Anyone know the type of nut for dashboard center studs?

Southeastern NM, Roswell, or more specific, an area a bit south of Roswell out in the rural area in the midst of farming and agricultural. Lots of hay, alfalfa, corn, milo cultivated for livestock feed. Also why most of the dairies left California and landed in the same area. Cheap land with close proximity to lots of cow fodder.
Cool .

The 03 I just bought also has a noisy rattling dash. I guess I need to see where it’s bolted in and see if I’m missing nuts as well. Where exactly do I look for these missing nuts, I’m not real familiar with the Jeep yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to remove the defrost panel cover to see them. No screws in it, just automotive clips. Mine comes out pretty easy. It is item #1 below.

Thank you guys. Are they absent from the factory for a reason or just poor QC that day? Do any have them? I will toss some on and tighten the existing to see if it fixes the rattle. Washboard roads out here shake things loose.

Thank you guys. Are they absent from the factory for a reason or just poor QC that day? Do any have them? I will toss some on and tighten the existing to see if it fixes the rattle. Washboard roads out here shake things loose.
I've taken apart at least 12-15 dashes over the years and they have never been missing.

Checked mine no nuts on the 2 center studs

I figured out the problem with those missing only two nuts. The anti-theft, anti-rattle brace to the back of the OEM radio is held in place with those nuts on the studs. If you have an aftermarket radio, the brace was removed and the nuts not replaced since they likely thought all it held was the brace and not the dash as well.

Reactions: Twopoint
I figured out the problem with those missing only two nuts. The anti-theft, anti-rattle brace to the back of the OEM radio is held in place with those nuts on the studs. If you have an aftermarket radio, the brace was removed and the nuts not replaced since they likely thought all it held was the brace and not the dash as well.

Mine has the factory radio but that doesn’t mean somebody hasn’t swapped it at some point

You may be right Blaine. I can’t remember if I took any nuts off when I swapped the factory radio. I can’t imagine i would not have put it back but it is certainly possible.

Turns out I had a few nuts on hand that fit the studs. Not sure where they are from but they fit.

Snugged the other two up and it seems the middle two definitely tightened things up. I’ll let everyone know after driving if the rattle persist.

Makes perfect sense. The PO had an aftermarket radio put in at Best Buy.