Anyone mounted an air compressor where air box was? Please share pics and info

tomintexas97

Good Morning,

I have recently removed the air box on my 2001 TJ and installed a Spectre cowl cold air intake kit. Now that I have the empty space where the air box was i'm looking to mount a ViAir 450c Compressor to use for airing up.

Have any of you mounted an air compressor or anything else in that spot?

Please share pictures or info.

Thanks.

PS. I've looked and looked and cant find info about this. If there is already a thread please let me know. Thanks again!

I'd reinstall the OE air box and mount the compressor on the driver's side mounting surface meant for the optional ABS compressor, that is if your TJ doesn't have ABS. It looks like a battery mounting plate, below the firewall near the power brake booster. There is sufficient space there for most electric air compressors.

CAI kits are notorious for not improving performance on the 4.0L engine, despite the exaggerated claims in the advertisements, while letting in a lot more dirt. Its K&N style air filter is notoriously bad at actually filtering the dirt and dust out of the air.

Last edited:
My ARB is mounted on that empty tray. Definitely recommend it if you dont have abs. Otherwise if you dont want or need your ac you could turn that into OBA

I'd reinstall the OE air box and mount the compressor on the driver's side mounting surface meant for the optional ABS compressor, that is if your TJ doesn't have ABS. It looks like a battery mounting plate, below the firewall near the power brake booster. There is sufficient space there for most electric air compressors.

CAI kits are notorious for not improving performance on the 4.0L engine, despite the exaggerated claims in the advertisements, while letting in a lot more dirt. Its K&N style air filter is notoriously bad at actually filtering the dirt and dust out of the air.
I dont have ABS but it looks like it will be a little tight to get it in that location.

Just went out and took one. Sorry the LJ just finally got put inside for winter cleanup, maintenance and upgrades so it’s dirty.
9CBA33A7-E127-4B92-9F9C-B79BCF425D3C.jpeg

Additionally I may rework some of this as I plan to add a second 480C.

Just went out and took one. Sorry the LJ just finally got put inside for winter cleanup, maintenance and upgrades so it’s dirty.
View attachment 135207
Additionally I may rework some of this as I plan to add a second 480C.
If it's not dirty it's not being used correctly. LOL

I have a 2001 with a manual tranny so the reservoir is in the way as well as all the emissions junk. Boo!

That's where I put my ARB compressor. I know someone who put the much bigger ARB to fill up his tires there too, it's a tight squeeze for sure

20170702_210520_20170702_210521.jpg