Anyone running a cabin air filter?

tomtaylz

LJR Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
From what I've read TJ's don't have them. The smoke is terrible right now with wildfire season, it would be nice to have some filtration on the air blowing from the vents so I don't need to wear a mask in the Jeep, especially nearer the fire areas or on bad days.

I've seen some people put them on the intake under the cowl, but then your filter is exposed to the elements and I suspect might be susceptible to mold or other issues.

Anyone done this and what was your solution?

At the risk of making light of the fires... ;)
796b6221ec478e2ec8bd57262fd4979d.jpg

If I were in California where you were, I'd be wearing a mask regardless.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but man that smoke is nasty.

Reactions: tomtaylz
Oh no I get it, I mean I feel bad for complaining about the smoke when so many people are getting it much much worse. Masks just aren't comfortable for long period of time and they can add up to be some what expensive, it would be nicer to have decent air in the Jeep, it's one sort of "weakness" if you would on my Jeep being the survival vehicle I like to think of it being.

My buddy was telling me today he saw someone wearing a mask in their tesla model x. Guess a mask was easier then hitting the button for bio weapon defense mode on the giant touch screen.

Have you considered dropping 140k on a tesla model x? As a tech guy you are the target client. Your neighbor may even let you park without complaining.

In all seriousness the smoke was awful today. Hopefully we get rain next week and can be done with fire season for the year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris and tomtaylz
My buddy was tellimg me today he saw someone wearing a mask in their tesla model x. Guess a mask was easier then hitting the button for bio weapon defense mode on the giant touch screen.

Have you considered dropping 140k on a tesla model x? As a tech guy you are the target client. Your neighbor may even let you park without complaining.

In all seriousness the smoke was awful today. Hopefully we get rain next week and can be done with fire season for the year.

I think the bio defense mode is an optional extra haha and I think my company needs to IPO first.

Last edited:
Reactions: StG58
This will probably sound a little crazy, but I am willing to bet that, if you measure that square opening, you can find a HEPA filter for a vacuum cleaner that would fit. Then I think I would build a small 'roof' over it with some sheet metal to keep water from getting directly onto the filter - maybe something just angled, like a hood scoop directed back toward the firewall? You may need to change it pretty frequently, but if the filter is HEPA rated, it will filter out smoke pretty well. Needless to say, the Jeeps are far from air tight, but I would think it would really help.

-T. (just off the top of my head)

Reactions: bobthetj03
This video shows how to get to the area you will need the filter in. I found it interesting since I never have disassembled the cowl before and could visualize the install.

Seems like quite the process (not difficult just time consuming) but if it only needs to be done every 15k or so miles its not a deal breaker.

I can see a this mod being very nice on dusty trails like we will probably experience this weekend.

He starts disassembly around the 4 min mark.

One of the guys in my jeep group, East Valley Rockers, just puts a stock air filter over the vent openings in the cowl. It's not glued there, he just places it upside down and it stays in place. While this would reduce air flow more than a standard cabin filter it's a quick and easy solution. I'll probably measure out a cabin filter for over the intake inside the cowl cover instead. I would think that K&N setup would severely restrict air flow.

DSC02199.JPG