Anyone Polished Their Aluminum Skid?

On a similar note. I would like to lightly buff out some scratches on my Savvy Tailgate Armor. What products and method would I use to do this?

View attachment 219758
If it’s not scratched, use mother’s aluminum polish and a foam cut pad then buff it again with a foam finish pad. Clean off with a microfiber cloth.
Here’s a rim from my truck 340K miles, stripped the peeling clear coat, wet sand pitted area with 600 then 1200 grit. Then foam pad polish with Mother’s.
1611275441869.jpeg

If it’s not scratched, use mother’s aluminum polish and a foam cut pad then buff it again with a foam finish pad. Clean off with a microfiber cloth.
Here’s a rim from my truck 340K miles, stripped the peeling clear coat, wet sand pitted area with 600 then 1200 grit. Then foam pad polish with Mother’s.
View attachment 219949
That looks amazing. And so simple. Sounds like something a conservative would do.

Reactions: Farmergreg
@JMT Do 320 grit, to 400 grit, and finish with 600. If you want a nicer finish go to 800 and then 1200. If you want it to shine then use some polish after.
Ok, this is my plan. I got the sandpaper tonight. If I don’t do a good job, I’ll just wrap it, but I love that bare aluminum look.

Plus, it’s something to do.

Thank you.

Ok, this is my plan. I got the sandpaper tonight. If I don’t do a good job, I’ll just wrap it, but I love that bare aluminum look.

Thank you.
I like to do wet sanding instead of dry at well. Little messier but no aluminum dust to breathe in and wipes clean.

Thank you.
Fresh aluminum shouldn’t need any coarse grit or sanding at all. I’d start with a medium foam buffing pad and Mother’s and see what you come up with.

(disclaimer, had a Cessna 172 that I’ve got more hours polishing than flying)

• Haha
Reactions: JMT
Fresh aluminum shouldn’t need any coarse grit or sanding at all. I’d start with a medium foam buffing pad and Mother’s and see what you come up with.

(disclaimer, had a Cessna 172 that I’ve got more hours polishing than flying)
So, I'd need a random orbital buffer and then the pads?

It really depends on what finish you have as an end goal.
I don't even really know, just mainly want to get rid of the light scratches that probably took place during shipping.

So, I'd need a random orbital buffer and then the pads?
I stopped at an automotive paint shop, they had a kit with 3 foam pads 3" diameter and a velcro spindle that you can put in a drill. the 3" worked well for rims. I also have a big Milwaukee buffer for large areas and mainly use foam pads.