Anyone run BFG T/A KO2's?

derekmac

TJ Addict
I'm on the hunt for new tires, but am unsure of what I want to get. I was leaning towards a mud tire, but I didn't enjoy running mud tires in the winter before. I won't buy Duratracs because of my (and many others) experiences of cutting sidewalls.

This brings me to the KO2's. From what I've read online, they seem like a good tire, with good sidewall strength. I don't know anyone local that runs them though, so haven't been able to see them in action myself.

I try and stay out of mud (mud is the devil!! lol), but most trails do have some mud sections.

I know there are a few guys on the forum who run these tires. I'll wait for them to see this.

Yup, brand new set of 5 KO2'S on the SE. Can't say much more than they balanced up nicely, and have worked well so far.

Have you had the chance to run them through any mud at all?

I suspect not, since it is Summer and all.

Nope, no mud that we'd call mud. They seem to clean reasonably well for light mud. But like you said, Chris, it's not really that time of year here yet.

Reactions: Chris
BFG's All Terrain KO2 may be better in mud than the previous version BFG All Terrain KO was that was notoriously TERRIBLE in mud, but it's not likely that much better. If mud is often unavoidable, I would avoid any "all terrain" tire whose tread blocks are typically close enough together that they're hard to clean the mud out by tire spin. All terrains typically easily pack smooth with mud which turns them into ineffective slicks in mud.

If you like the BFG line, I'd go for their Mud Terrain KM2. It is not specifically only good for mud, it's a very good all-around tire that wears well on the highway and is pretty quiet too.

I'm not just pimping them because I run them, I don't, but they're just a good all-around tire that I see all the time on the trail.

I personally run the Goodyear kevlar MT/R but it's not a cheap tire and probably isn't necessary for 97% of the offroad trails out there. I used to run both of those BFGs (MTs and earlier, ATs) years ago but my local extremely sharp rocks liked to slice them up too easily.

Last edited:
Reactions: derekmac
I was worried about how they might pack up in mud. I've ran the KM's before, and was very happy with them. I do like the price of the KO2's over the others though, especially the Kevlar MT/R's!! lol Those Kevlar tires are drool worthy though!! :) Different parts of the province have a lot of shale, and I've seen more than a few tires get sliced. I'd get them, but they are too far out of my price range.

I also know a few guys that run these tires, and they LOVE them offroad. http://ssl.sweethomecny.com/rogerstires/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=109 (ignore that size) They are a remold though, but I don't know anyone that has had a problem with them. For a set of 31x10.5x15, they run close to $200 cheaper than the KO2's. They also measure out to about 32.5", which would actually be good, since I want to get 33's. They look to be a copy of the Yokohama Geolander M/T.

Road manners would suck with them though. But I do have an almost new set of Toyo AT's on rims that I could run, but swapping rims every other weekend would be a bit of a pain.

Buying tires sucks!! lol

Last edited:
I have a set of the AT KO2's, 32x11.5 and I have put about 6k miles on them. I have had them in deep loose sand and they do great. On the road they are quiet and seem to wear well, I don't see any wear yet. They are quieter than the Duratracs that I have on another vehicle. In the mud they perform surprisingly well. A few days ago I was running a very wet, rutty section of mud and they powered right through.

Daniel

I run these on my TJ and love them! I will say I do not go mudding I'm just flat roads. They look good and feel great.

I've just put my first 1,000 miles on my new 5-pack. (31x10.5x15).
IMG_4715.jpg

It's been raining just about non stop here for the past 4 months being hurricane season and all but I have put them through a ton of wet, marshy, sandy, stuff we have here. I've felt like they were doing their thing in mud which I had to go search for but I would highly recommend these tires and I will probably never buy a different tire again. I do not primarily drive or interact with mud often enough to buy a M/T but these A/T's are in my opinion, one of the best options out there.

And the sidewalls on these things are stronger than the sidewalls on the Duratracs? If so, I may have to try these out once my Duratracs are done for.

And the sidewalls on these things are stronger than the sidewalls on the Duratracs? If so, I may have to try these out once my Duratracs are done for.
I believe so, they have been improved substantially in this 2nd Gen.

What size you running Chris? Just curious. I actually bought mine through Amazon, lol. Was a first for me.

I believe so, they have been improved substantially in this 2nd Gen.

What size you running Chris? Just curious. I actually bought mine through Amazon, lol. Was a first for me.

I'm running 33". I haven't had any issues with the sidewalls at all, but it seems that some people have.

I had them on my cj7(32x11.50) and they were quiet, great in the rain, and wore like iron . When I sold the cj, the tires had nearly 40,000 miles on them, and still had 2/3 of the tread left. I only kept up on tire pressure, but never rotated them, and the cj had an AMC 360, t-18 4 speed, and 4:10 gears, so they didn't have an easy life.

Reactions: StG58
From the research I've done, the sidewall is supposed to be pretty damn strong on the KO2. It's one of the reasons I'm being pulled towards them.