Anyone rebuilt a floor jack?

pcoplin

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
We have two of these older floor Jack's that bleed off. Actually the handle stop doesn't have a positive stop, either. May be the design, not sure.

Anyone ever have luck rebuilding the hydraulics on these?
c206a7df5d9866d69bfbcd4eab26a0c2.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Is it even worth it? You can get a brand new one from Harbor Freight for $89 plus a 20% off coupon.

Those HF jacks are actually really nice. Mine has lasted me over a decade now.

I don't like everything from Harbor Freight, but some of the stuff is actually pretty decent.

Reactions: RonnieS and Boinked
The red one lifts higher than my orange HF jacks. More Jack's are better. :) Rebuild kits are like $25.

The red one lifts higher than my orange HF jacks. More Jack's are better. :) Rebuild kits are like $25.

My HF jack is silver, and while it lifts very high, my TJ is just slightly too tall for it now.

If $25 is what a rebuild costs, then I guess that's a no brainer.

I just finished reassembling a transmission jack that was brought to me in a box. It’s a professional grade Gray Manufacturing 800lb. High lift. First stage is air, second stage is hydraulic. Works good. I would disassemble it before purchasing seals to make sure the hard parts are in acceptable condition. The transmission jack I put together was disassembled by a local hydraulic shop. They would not reseal it due to cylinder bore pitting on the air side. As a business I would have recommended the same thing. I reassembled it with the old seals and it works fine. The seal kit would have been $135. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not like a new one. It’s has lateral movement at maximum height, but it’s still usable. Especially since a replacement is $2000.

Reactions: pcoplin