Anyone sharpen drill bits by hand?

It either spins you around or breaks your damn hand

1656422292466.png

• Haha
Reactions: P man
I searched you tube: hand sharpen drill bits. A short video came up of an older machinist who shows how it’s done. I’ve been using his technique and getting acceptable results but I still have to work on improving my technique.
I’ll see if I can find the vid again and post it here.

Reactions: P man and JMT
Well I had a nice explanation typed up until my page refreshed..

when drilling through different types of steel it’s important to watch your chips. Nice curly chips are what you’re after. Powdery type chip are a sign of too much speed/pressure On the bit. Controlling those variables is a bit difficult though when it comes to using a hand drill and working in out of position situations. In a shop setting you’d be able to dial in your feed/speed for maximum tool life. In the driveway, most people give it all they’ve got and hope for the best haha

Most people run bits too fast from what I’ve seen. I have had pretty good results with a drill dr once I learned how to use it. I have also found a fine grinding wheel works much better for sharpening.

Last edited:
Most people run bits too fast from what I’ve seen. I have had pretty good results with a drill dr once I learned how to use it. I have also found a fine grinding wheel works much better for sharpening.

I'm definitely a too fast guy..I have learned a little oil and a big reduction in rpms really extends the life of the bits.

Reactions: tr21triton
I often tell them "you hear that high pitched squeal while your drilling?" Yeah, you're fucking the bit and work hardening the material. Now you are really going to dull a bit trying to get through.

I can hear the sound in my head..if you know you know

I have a HUGE respect for guys who can sharpen bits by hand. I wouldn't even try it, I don't have the finesse required. I bought a Drill Doctor a couple of years ago and its FANTASTIC! You just have to follow their instructions to the letter and let the holder dingus rock like its supposed to. If I even *think* a bit isn't as sharp as it could be, I'll run it through the DD, and then often get foot long curls of metal when I drill with it. I even put a new end on a broken bit with the thing, works fine now.

For bigger jobs, I use this drill:

492.jpg

Low speed, high torque! And yes, the bit was probably about due a touchup at this point.