Anyone swapped a 3.0 diesel from a JK into a TJ?

A V6 turbo diesel from what vehicle?

The most common swap in our TJs in terms of diesels is the Cummins 4BT swab, which is a 4 cylinder turbo.

Diesels are too heavy for off-roading our TJs in my opinion, and the older ones are so damn noisy they'll rattle your fillings and ear drums out, especially if you ever go out with the top off and the doors off. I rode in one once and it was a nightmare!

If I was going to swap in anything, it would be a V8.

A V6 turbo diesel from what vehicle?

The most common swap in our TJs in terms of diesels is the Cummins 4BT swab, which is a 4 cylinder turbo.

Diesels are too heavy for off-roading our TJs in my opinion, and the older ones are so damn noisy they'll rattle your fillings and ear drums out, especially if you ever go out with the top off and the doors off. I rode in one once and it was a nightmare!

If I was going to swap in anything, it would be a V8.
The 3L is in the JK’s over here, not sure if they do them in the USA, being common rail it’s a bit quieter than the old bangers, another thought is the ZD30 in our Nissan patrols, again common rail.
I did originally think of a LS3 but the TJ just don’t carry much fuel which can be an issue here

The 3L is in the JK’s over here, not sure if they do them in the USA, being common rail it’s a bit quieter than the old bangers, another thought is the ZD30 in our Nissan patrols, again common rail.
I did originally think of a LS3 but the TJ just don’t carry much fuel which can be an issue here

Ahhh, we don’t have those JK diesels in the U.S.

Those are newer diesels so they are much quieter. I think that actually would be a good swap since it’s coming from a Jeep, so it would automatically be an easier swap I think than if it didn’t come from a Jeep.

I’m not sure I have heard of anyone doing this swap yet.

Not to change the topic but I have seen a suzuki diesel in Asia. That was a kick-ass little devil :devil-flip:
Nope, there’s a few good ones around, I was looking at the Hilux diesel as well , the common rail stuff adds some electronic hassles to the deal but they’re pretty economical, light and plenty of power around 170- 200 hp

Yeah, I was looking at a few engines , weight is a bit of an issue, I should just give the 4.0 a bit of work , cam, head , compression , and leave it fairly original.
Have you taken a look at some mild to moderate 4.0 stroker kits?
Keep the rebore to the minimum, 0.10 over for heat reasons. Now u have a new bottom end-throw in a valve job and u basically have a new higher HP 4.0

Reactions: Head Lice and Chris
Have you taken a look at some mild to moderate 4.0 stroker kits?
Keep the rebore to the minimum, 0.10 over for heat reasons. Now u have a new bottom end-throw in a valve job and u basically have a new higher HP 4.0

Yep, that's what I'm doing to mine. Putting in a 4.7 stroker kit. Should be enough to net me around 220rwhp, which is plenty!

Reactions: Head Lice and KCsTJ
The 3.0 Motori diesel from a Grand Cherokee or Ram 1500 would be a nice swap. Believe that is what the OP is asking about. We just don't get it in a Wrangler here, yet.

Your TJ will stoop down due to a very heavy V8 engine.
The 4.0L weighs 483 pounds
Most V8s weight between 500-575 pounds, thats not that much of a difference. It could be accounted for with heavier rated springs or a small spring spacer.

The 3.0 Motori diesel from a Grand Cherokee or Ram 1500 would be a nice swap. Believe that is what the OP is asking about. We just don't get it in a Wrangler here, yet.
Actually we do! The 3.0 V6 diesel is available in the JLs 2020 and newer. And as for OPs question I haven't seen anyone swap one in yet. It probably would be a pretty nice option seeing as how it would use Mopar wiring, have more power than the 4BT, and have the benefits of modern fuel economy and quietness.

Reactions: Davidtj
Ferget a V8 - go with a GMC big block V6! ;) :D They weigh in at just under 800 lbs, a *manly* engine! That'd put a squat in your springs for sure! Or for a diesel, how about a Cat D6600?!? Dunno what the weight would be, but its 660 CID of massive torque and little horsepower!

Actually we do! The 3.0 V6 diesel is available in the JLs 2020 and newer. And as for OPs question I haven't seen anyone swap one in yet. It probably would be a pretty nice option seeing as how it would use Mopar wiring, have more power than the 4BT, and have the benefits of modern fuel economy and quietness.
Shows how much I know about modern wranglers. I knew they had a diesel option, but did not know it was the same as the Ram and GK. Hear it's a good engine with a marine background. Has to be tough if it survives marine application running at WOT for days on end.

The 4.0 is a HEAVY motor - something like 490lbs. 5.3 vortec is closer to 390-400 I though? And shorter so more weight behind axles, closer to center.