Anyone running 5.13 gears in their 4 cylinder TJ?

tank

Now that the 5.13 gears have been available for a while for the Dana 35, I'm curious how many of you have put them in your Dana 35 on your four banger, 5 speed manual, and how you are liking them? I know in the past everyone recommended 4.88's with the 2.5l four banger; but, I was just curious about your real world experience with the 5.13 gears and the four cylinder. Are you glad you went with the 5.13 or do you wish you would have went with the 4.88's? I've been looking all over and have read a few threads about this; but, I have not heard back that much real world experience from folks who have actually done it and have been running them for a while. I am running 33" tires and will not go any larger. Thanks!

Last edited:
While I have no real world input on this, the gear ratio is going to depend on the tire size as well as the transmission.

Though I suppose in the case of the 4 cylinder, you need all the power you can get, so perhaps the usual thought process goes out the window?

Reactions: tank
While I have no real world input on this, the gear ratio is going to depend on the tire size as well as the transmission.

Though I suppose in the case of the 4 cylinder, you need all the power you can get, so perhaps the usual thought process goes out the window?
You're right. I forgot to include my 33" tire size in my original post. I edited it and added that. I plan on regearing soon. I'm still debating back and forth between the 4.88's and 5.13's.

While I don't have a 4 cylinder, I used to own a 4 cylinder XJ, so I know how they drive. That being said, I'd probably be inclined to go with the 5.13 gears, just because on a 4 cylinder you need all the power you can get, especially with 33" tires and more weight.

I'd be curious to know if anyone has put 5.13s in theres yet though. @Rob5589, @StG58, @TJ4Jim... any of you guys do it?

I did some of the initial testing for the Revolution Dana 35-5.13s and Dana 30 reverse 5.13s in my old TJ. '97 with 4cyl, automatic, and 35"s. I would say the 5.13's are perfect for the 4cyl. TJ's auto or manual with 33" tires. I tried to break anything in Moab and running around the desert in Las Vegas. They held up great.
10411788_10202866661649234_4492887616690091459_n.jpg

While I don't have a 4 cylinder, I used to own a 4 cylinder XJ, so I know how they drive. That being said, I'd probably be inclined to go with the 5.13 gears, just because on a 4 cylinder you need all the power you can get, especially with 33" tires and more weight.

I'd be curious to know if anyone has put 5.13s in theres yet though. @Rob5589, @StG58, @TJ4Jim... any of you guys do it?

I run the stock 4:10's with 31's, no plans to go for larger tires at this time.

Reactions: Chris
I had 4.88s in my 5spd and while I absolutely loved the difference compared to the 4.10s for my 33s, I would have like a little more gearing like the 5.13s

I did some of the initial testing for the Revolution Dana 35-5.13s and Dana 30 reverse 5.13s in my old TJ. '97 with 4cyl, automatic, and 35"s. I would say the 5.13's are perfect for the 4cyl. TJ's auto or manual with 33" tires. I tried to break anything in Moab and running around the desert in Las Vegas. They held up great. View attachment 41224
That’s what I like to hear!

If running 33's, definitely go 5.13. I run 4.88 and 31's and it works great. 33's are a good step up from 31's, however.

I wish 5.13s would have been available when I did my gears. The extra 200 rpm at highway speed would be nice.

Reactions: Wildman