Anyone into guns?

Alex M.

Supporting Member
Anyone into guns? I would expect yes since this is a Jeep forum. Curious to know what you guys have!

Don't know if I'm "into guns" per se. I do some interesting things with different firearms though. I reload, cast and paper patch. Search on StG58 and you'll discover one of my favorite rifles.

I've got a HK MK23.

Not the most practical, but definitely awesome!

I have a few. Most of my family in into guns so naturally so am I. I think they are pretty cool thing to collect as well. This is a nice forum.

Has anyone bought, or considered buying, a pistol / rifle combination specifically for use in the Jeep?

Good question! I'd be curious where you could even mount a rifle in the TJ, being as small as it is.

Good question! I'd be curious where you could even mount a rifle in the TJ, being as small as it is.
That is the question, isn't it. Where to put the long gun.

Here's my solution. The TJ has about 43" of usable space next to the upright for the sport bar behind the seats. It's tight though, not a lot of room for magazines to stick out, scopes etc. I've decided to use a custom mount similar to what the police use for their long guns. A padded butt bucket and a padded barrel clamp. I've decided on purchasing a stainless Rossi M92 with a 20" barrel in 45 Colt to go in the mount. Fits perfectly, weather resistant, doesn't freak out the liberals and the round and rifle have been effective since 1873 or so. For a side arm, I've selected a stainless Ruger Redhawk in 45 Colt. Simple, strong, and effective. That's mounted in a cross draw holster on my weak side. It doesn't interfere with the seat belts carried that way, and is easily accessible both in and out of the Jeep. Both will use the same loads, since I reload and can work up a load that functions well in both. Both can use the same cleaning pull through. (Best re-invention ever, the bore snake.) A small bottle of solvent, a small bottle of oil and a box or two of cartridges and I'm good to go.

Reactions: Chris
That is the question, isn't it. Where to put the long gun.

Here's my solution. The TJ has about 43" of usable space next to the upright for the sport bar behind the seats. It's tight though, not a lot of room for magazines to stick out, scopes etc. I've decided to use a custom mount similar to what the police use for their long guns. A padded butt bucket and a padded barrel clamp. I've decided on purchasing a stainless Rossi M92 with a 20" barrel in 45 Colt to go in the mount. Fits perfectly, weather resistant, doesn't freak out the liberals and the round and rifle have been effective since 1873 or so. For a side arm, I've selected a stainless Ruger Redhawk in 45 Colt. Simple, strong, and effective. That's mounted in a cross draw holster on my weak side. It doesn't interfere with the seat belts carried that way, and is easily accessible both in and out of the Jeep. Both will use the same loads, since I reload and can work up a load that functions well in both. Both can use the same cleaning pull through. (Best re-invention ever, the bore snake.) A small bottle of solvent, a small bottle of oil and a box or two of cartridges and I'm good to go.

That's a brilliant idea, wish I had thought of this! I would love to see some pictures since I'm in the market for a nice rifle (still not sure what I should get).

Post some pictures if you ever get a chance, this sounds great!

Here's the Rossi M92:
R92-57018.jpg

Here's the Ruger Redhawk:
5027.jpg

They are both strong, well constructed firearms. The only caveat is that the Redhawk is a big revolver and you kinda need big hands for it to fit properly. Still, there is nothing there to freak out our more dependent friends and neighbors. Hardly anyone freaks out over "Cowboy Guns". But they have been getting the job done for over 130 years.

Reactions: Scott B.
Here's the Rossi M92:
View attachment 180

Here's the Ruger Redhawk:
View attachment 181

They are both strong, well constructed firearms. The only caveat is that the Redhawk is a big revolver and you kinda need big hands for it to fit properly. Still, there is nothing there to freak out our more dependent friends and neighbors. Hardly anyone freaks out over "Cowboy Guns". But they have been getting the job done for over 130 years.

Oh no, I meant that I wanted to see pictures of them mounted in your Jeep!

But still, I actually like cowboy guns. Call me old school but I think a six shooter is pretty darn awesome!

Sorry Chris, no pictures of the mount yet. Still fabbing that up. I've got to get the Rossi in hand so I know what dimensions I'm working with. I could find pictures of the police mount and note the changes though. Would that help?

I've come to appreciate the lever action rifle. Ever tried to reload a rifle when you're shooting? You have to dump a magazine and whatever ammo is left in it and slap in another. Bolt guns are worse yet. It's pretty hard to do, and mighty awkward. Very easy with a lever gun. Don't even have to look at what you're doing once you have some practice in. That one starts out with 10 rounds in the magazine, and you can reload on the fly. What's not to like? The 45 Colt can be loaded to commercial 45-70 load power if you have a strong gun to shoot it in. The lead costs me nothing. People leave it laying around everywhere they shoot. Powder and primers are cheap in the grand scheme of things and the brass lasts forever it seems if you get good brass to start with.

I can even reload on the trail. Everything I need will fit into a kids shoe box.

Last edited:
Sorry Chris, no pictures of the mount yet. Still fabbing that up. I've got to get the Rossi in hand so I know what dimensions I'm working with. I could find pictures of the police mount and note the changes though. Would that help?

I've come to appreciate the lever action rifle. Ever tried to reload a rifle when you're shooting? You have to dump a magazine and whatever ammo is left in it and slap in another. Bolt guns are worse yet. It's pretty hard to do, and mighty awkward. Very easy with a lever gun. Don't even have to look at what you're doing once you have some practice in. That one starts out with 10 rounds in the magazine, and you can reload on the fly. What's not to like? The 45 Colt can be loaded to commercial 45-70 load power if you have a strong gun to shoot it in. The lead costs me nothing. People leave it laying around everywhere they shoot. Powder and primers are cheap in the grand scheme of things and the brass lasts forever it seems if you get good brass to start with.

I can even reload on the trail. Everything I need will fit into a kids shoe box.

I used to be in the Army (11 Bravo) stationed up at Fort Lewis, Washington. So yes, believe me when I say I know what it's like to have to reload a rifle when shooting. I've never actually had the chance to fire a lever action rifle believe it or not. Sounds like it's something I might enjoy!

Sounds like I need to get my hands on one to try out!

I was in the Navy decades ago, the Gunner's Mates did the loading. Youngest Daughter is an officer up at Ft. Lewis right now with 1st Group. (Sorry, had to brag a little) Let me get this thing in hand, and then we can hook up to do a little ridge running and a little shooting. Mess about with it, and you will see what I mean about lever guns. Even an old beater 30-30 lever gun is a blast, and very effective.

I'm 32 now, my stint in the Army was when I was much younger (my earl 20s). I still remember it well though... I always tell people it felt like I was on one big, long camping trip the entire time.

Sounds like a plan to me! I'm a big fan of old westerns, probably part of the reason I like the six shooters and the lever guns (even though I have yet to shoot one).

I always wanted a 44 magnum just like Dirty Hairy. Probably an impractical gun, but how cool would that be? Haha!

To be honest, I've only got a Crosman Air Pistol. I've always been a supporter of the 2nd Amendment but I do think we need tighter gun control. I've had about all the handling and use of weapons I care to participate in. Never felt the need since retiring in 1985.

...aaaand we seem to have strayed into a subject even more controversial than hi-lift jacks. Please define optimum gun control for me.

There's no such thing, I shouldn't have even strayed off topic.

But yes, there's no such thing as optimum gun control. You can require stricter background checks which won't solve much. You can limit gun sales, require mental health checks, etc... I don't think any of this solves anything. However, we all like to say there should be some sort of gun control just to say it, when in reality I truly believe there's nothing that can be done about it.

I don't think the gun violence we have here in the U.S. is about the ability to legally own a gun. I personally believe the issue is a much deeper rooted problem pertaining to the culture we live in.

Anyways, sorry to go off topic!

No issues Chris. It's just one of those subjects that usually goes nowhere fast. People have strong feelings on the subject, and there is usually no way to influence their opinions in a positive way. I've done a ton of research and reading around this. You REALLY don't want to get me started.