Anyone mounted a Warn 8274 on a TJ?

02GreenTJ

TJ Enthusiast
Yesterday I just picked up a 1975 Warn 8274 for 500 bucks. It has no rust, works fine, but the clutch needs a little work. I have a smittybilt x20 currently, but once I figure out which way I'm gonna mount it and I fix the loose clutch it will go on my Jeep. If any of you guys have mounted one of these on a TJ let me know. Warn is the only one who makes a plate that works with the stock swaybar, but it's $250 so I may make my own.
IMG-3447.JPG

I have one sitting on my kitchen floor right now. It's an amazing winch, but bumper choices are limited

Reactions: 02GreenTJ
Had one on my 97 and zero problems. I went the easy route and just used the Warn mount. Looks like you're is an earlier model than the one I had but still strong and reliable.

Reactions: 02GreenTJ
Yesterday I just picked up a 1975 Warn 8274 for 500 bucks. It has no rust, works fine, but the clutch needs a little work. I have a smittybilt x20 currently, but once I figure out which way I'm gonna mount it and I fix the loose clutch it will go on my Jeep. If any of you guys have mounted one of these on a TJ let me know. Warn is the only one who makes a plate that works with the stock swaybar, but it's $250 so I may make my own.View attachment 113359

KD Fabworks makes one, $30 cheaper for the weld-on version

http://www.kdfabworks.com/Winch-Fairlead-Bracket-for-Warn-8274-50-Winch_p_25.html

Just came across Warns Anniversary Edition upright.... 10,000lb only 999 units made... :unsure:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KQ2Z9XP/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I believe the anniversary edition just has the upgraded motor (70865), contactor instead of solenoid, and a bolt instead of u-clip holding the brake pawl on. All of these upgrades can be done yourself to any 8274. People have also commented that the newer 8274 have poor casting when compared to the older ones.

But if you want bling check this one out.

https://www.warn.com/rare-golden-m8274-found

I believe the anniversary edition just has the upgraded motor (70865), contactor instead of solenoid, and a bolt instead of u-clip holding the brake pawl on. All of these upgrades can be done yourself to any 8274. People have also commented that the newer 8274 have poor casting when compared to the older ones.
I believe so too. The biggest factor being the 6hp motor vs the 4.6hp of the 8274-50. I had never heard anything bad about the 8274-50 casting vs the older 8274, at least not when I got the one I had in 2000.

Ummmm, that's a hard no!!! Looks like that came off one of the Unfortunate(TJ, JK, YJ) vehicles!!!
After reading the whole story vs just seeing this gold colored beast... that is an awesome story!!! I have to agree with Ruth though it deserves to be on display not on a vehicle...

Reactions: skrelnik
Ended up with it on my Jeep for those of you wondering. Crazy story behind it too. It was off a 72 GMC that was my uncles when he was a kid, I bought it off the guy who bought my uncle's truck years and years ago. The winch had the same issues and knot in the cable. So when I bought it and we figured all that out I had no choice but to restore it. Also ended up going with the warn winch plate. (Notice the sticker my buddies from my offroad club put the grandpa sticker on my bumper to make fun of me for liking old stuff like the steelies and the 45 year old winch)
Capture.PNG

Yesterday I just picked up a 1975 Warn 8274 for 500 bucks. It has no rust, works fine, but the clutch needs a little work. I have a smittybilt x20 currently, but once I figure out which way I'm gonna mount it and I fix the loose clutch it will go on my Jeep. If any of you guys have mounted one of these on a TJ let me know. Warn is the only one who makes a plate that works with the stock swaybar, but it's $250 so I may make my own.View attachment 113359

Kurt also makes a bracket but he gets no love from the forum so you do not hear about his shop.

He sells both a weld on version and a bolt on version

http://www.kdfabworks.com/Winch-Fairlead-Bracket-for-Warn-8274-50-Winch_p_25.html
http://www.kdfabworks.com/Winch-Fairlead-Bracket-for-Warn-8274-50-Winch--WELD-ON_p_529.html

Ended up with it on my Jeep for those of you wondering. Crazy story behind it too. It was off a 72 GMC that was my uncles when he was a kid, I bought it off the guy who bought my uncle's truck years and years ago. The winch had the same issues and knot in the cable. So when I bought it and we figured all that out I had no choice but to restore it. Also ended up going with the warn winch plate. (Notice the sticker my buddies from my offroad club put the grandpa sticker on my bumper to make fun of me for liking old stuff like the steelies and the 45 year old winch)View attachment 165715

That is what I love about these older winches, each one has a story. Mine is 3 days older than my wife. 🤣🤣🤣

Story behind my 8274 in a nutshell :
- Word of mouth find ( ...oh my neighbour...)
- previous owner : ... you know back in the earl 1990’s ..., then I rolled my pick up and the winch is the only thing I kept
- got mine for 450.-$ cdn , it was inside a shed for all of 25 years

🤣💯% hasn’t let me down yet ,unspooled 150 feet cable once ( 100 feet were never touched )

- I very seldom pull without snatch block
BF26E135-A01A-4774-8D11-80C70C60C097.jpeg

DETOUR overnout

-•|||||•-👋🏿