Anyone running a 2-piece hard top?

Neil Sears

TJ Enthusiast
I’m interested in this option and wanted to hear your experiences?

Also I would love to see pictures with the top front on and back off (could not find a single pic in this configuration on the web).

Thanks, Neil

D21EE3E1-53DB-4F13-B081-11DAE78F7D19.jpeg

1C542A61-AEE8-4F75-914A-5B66278F6DD4.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 02FlameRed
I picked one up just like the on in the picture this past summer off CL. Made by Steel Horse and fully insulated. Mine is pretty worn out and going to get new paint, gaskets and some fiberglass repair over Thanksgiving.

I have not run it without the front panel yet (is it a targa? A non-T T-top?) but can do that tomorrow and give you an update.

Please excuse the Pep-Boys hood scoop, I am still undoing the sins of the previous owners, and yes, there is a massive sawzall hole in the hood under said scoop.

6A78FB7F-C9D1-4FC4-B16D-8971785A4E26.jpeg

F62DF4C5-C8F5-46ED-AD58-7F894D3C39B1.jpeg

Reactions: Neil Sears
I picked one up just like the on in the picture this past summer off CL. Made by Steel Horse and fully insulated. Mine is pretty worn out and going to get new paint, gaskets and some fiberglass repair over Thanksgiving.

I have not run it without the front panel yet (is it a targa? A non-T T-top?) but can do that tomorrow and give you an update.

Please excuse the Pep-Boys hood scoop, I am still undoing the sins of the previous owners, and yes, there is a massive sawzall hole in the hood under said scoop.

View attachment 63944

View attachment 63945
Thank you

Took the front piece off and rode around a bit. About as loud as if you had a sunroof but the doors and the back part keep it much more quiet than with no top or doors. Seemed pretty sturdy too, I was worried that it would feel a little shakey pulling in air but it was fine.

As far as just having the front piece on and not the back it is not designed to go that way. The front bit sits on top of the back when it’s all installed so you would have to build a support or something to keep it level.

Reactions: Neil Sears
Hey guys, I have just the rear piece and trying to find the front side but it looks like it will be hard to find. Planning on building it with epoxy for a transparent look. What makes me think about it is all the like pieces to attach it with the rear part. Any advises? Someone with a broken rear part that would like to sell the front piece? lol

hard top.jpg

There are a couple companies making the two piece new. Rally here in So Cal does.

I always hear the two piece tops leak. I don't think I've heard anyone say they have one that doesn't leak. It's always stopped me from going away from an OEM hard top.

There are a couple companies making the two piece new. Rally here in So Cal does.

I always hear the two piece tops leak. I don't think I've heard anyone say they have one that doesn't leak. It's always stopped me from going away from an OEM hard top.

surely it can’t leak any worse then my oem hardtop. have replaced all the seals and it leaks worse than having the cab cover on while running topless. only leaks while sitting still in the rain, not while moving.

The only two-piece top I’ve ever driven with was obnoxiously loud so I got a pretty bad first impression- To me the biggest advantage of the hard top is being quieter if everything is working like it should.