Anyone running a Ford 9" front and rear?

Irun

A vicious cycle of doing, undoing, and re-doing!
Supporting Member
Looking over options for front and rear upgrades, I saw on the Currie site the option for a 9". Is anyone here running a 9" combo front and rear?

I'm wondering the same, I did JK44's but am still interested in other non-Dana 60 options because I don't think i have the HP to think about D60s+40's. i was wondering a fab 9 would be lighter / smaller than a 60? Basically ideal for me would be JK44 currie center casting with Dana 60 kingpin outers.

I'm wondering the same, I did JK44's but am still interested in other non-Dana 60 options because I don't think i have the HP to think about D60s+40's. i was wondering a fab 9 would be lighter / smaller than a 60? Basically ideal for me would be JK44 currie center casting with Dana 60 kingpin outers.

I don't have numbers for weight, but I talked to Currie today and they said the 9" is definitely lighter. It also provides 1" additional clearance over the 60. There were a few other pros as well. On the negative side, the front only has a 1/2 ton outer. This isn't a big deal, because I don't ever see running anything bigger than a 37" tire, which the 9" would handle.

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
I don't have numbers for weight, but I talked to Currie today and they said the 9" is definitely lighter. It also provides 1" additional clearance over the 60. There were a few other pros as well. On the negative side, the front only has a 1/2 ton outer. This isn't a big deal, because I don't ever see running anything bigger than a 37" tire, which the 9" would handle.

That's what I'm running also, 37 max, but want to run 37s with confidence

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
One down side is you have to run 9's front and rear I guess. They dont have standard Dana Gear ratios like 5.13 or 5.38

Last edited:
If you want stronger outers in front can go with something like Diamond axle and build a ‘609’. Gear matching wouldn’t be issue with 9” on both ends. And have to be able to match close enough to work even if don’t as like mentioned front Dana 44 and rear 9” was F150 standard for number of years.

If you really want some bling can go with Hi9 in front.

I may be completely wrong here and I hope somebody corrects me if I am but my understanding is that most if not all fabricated 9” high pinions use an 8.8 ring gear. And I have read about the true hi9 that uses an actual 9” ring has problems with the ring gear cracking.
I’m not trying to sway somebody away from running a 9, in fact I would love to run 9’s in my rig just wondering if anyone else has heard about these issues.

Reactions: MallCrawlOnTons
I may be completely wrong here and I hope somebody corrects me if I am but my understanding is that most if not all fabricated 9” high pinions use an 8.8 ring gear. And I have read about the true hi9 that uses an actual 9” ring has problems with the ring gear cracking.
I’m not trying to sway somebody away from running a 9, in fact I would love to run 9’s in my rig just wondering if anyone else has heard about these issues.
I haven’t heard bad stuff about the hi9 - but those I know who have it don’t abuse their rigs as well so I’m not sure.

Now you have given me reason for more reading and questions to ask. I swear the more I learn about setting up jeep the less I know.

Reactions: JMT
Don’t JK’s use an 8.8 ring gear?

I haven’t heard bad stuff about the hi9 - but those I know who have it don’t abuse their rigs as well so I’m not sure.
Yeah there used to be a local forum with some “Gleed Boyz”, Blane I think was his name and he had a flatty buggy he built (pretty nice) and had some problems with the true Hi9, I read some more into the issue since my brother wants some for his early bronco. Still don’t know but still like them

Don’t JK’s use an 8.8 ring gear?
I think so, but a fabled 9 should have stronger knuckles and tubes, but don’t know for sure. But for the rear ford 8.8’s??? I know there’s some fab work. I’ve been torn between an L.P and H.P. 9 thinking about this for some time because of all this but until I bust my 44 to an unrepairable state, I don’t care too much

You're pretty much in the same boat either way. Can a Dana 44 accept 35 spline inners? Yep. Is the jk rubicon pinion a bigger step up? Yep. Do people run HP Dana 30's with lockers and 4340 shafts without breakage? Yep. I only say this because I looked at 9's front and rear. It's major $$$ to actually make it worth it. It can be lightweight and high clearance. Ultra4 class seems to like them. What is your goal performance envelope?

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I wonder if Hi9 failures were in front or rear application?

The TruHi9 website has a nice outline (marketing?) of why it’s ring and pinion is stronger than Dana 60.

I think a lot of racing applications are running gearwork 3rds which is 10” ring gear and looks super beefy.

Any custom axle setup is going to be $$. Hopefully if done right a one time cost other than upkeep.

One down side is you have to run 9's front and rear I guess. They dont have standard Dana Gear ratios like 5.13 or 5.38

They do have a 5.14, which would be close enough to 5.13 to rub. They also have a 5.29 option, which would work better for me. However, this would drive me towards a 9 front and rear.

They do have a 5.14, which would be close enough to 5.13 to rub. They also have a 5.29 option, which would work better for me. However, this would drive me towards a 9 front and rear.
Are you already 9 inch in the rear?

Are you already 9 inch in the rear?

No, I'm on 44s front and rear. What started me down this path is my buddies. I mainly wheel with a group of 1st Generation Broncos. They all run 9" rears and 44 fronts. This was stock of Fords for a while.

Edit: Forgot to mention they all run 37" tires, heavy wheels and V8s. I haven't seen any issues with them, other than broken front U joints.