83&FORM=VIRE
There use to be some write-ups on a few 4x4 sights of how to build your own.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/gener...;-board-unlimited-hot-water-shower-trail.html
I’m unable to see pics in your attachments
- Please resend pic of the heat exchanger,
And it’s location , unless you have a copyright on it
Hahaha
Great idea , hats off 👍🏿

I wish I would have taken pictures as I installed it. I used a 10 plate heat exchanger mounted under the battery. I bought the braided hose from West Marine as I wanted hose that could withstand the temps. Right now I have my pump connected alligator clamps but I may mount it. I filled a ice chest with water to simulate a lake water source to do the testing. During the first few tests the water actually to HOT so I had to add a mixing valve to add cold water and now works great. I mount my connection points under the hood.

You can use this link for some info also

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/gener...;-board-unlimited-hot-water-shower-trail.html
IMG_5372.jpg

IMG_5377.jpg

IMG_2705.jpg

IMG_2703.jpg

IMG_2713.jpg

Then my son and nephew took the jeep to the river on the Rubicon and removed the mixing valve, then took a tarp and made a pool out of it. Then pumped cold water from the river through the system and had hot water filling the pool and making it into a Hot Tub. It did fill up higher than this picture shows. You should have the looks we got from everyone :)

IMG_3384.jpg

Last edited:
Installed mine (off of a grand Cherokee) mainly for looks but they are also functional
Got a part number or source? those are actually good looking compared to the bent metal ones.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Any thoughts on air intake covers? Previous owner installed this cover, but I'm not sure if it is more of a hindrance and a help. I'm constantly having to stick my hand in there to pull out leaves, twigs, etc. I can't help but to think that all that build up in there must choke off the air supply.
IMG_4798.jpg

I had a cowl vent on my other jeep. My takeaways are:
1) it was supposed to help re-direct airflow into the vent- it didn't.
2) it was supposed to help keep debris out of the vent- it didn't (in fact, it made cleaning it even worse. It's held on by double-sided sticky tape).
3) it may help keep water out on deeper water crossings- I never tried.

I had a cowl vent on my other jeep. My takeaways are:
1) it was supposed to help re-direct airflow into the vent- it didn't.
2) it was supposed to help keep debris out of the vent- it didn't (in fact, it made cleaning it even worse. It's held on by double-sided sticky tape).
3) it may help keep water out on deeper water crossings- I never tried.
It seems we have the same experience and conclusion. Thanks very much, @dbbd1

Im fighting a little overheating and hot engine bay, mostly due to an aftermarket radiator the first shop stuck in my Jeep and the second shop left in place despite my wanting it changed for a factory part they claimed it looked good...not. I just picked up a new radiator from the stealer-ship that is going in soon, in the meantime I also installed a set of Eoctric Louvers off Amazon for $103 they look very much like the poison spider. Instillation was straight forward and took me 4 or 5 hours taking my time following all the suggested steps. The operating temp runs around 5 to 10 degrees cooler helping the crappy aftermarket radiator with air flow and the engine bay is staying cool after shut down so all in all I’m pleased with both function and how they look on my Jeep. The quality seems good as well, the sheetmetal louvers seeming equal to the factory sheetmetal and the black powder coat looks good now at least.

Had my doubts it would work for the price but I did buy a cheep $27 air nibbler while at harbor freight, surprisingly it went through the hood sheetmetal like butter, this made cutting out the vent holes a breeze.

76C84153-2ED6-42AD-9F16-15A31E93324B.jpeg
2DDDA44F-4330-4DEA-8271-34A9DFB48DCC.jpeg
6A100BA3-5316-4F49-85BA-35C14AF921DB.jpeg
62E516BD-4151-48AD-AB0F-7902CBCA8E1C.jpeg
05F5DF10-260D-4E90-A616-9457AE25CCAB.jpeg
3E1DE8A8-3E34-44C6-888B-DFDEC675FFB7.jpeg
49562178-BCED-4471-BB67-6A97CAFEA95B.jpeg
9EEED784-E988-43A6-9A91-CDBD6340C65A.jpeg
2F0D5A00-175A-409C-A769-AD40B264BD1F.jpeg
E7384935-FDBA-4FFA-8812-9831FA426FBF.jpeg
685D04E6-721D-4336-B5CD-F43C7EB096DA.jpeg

Something no one directly mentioned is the airflow … yes this will cool down the under hood temperatures but also help in radiator cooling. Not noticeable in water temperature but the high pressure in front of the radiator will flow up to the louver, which is a low pressure spot, this SHOULD flow more than factory which flows into the engine bay which is high pressure.

Greater differential of pressure = more flow … more flow through an exchanger = more heat removed … win win.

Reactions: maz and Brianj5600
Wondering if anyone has installed hood vents on their Jeep.
I know it is said that the cooling system is adequate on our TJ's but when I open the hood after driving it's hotter than hell under there. The engine may be OK but what about all the other stuff under the hood? Wouldn't some venting help?

When I restart my Jeep after running into a store (not running A/C) it runs rough for maybe 10 or 20 seconds then smoothes out. I performed the service bulletin and wrapped #3 injector as well as #2 and #3. I have found that running non-ethanol fuel helps. The temp gauge stays right at 210 maybe creeps up a little on my well maintained 75,000 mile 04 TJR and I recently replaced the coolant. One flush with distilled water ran clean. Don't mean to ramble just trying to give all the info.

Have you had to pay for repairs to the stores you’ve run into? Maybe you have radiator damage from that!

• Face Palm
Reactions: DrDmoney
So I am one of these unlucky people who has heat buildup issues in the engine bay. It is not overheating, staying consistently under 215 or 220, but the hood become to hot too touch. Today I have burned my fingers while opening the hood. While I am driving above 30MPH, the engine temperatures are lower, never crossing 210.
I do have a bad case of heat soak and i usually pop the hood open when i stop for more than couple of minutes and shut down the engine, like going for groceries. It does look weird that I have to popup the hood, but it works and completely eliminates the heat soak.
I did buy the design engineering kit, but it did not eliminate the heat soak issue completely.
I am Houston area, so it is really hot here, maybe this explains the heat buildup issues.
I have ordered my Poison Spyder louver, and plan to install it soon.

Reactions: Paparock1