Anyone know if a muffler should hold for a smoke test?

Vtx531

TJ Addict
I recently bought a smoke test machine for work on another vehicle. I stuck it in my TJ exhaust (because why not) and there was a lot of smoke escaping at all the muffler seams, front and back, where the muffler is pressed together.

Muffler is Walker SS Quiet Flow. It doesnt sound loud, looks to be in good shape. Less than 6 years old and I hardly have driven it and not really any winter salt driving.

It has a lifetime warranty but just wondering if a new one would do the same thing and maybe this is normal?

Going to contact Walker soon to ask and smoke it again for some pics.

The front and rear of the muffler usually have weep holes to allow condensation to leak out, which may allow smoke to pass if you are smoke testing.
I've never seen smoke leak out of the seams on a muffler, but that's not to say it isn't possible on an aftermarket muffler.
I've done tons of smoke tests on GM vehicles at my dealership and have never seen it on an o.e. muffler.

Reactions: Vtx531
The front and rear of the muffler usually have weep holes to allow condensation to leak out, which may allow smoke to pass if you are smoke testing.
I've never seen smoke leak out of the seams on a muffler, but that's not to say it isn't possible on an aftermarket muffler.
I've done tons of smoke tests on GM vehicles at my dealership and have never seen it on an o.e. muffler.

I don't see any weep holes and the smoke is escaping from the top as well. Thanks for posting your experiences. I sent an email to the folks that make the muffler.

Here are some pics from today.

02BD10C7-908F-47DD-AAAF-B1D0F9B5CB9E.jpeg

8DDC2397-A4DA-4AF8-BAA8-E7C29C6098EB.jpeg

F79CEF39-3B16-421C-9368-9A37368DAA85.jpeg

24EE1969-7E0D-4F0D-AEC3-FD75F8A1427D.jpeg

Looks rusted out to me. It'll be interesting to hear what they say. Rusting is kinda normal wear on a muffler and not really a defect but I guess it depends on how you look at it.

Reactions: CharlesHS
Looks like they are in line with what @williambmac said. If it isn't rattling or causing issues I'd probably let it go at that. I looked at my Walker SoundFX aluminized and it doesn't have any holes but it's a lower tier. I got mine in 2013 but I live where rust doesn't.

Reactions: Vtx531