Anyone running or installed a lunchbox locker?

JamesAndTheSahara

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I am planning on getting and installing a no-slip powertrax lunchbox locker in my Dana 30. Has anyone here ever installed or is currently running a lunchbox locker? Is it something someone decently mechanically inclined could manage? I have full intention of going with an ARB or e-locker in the rear and having a shop put one in, in the future.

I like this plan. It’s my plan in the future. I’ve read that it can be a DIY.

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
I do Install an Spartan one on my Dana 30. Fairly simple if mechanically inclined. Tons of info on How to but if you need details let me know and I can put some together for you. Need a Torque wrench and a table with a 4" jaw vise will be helpful.
Can't advise you yet on performance as I does not have the chance to test it where I can compare it vs when it was open but is mostly invisible.

I do Install an Spartan one on my Dana 30. Fairly simple if mechanically inclined. Tons of info on How to but if you need details let me know and I can put some together for you. Need a Torque wrench and a table with a 4" jaw vise will be helpful.
Can't advise you yet on performance as I does not have the chance to test it where I can compare it vs when it was open but is mostly invisible.
I appreciate your input! When you test it out drop the input here :D.

Reactions: Jorge Bolivar
Know which lunchbox locker you want to go with?
No slip power trax, same as you. I looked at the Aussie. I’m Sure it’s fine, I just prefer it to be invisible. @CasterTroy said some guys blew out their lunchbox lockers at Moab this year, so it’s important to have that full rear locker

I didn't seem to have too many problems hanging with these guys open front/LSD rear.
20151205_131717.jpg

I didn't seem to have too many problems hanging with these guys open front/LSD rear.
View attachment 25889
Funny how with my very small amount of experience in the rocks having a locker in the front is preferable than being open. Its hard to guess what kind of wheeling I'll be doing in the future because I could end up anywhere. In a perfect world I'm guessing selectable lockers front and rear is really the only way to tackle any terrain.

Reactions: JMT and bobthetj03
Funny how with my very small amount of experience in the rocks having a locker in the front is preferable than being open. Its hard to guess what kind of wheeling I'll be doing in the future because I could end up anywhere. In a perfect world I'm guessing selectable lockers front and rear is really the only way to tackle any terrain.

I need to find the seeds you used to plant YOUR money tree sir.

Reactions: Jaime313 and JMT
Very straight forward. I run an Aussie currently and ran front and rear No Slips in the past. You will need to remove the carrier which takes the longest time. They all set up about the same, only minor differences so as not to infringe on other designs.

The NS will be quieter than the Aussie. The Aussie makes a light "tick" when turning where as the NS is quiet. Whether that difference is worth the 100 bucks more for the NS is up to you. For myself it wasn't, that 100 was better spent elsewhere.

I am planning on getting and installing a no-slip powertrax lunchbox locker in my Dana 30. Has anyone here ever installed or is currently running a lunchbox locker? Is it something someone decently mechanically inclined could manage? I have full intention of going with an ARB or e-locker in the rear and having a shop put one in, in the future.
That's exactly what I installed into my previous TJ's front axle and it was awesome. Completely undetectable in 2wd on the street, it didn't even click/ratchet through turns like other lunchbox lockers do. It was silent and unnoticeable on the street in 2wd.

But if you're on an ice or snow covered paved road, keep it in 2wd. Shifting into 4Hi on ice or snow covered streets would lock up the No-Slip and steering would be very dicey. In that kind of environment I'd go for a selectable locker there.

Last edited:
James, if your going to be on snow and ice much, and you’ll need 4wdHi, as per^^^, just save for the selectables front and rear and be done with it, as I think you previously suggested. I’ve also thought about just doing the rear and leaving the front open

I helped a friend with a lunchbox (Spartan). Took us a couple hours and neither of us had done one before. Pretty easy. The hardest part was actually getting the diff out of the housing.
Very straight forward. I run an Aussie currently and ran front and rear No Slips in the past. You will need to remove the carrier which takes the longest time. They all set up about the same, only minor differences so as not to infringe on other designs.

The NS will be quieter than the Aussie. The Aussie makes a light "tick" when turning where as the NS is quiet. Whether that difference is worth the 100 bucks more for the NS is up to you. For myself it wasn't, that 100 was better spent elsewhere.
That's exactly what I installed into my previous TJ's front axle and it was awesome. Completely undetectable in 2wd on the street, it didn't even click/ratchet through turns like other lunchbox lockers do. It was silent and unnoticeable on the street in 2wd.

But if you're on an ice or snow covered paved road, keep it in 2wd. Shifting into 4Hi on ice or snow covered streets would lock up the No-Slip and steering would be very dicey. In that kind of environment I'd go for a selectable locker there.
James, if your going to be on snow and ice much, and you’ll need 4wdHi, as per^^^, just save for the selectables front and rear and be done with it, as I think you previously suggested. I’ve also thought about just doing the rear and leaving the front open
Thank you all for your input, I’ve definitely got some thinking to do.

I see rocks significantly more than I see ice/snow so I don’t know why I’m even considering that to be an issue. Probably going to go with the no slip after the holidays settle down. Thank you all for the input, again!

Reactions: JMT
I put an Aussie in my Dana 30. It is quite simply the best mod I have ever done for off-roading. I have a limited slip in the rear, and I feel like I can go anywhere. I don't hear any clicking , but then again the stereo is loud and I'm losing my hearing so it's all good. I highly recommend a lunchbox up front.