California Anyone near San Diego that can do a manual to automatic transmission swap on a 97 TJ?

kstrongtj

Good morning - My 97TJ V6 is having some transmission issues and may need to be rebuilt. If I am going to need to pull the transmission anyways I am thinking about maybe swapping out for an automatic. Any recommendations???? Location - San Diego CA

Good morning - My 97TJ V6 is having some transmission issues and may need to be rebuilt. If I am going to need to pull the transmission anyways I am thinking about maybe swapping out for an automatic. Any recommendations???? Location - San Diego CA

What V-6 do you have in your TJ?

If you have the Jeep 4.0 6 cylinder then you have a I-6 not a V-6. I-6 means it is a inline engine.

As far as swapping a auto into your TJ one popular swap is to use the AW4 found in Jeep Cherokee engines.

https://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/aw-4/aw-4-1.htm
https://tinyurl.com/y3ydvdlm

Reactions: DrDmoney
The 32RH came stock in the 97 - 02 models. It's a three speed and will bolt in without a bunch of modifications. You would be better off finding a donor vehicle, because you'll need pedals, shifter, and a few other parts.

As @Wildman said, your other option is a AW4 out of an XJ Cherokee. This one is a four speed automatic, but requires extra wiring harness work.

Reactions: Wildman
That's a fairly easy swap, I replaced my '97 TJ's AX-15 with the 32RH automatic 16 or 17 years ago.

You'll need a replacement ECM (engine computer) programmed for the 32RH transmission, different transmission mount, a minor modification to the skidplate to accommodate the different position of the transmission mount, a flex plate to replace the flywheel, shifter (OE console is ok), and odds and ends like mounting hardware. The mounting hardware like the required low-profile bolts for the torque converter might be time consuming but with the Mopar parts guide (which I have a copy for) it shouldn't be hard to locate everything.

You'll also need to replace the output shaft seal on the 32RH with an extended version which is an easy thing to do, you don't need to open the transmission to do it. Its output shaft seal needs to be made longer so the input shaft from the transfer case will be able to seal that opening. Your 231 transfer case has a shorter input shaft which is what the AX-15 transmission needs. It's too short to seal the output of the transmission so ATF will pour out unless you replace the seal with an extended version which is available from several sources.

On the brake pedal conversion that's a non-issue. You can leave the original brake and clutch pedal installed which actually works great. I welded a connector bar between them which makes it really easy to use your left foot on the brake and right foot on the gas while doing technical trail stuff like rock crawling. Or not, you can remove the clutch pedal and just use the slightly smaller manual-transmission style brake pedal which works just as well.

Here's a photo of that setup on my previous TJ...

CIMG2456.JPG

I got mine installed in, I think, one weekend. Once the 32RH is installed and working you'll be smiling from there on.

I can answer, probably, most of your questions as you go along if you decide to do this. The 32RH is a GREAT transmission, it was one of the two best upgrades I have ever done. The other being f/r lockers.

This is an important small step. You have to remove the pilot bearing and it's machined insert from the end of the engine crankshaft. If you don't, the torque converter will not be able to seat properly in the end of the crank and it will be difficult to know whats going on.

Is this swap SMOG legal? I ask because I swapped a 3.4 with auto Trans I to an 85 4Runner that was 5 speed from the factory. Smog ref in Huntington said I would never get a CARB sticker based on the fact the Trans was different

Is this swap SMOG legal? I ask because I swapped a 3.4 with auto Trans I to an 85 4Runner that was 5 speed from the factory. Smog ref in Huntington said I would never get a CARB sticker based on the fact the Trans was different
Depends on the SMOG shop. I've done many swaps, never had an issue with SMOG. The thing that is overlooked in this swap is you should be using the PCM from a same year auto and the VIN in the PCM will show up as correct for the equipment on the rig.

Anyone recommending the AW-4 has one of two things going on. They have never run one or they have very low standards.

Reactions: Chris
Thanks for the clarification. I lost a lot of $$$$ on a perfect swap. Wouldn’t want others to go through that.

Depends on the SMOG shop. I've done many swaps, never had an issue with SMOG. The thing that is overlooked in this swap is you should be using the PCM from a same year auto and the VIN in the PCM will show up as correct for the equipment on the rig.

Anyone recommending the AW-4 has one of two things going on. They have never run one or they have very low standards.

Well I know I have LOW standards and I have done the AW4 swap before on a few TJ's & YJ's and never had any issues.

Well I know I have LOW standards and I have done the AW4 swap before on a few TJ's & YJ's and never had any issues.
It is a crap trans that only has two things going for it, a 4th gear and it's fairly reliable. The cons are it is longer than it needs to be, the pan hangs down too far, it is horribly inefficient and robs power, it runs way hotter than it should, and the OD isn't all that special. It is .75 which makes it only a gear step better than the horrid .69 that the piece of shit 42RLE has. In perspective, the only a gear step means if you have two identical rigs with the two transmissions, 4.88's with the AW and 5.13 and the 42, the RPMs in overdrive will be nearly the same.
42 with 5.13's.
1602286573865.png

AW with 4.88's.
1602286666163.png

No one ever says to swap in a 42 for the same reasons I tell everyone not to swap in an AW-4. The only differences are the AW-4 is a bit more reliable.