Anyone running 10" wide wheels on Rubicon?

LD68

Supporting Member
Trying to get everything together so I can do my lift over Christmas and I am down to wheels. Not sure if I want a 15x8 or 15x10. Taking backspacing and width of the wheels I am considering into account the 8s would stick out 1.25 farther than stock, the 10s would stick out 3" farther. Its hard to visualize this, plenty of pics out there of 15x8s with 3.75 backspacing. Anyone have pics of 15x10 with 4" bs? I like a wide stance on my lifted vehicles, really leaning toward the 10s.

You don't want 10" wide wheels unless you're running a massive tire (i.e. a 37X14.5).

Reactions: Alex01
Maybe I should exain better. Lifted = higher center of gravity, I want a wider footprint for the street, I also want a tamer tread for the street and aluminum wheels that will balance better.
Off-road tires will be mounted on steelies, softer compound, and more agressive tread.
I am sure they make some nice dual purpose tires these days but I am old school and prefer a street tire for the street and a very aggressive tread offroad. Don't care for the aggressive tread slapping on blacktop. Off-road tires will bulge past sidewalls as they should to protect the bead so yes an 8" wheel. I also don't care for this set up on the street as it's less stable at higher speeds.
Also may use 4 low when I am off road and disconnect the sway bars but I do not intend to do that on the street... if that's ok with you guys...all I asked was if anyone had a pic.

Lemme see. A friend of mine runs 10 in wide wheels on her LJ with 33 x 12.5 tires. They stick WAY out...She likes it.

1543674965640.png

Maybe I should exain better. Lifted = higher center of gravity, I want a wider footprint for the street, I also want a tamer tread for the street and aluminum wheels that will balance better.
Off-road tires will be mounted on steelies, softer compound, and more agressive tread.
I am sure they make some nice dual purpose tires these days but I am old school and prefer a street tire for the street and a very aggressive tread offroad. Don't care for the aggressive tread slapping on blacktop. Off-road tires will bulge past sidewalls as they should to protect the bead so yes an 8" wheel. I also don't care for this set up on the street as it's less stable at higher speeds.
Also may use 4 low when I am off road and disconnect the sway bars but I do not intend to do that on the street... if that's ok with you guys...all I asked was if anyone had a pic.
Generally, when people ask this question the assumption is that will be using the same set of wheels/tires both on and offroad. Why not just get a popular size wheel 15x8 with 3.75-4 inch backspacing then run a spacer to kick it out to fit your desired look? Down the line if you decide you like the look of the new wheel more you could swap it to your offroad set and it would make them easier to sell in the future.

Lemme see. A friend of mine runs 10 in wide wheels on her LJ with 33 x 12.5 tires. They stick WAY out...She likes it.

View attachment 65910
Got a front view? Thanks for a pic. I always had two sets of wheels/ tires for my 4x4s and plan to do that with the Jeep. Nasty mudders for off-road and street tread for road. Mudders on undersized wheels ran with minimal air pressure are appropriate off road, street tires on proper sized wheels provide maximum contact and stability but minor vibration. I like the wide tire mean Jeep look too

Got a front view? Thanks for a pic. I always had two sets of wheels/ tires for my 4x4s and plan to do that with the Jeep. Nasty mudders for off-road and street tread for road. Mudders on undersized wheels ran with minimal air pressure are appropriate off road, street tires on proper sized wheels provide maximum contact and stability but minor vibration. I like the wide tire mean Jeep look too
No, I don't I creeped her FB page for that pic.

Generally, when people ask this question the assumption is that will be using the same set of wheels/tires both on and offroad. Why not just get a popular size wheel 15x8 with 3.75-4 inch backspacing then run a spacer to kick it out to fit your desired look? Down the line if you decide you like the look of the new wheel more you could swap it to your offroad set and it would make them easier to sell in the future.
A buddy of mine has a nice set of 15x10 American Racing outlaw 2 wheels I can get on a trade for a set of Harley heads. Planned to use them to mount the street tires. Will most likely get a set of 8" black steelies for the mudders.
I should have explained better in my original post. My apologies, had bud goggle on.

8" vs. 10" wheel width has been debated on the Internet jeep forums for 20 years or more. Each camp has a list of "reasons" why their preference is the "correct" choice but the reality is that for a 33x12.5 or 35x12.5 tire one can run either width with success and it is really a matter of personal preference.

To @LD68: Run the wheels you like best.

Reactions: MaloStapalo and ac_
8" vs. 10" wheel width has been debated on the Internet jeep forums for 20 years or more. Each camp has a list of "reasons" why their preference is the "correct" choice but the reality is that for a 33x12.5 or 35x12.5 tire one can run either width with success and it is really a matter of personal preference.

To @LD68: Run the wheels you like best.
Agreed. Just searching for a front view pic of a Rubi with 10" wheels to help with decision. Have had no luck using Google and hoped someone here could assist.

Maybe something to think about here:
On my old YJ I ran 10inch wheels for may years. I had front and rear lockers and beat the living crap out of it. I never once had any issues on-road or off-road with a 10 in tire.

That said the tires stuck out pretty far. I didn't mind it myself, but if you live in an area where cops bug you about flaps, they could be a problem. You could cover them with deeper flares, but I didn't. I didn't really get hassled, probably because I had a massive lift. BTW My tires were BFG MT's 33x12.5r15s.

The bad well as I mentioned before they stuck out of the fenders pretty far. i know you can take care of some of that with back spacing but not really or you will be rubbing under the Jeep.

The other bad is that when you are out wheeling, you will scrape the rims on rocks there is no protection they are out there.

With a 8 inch rim it gives you more sidewall and it will scrape before the rim does. By the time I sold my Jeep my rims look like I kept taking them to horrible tire installers.

I am running 8 inch now with 33x12x5r15. I actually like it better myself, but I am getting older and a little calmer.

So you could choose either but I think you will get less rim damage on a 8incher.

Not exactly what you are looking for but here is my BGFs with 33x12.5r15s on a 10 wheel. Keep in mind that is on a 6" lift.
im000359.jpg

Also a YJ ^^

Here is my TJ with 33x12.5r15s with 8" wheels:

IMG-0553.JPG

If you look you can see that on the 10" the sidewall is almost flat, but it is more rounded on the 8" both sets of tires are the exact same size.

Reactions: LD68

I think I will try the spacer idea to see how it looks, good idea